What's new

After 10 years I made the jump in a big big way

Wasn't particularly happy with yesterday's shave. It was close...but I definitely had some razor rash or irritation. Especially on my right cheek.

So after doing some more reading last night I decided to do 2 passes instead of 3 this morning. 1 with the grain and 1 against. Much better results.

Tried some some cliffs of Mohr soap and aftershave for 1st time. Worked well. Liked the sent. Think I got the lather a little watery/thin today but it still worked. Very different soap from spice reseve. Still loving the blu atlas aftershave before the splash.
For a daily shave I prefer two passes (WTG, XTG). Sundays I do a three pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG). I don't know if you are doing it already, but you can get amazingly smooth with one WTG pass when you stretch the skin as you shave as one does with a straight razor. Opening post was a great write-up. Thanks for sharing your experience.

(Yes, this can be addictive. Be careful. You might end up in the 3017 forum or selling stuff in the B-S-T forum or piffing it away. Feather blades are great. I don't use one often, because I like a couple others better, but a Feather blade makes its way into rotation on rare occasion.)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For a daily shave I prefer two passes (WTG, XTG). Sundays I do a three pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG). I don't know if you are doing it already, but you can get amazingly smooth with one WTG pass when you stretch the skin as you shave as one does with a straight razor. Opening post was a great write-up. Thanks for sharing your experience.

(Yes, this can be addictive. Be careful. You might end up in the 3017 forum or selling stuff in the B-S-T forum or piffing it away. Feather blades are great. I don't use one often, because I like a couple others better, but a Feather blade makes its way into rotation on rare occasion.)
I got a free tuck of Feathers with an order I placed a while back. I’m sort of waiting to use one until my technique improves to a level of competence, not that I’ll recognize it when I get there.

Most of the aftershaves I have coming my way, including the blu atlas I used today contain witch hazel and many alcohol...I'm not certain the alum block wouldn't be repetitive....
I have the witch hazel and the alum block and the nick sticks also. You never know when you might need one of them and I found the alum blocks on the bay for very cheap. The nick stick I got at the grocery store for less than 2 bucks and witch hazel can even be gotten at dollar tree among other places, so considering what you have already spent it's not that much more to have the "just in case " stuff... I mean I spent less than 10 bucks for all 3 things and that included the 5 pack of alum blocks!! Oh on a side note you might want to check places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx or Ross for some shaving products. They sometimes have nice soaps and usually various "high end" AS among other things for good deals...

Well the 1.25 from downunder arrived today. 2 weeks from order to arrival isn't bad at all.

Will have to try it tomorrow.

This morning the bbs-1 and flowers in the dark worked well. Much more cooling affect than the other soaps and aftershaves I have tried. I like it.

Might need to work on my lather a bit. No irritation and I get nice coverage, but I have watched some videos where people get big billowy lather and look like Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire. Anyway have a good one!
20230420_100112.jpg

Awesome man! Welcome to DE shaving! Pick up a cheap slim and a cheapish fatboy next, very nice starter razors ahat shave very very well and leave you feelin manly and tough as nails!

Awesome story! Perma-Sharp is one of my favorite blades. I find them very sharp and smooth, not quite as sharp as a Feather but smoother and not far below a feather in sharpness. I think you'll find them to be a fair bit sharper than the Astra blades you ordered.
The astra platinums seem to work pretty good for me honestly but I havent tried a huge amount. I have a bunch of samples Ive been scared to try since what Ive got going works

I have gone back and forth over if I need actual alum block or the knick sticks will work.
I have both. I use the alum block then rinse it after 60 seconds. I usually rinse my razor and cup/brush while i wait. The styptic pencil I use when i get a cut which is rare. My wife uses the styptic pencil every few days😂

Top Bottom