What's new

Blackland Blackbird Ti - Satin Only Thoughts

I've ordered a few things from China over the years... I know it will take around 3 weeks before I'll see the package. Somehow, ordering from Canada seems like it should get here quicker but in reality, it's about the same.
The main difference for me is that when I order stuff from China I have no idea what's going to arrive and if it's going to remotely resemble what I actually ordered.

The main difference for me is that when I order stuff from China I have no idea what's going to arrive and if it's going to remotely resemble what I actually ordered.
Having thought about this a bit more I must say that my local Chinese takeaway is exactly the same. Must be a cultural thing.

I actually sold the machined finish a few weeks ago. I am not sure if I will ever use the bead blasted or if it will just go up for sale…

I’ve been spending a lot of time with a Tatara Nodachi Ti on a pass around and enjoy it. Both are great razors, I think it’s the short handle of the BB that is killing my drive to use it.

I think it’s the short handle of the BB that is killing my drive to use it.
I too thought the BB Ti handle was going to be too short, it’s my shortest handle, but you would be making a mistake. Before listing the razor on the BST, try holding the razor just below the head by pinching the handle—it’ll quickly become natural and a wonderful razor to experience. David @never-stop-learning named it his favorite DE, that’s no small feat for someone who has extensive experience using a lot of DE razors. Just my advice.

I too thought the BB Ti handle was going to be too short, it’s my shortest handle, but you would be making a mistake. Before listing the razor on the BST, try holding the razor just below the head by pinching the handle—it’ll quickly become natural and a wonderful razor to experience. David @never-stop-learning named it his favorite DE, that’s no small feat for someone who has extensive experience using a lot of DE razors. Just my advice.
Hi thank you, I guess I should expand on this. I have owned the Ti Machined BB since April 2022 before I sold it and shaved with it many times.

I have also owned a Brassbird and the SS with both handle lengths currently offered (not the super short original from kickstarter).

I don’t want to claim to be an expert, but I’ve been shaving with a Dovo shavette and Merkur/EJ and Gillette DE’s since 1997 out of necessity (skin). I kind of know what I like.

Hi thank you, I guess I should expand on this. I have owned the Ti Machined BB since April 2022 before I sold it and shaved with it many times.

I have also owned a Brassbird and the SS with both handle lengths currently offered (not the super short original from kickstarter).

I don’t want to claim to be an expert, but I’ve been shaving with a Dovo shavette and Merkur/EJ and Gillette DE’s since 1997 out of necessity (skin). I kind of know what I like.
You won't get any argument from me my friend. Nothing but respect.

You're a man that knows what he like. I respect that. 👏

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Having a handle that fits your hand and gives the combined razor head + handle the preferred balance makes a huge difference in your enjoyment of a particular razor.

In my case, I prefer handles in the 14mm to 15mm diameter range that weigh 25g or so.
20220831_104256~2.jpg

The Ti Blackbird + Doug's 25g GTC handle is my favorite DE razor on my face, skin and beard.

We all have individual face, skin and beard. What works for me might not work for you. The important thing is that you find a razor configuration that does work for you. :)

Having a handle that fits your hand and gives the combined razor head + handle the preferred balance makes a huge difference in your enjoyment of a particular razor.

In my case, I prefer handles in the 14mm to 15mm diameter range that weigh 25g or so.
View attachment 1549169
The Ti Blackbird + Doug's 25g GTC handle is my favorite DE razor on my face, skin and beard.

We all have individual face, skin and beard. What works for me might not work for you. The important thing is that you find a razor configuration that does work for you. :)
That is really a great idea!

Can you point me to where I can look at or buy that handle? A larger diameter would also be highly desirable for my grip!

i‘m very happy with my satin finish Ti Blackbird. Shaving using a light touch and riding the cap seems to work best for me. I recently bought the stand which is a nice addition, though to be honest, this razor stands well on the end of its handle.

Bit the bullet and ordered the titanium blackbird in the satin finish the other day. I had been on the fence about it for a while now given how much more expensive it is than any others I own. I’m really happy with it though. The fit and finish is spot on. The satin finish gives it a bit of a darker tone, which I like. Only had one shave with it so far and really enjoyed it. Hopefully this will abate my desire to keep buying razors for at least a little while.

Attachments

• B5772B73-C952-47C4-BC7B-2D8FBF86CF23.jpeg
    B5772B73-C952-47C4-BC7B-2D8FBF86CF23.jpeg
    850.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 7FD6CA15-80E8-4441-BA5E-AB65BBC85725.jpeg
    7FD6CA15-80E8-4441-BA5E-AB65BBC85725.jpeg
    996.2 KB · Views: 28
Steep. I start with the handle near parallel with my face and then move the handle slight away from my face just until I feel the blade catching the whiskers.
This razor is not designed to be used like a typical German razor. The razor is designed to be engaged, actually with a counterintuitive pressure against the radius of the top cap. You the rotate to engage the blade.
This allows the blade to flex away from the skin.
This is the only efficient razor I have used that works this way. When you hit this sweet spot the shaving experience is quite unique.
If you use something like the R41 this way you will probably hurt your self.

You just need to trust that the razor will not cut you.
Going steep is the last thing this razor is built to handle.

Last edited:
This razor is not designed to be used like a typical German razor. The razor is designed to be engaged, actually with a counterintuitive pressure against the radius of the top cap. You the rotate to engage the blade.
This allows the blade to flex away from the skin.
This is the only efficient razor I have used that works this way. When you hit this sweet spot the shaving experience is quite unique.
If you use something like the R41 this way you will probably hurt your self.

You just need to trust that the razor will not cut you.
Going steep is the last thing this razor is built to handle.
I agree. I no longer use a steep angle. I posted that quite a while ago. Subsequently I watched a video my Shane at Blackland who suggested using a shave angle consistent with the bevel created by the top cap and guard. That took the shave to a whole new level. Consequently I now scarcely shave with anything else.

Top Bottom