What's new

Blackland Blackbird Ti - Satin Only Thoughts

This is sort of what I was talking about with my original post. I get that polishing titanium is a real p.i.t.a. and I'm pretty much over it. Don't get me wrong though. If/when Shane feels good about a polished version again, I'll be more than happy with it too.

I have come to fully appreciate the satin finish for its own unique qualities. With that said, if given the choice, and these are the only two options, I'd probably still choose the machined finish with its sheen over the satin finish.

On a side note the biggest thing holding me back from making a purchase is that I'm honestly bummed that the titanium Blackbird doesn't have an option for the long handle or an open-comb base plate like the stainless steel version does. I'd like to buy a titanium long handled version with both SB and OC base plates.

I may be an outsider but having large hands and a large collection of razors to gain experience from, has made me aware that I find longer handles more appealing than shorter ones. I'm also realizing how much I genuinely enjoy the shaves I get from open-comb razors.

All this plus the fact that a possible multicolored (heat treated) version or even certain colored anodized versions are (possibly) on the horizon mean that I have to be really careful as to when I pull the trigger on a Blackbird of my own. I'm not fortunate enough to be able to be buying multiple version of this razor. It's a expensive razor and I have expensive taste. But let me be honest. There are quite a few other expensive razors out there that I'd like to own as well. This includes other Blackland razors.

Anyway, I wouldn't be writing all this about the Blackbird if it didn't have my attention. It's a masterpiece in its own right and is highly deserving of analysis and debate. It's about as close to equally perfect in both form and function as you can get.

To all that own one, in any fashion, enjoy. Cheers to you all. Blackland is a perfect match for this time in the "modem" wet-shaving shaving world. Let's all hope Blackland sticks around for a long time to come.

Good feedback! I'll weigh in on a few points.

Handle and base plate options:
  • Multiple variants are expensive and cumbersome from an inventory perspective.
    • You can't just produce an equal number of all parts and sell them at the same pace.
      • OC and SB don't sell at the same rate, for example.
    • You wind up with a lot of extra parts sitting on shelves.
    • The high cost of titanium makes these extra parts quite expensive so we have to be conservative.
    • Restricting the offering makes the project financially viable.
  • Now that the Blackbird Ti established, we might produce an OC variant.
  • I have the largest hands of anyone I know and the standard length is optimal. I think you'll be fine.
    • Razors should be primarily held pinched between the thumb and forefinger with the middle and possibly ring finger just along for the ride.
      • Like a pen, most of your hand doesn't take an active role.
    • The extra length doesn't provide much, but it does impact maneuverability.

Finish options:

• Most of the points for the handle and base plates above hold true.
    • Finishes multiply the problem because every part needs to be made for each finish.
  • We're going to be adding finishes far more frequently over the coming months/year.
    • Many/most will be limited production.
  • There will always be something new to wait for and some release you will like that comes out after you already purchased.
    • Get the finish you like and don't let new releases impact your like of the thing you just got.
      • Applicable for basically all consumer goods, especially cars and phones.

• You can't just produce an equal number of all parts and sell them at the same pace.
    • The high cost of titanium makes these extra parts quite expensive so we have to be conservative.
  • I have the largest hands of anyone I know and the standard length is optimal. I think you'll be fine.
    • Razors should be primarily held pinched between the thumb and forefinger with the middle and possibly ring finger just along for the ride.

Finish options:

• Finishes multiply the problem because every part needs to be made for each finish.
  • We're going to be adding finishes far more frequently over the coming months/year.
  • There will always be something new to wait for and some release you will like that comes out after you already purchased.
    • Get the finish you like and don't let new releases impact your like of the thing you just got.
Right on Shane! Thanks for your opinion.

I definitely understand your point on variants adding to the expense and being more difficult to manage. When it comes to the subject of SB vs OC, I would never suggest producing them in equal volume. I 100% agree that SB versions are more popular and if I had to guess I'd say they outsell OC versions more than 3 to 1.

I really appreciate your feedback on handle length considering you also have large hands. I feel much more confident in the idea of being satisfied using the standard length handle based on what you said. Typically with shorter handle razors I let the bottom of the razor rest on the top edge of my ring finger and longer ones rest on the top edge of my pinky finger.

I hear you on not getting caught up on new releases just for the sake of them being new. I will tell you that the more I think about it the more I realize I'm really holding out for a special, limited edition finish. I really enjoy originality and personalization so when I get a whiff of what you're cooking up, I think I'll have an idea of what I should be patient for. I'm truly excited to see what the future holds.

Thanks again for you response.

Finish options:

Excellent summation Shane. As always, I appreciate your professional courtesy and assistance, especially for your help this afternoon! Please keep up the good work, “For all of us”. 😊👍💈

Holy smokes; just got a notification that my Blackbird is out for delivery! It hasn’t even been a full 48 hours since I placed the order and it’s truly coast to coast as I live about 2-3 miles from the Atlantic. The Blackbird’s namesake is fitting ha.
Congratulations! BTW I was a Jersey boy my whole life ‘til a year ago when I moved to Georgia.

Holy smokes; just got a notification that my Blackbird is out for delivery! It hasn’t even been a full 48 hours since I placed the order and it’s truly coast to coast as I live about 2-3 miles from the Atlantic. The Blackbird’s namesake is fitting ha.
Stoked to hear how your shaves with it go!

Well I’m two shaves in with this remarkable razor. I’m hesitant to voice my initial thoughts because new purchase impressions can be clouded by confirmation bias. However, at this early point, the razor has surpassed my expectations.

Visually speaking, I wasn’t sure what to think about the flat gray color of the satin finish, but I’ve quickly come to appreciate it. It fits the razor’s qualities somehow and is unique in my den.

Many of you are aware that the Rex Ambassador was for a long time my number one favorite and most used razor. Then, just when I thought the king had no worthy contenders, I won a titanium Timeless .95 OC. The Rex still shaved closer, but I was surprised to find I LOVED the lighter and more maneuverable titanium build. And, perhaps, my favorite aspect of the Timeless is the Crown handle. It makes the shaving experience feel effortless. Stainless steel now feels cumbersome! So, what I was looking for was a razor as efficiency as the Ambassador (at settings 3-5), but still reasonably smooth, and made in titanium.

Well folks, the Ti Blackbird just might have filled the bill. I haven’t weighed it yet, but I think the weight is similar to my Ti Timeless. I really appreciate the shorter handle and the crest or crown around the balance point, just under the base plate, is very similar to the Crown handle, so it damn near matches the Timeless in maneuverability. It terms of shave, well, it feels a lot like my Ambassador! As others have said, there’s a little “drag” or a “suction feeling”. Many have the same experience from the Rex, as do I. However, It never bothered me with the Rex and doesn’t bother me with the Blackbird. In fact, I think it contributes to the efficiency of the razor. I think it’s slowing mowing down beard on real estate missed or skipped over by most of my other razors, that quickly glide along. The shave never felt uncomfortable, just a little draggy. It never felt the least bit dangerous or rough. In fact, I could buff over an area, without any irritation whatsoever.

The results? A three pass shave with zero touch ups, using a first use Nacet blade produced a BBS shave with not a hint of irritation or tinge of discomfort. And there’s the thing… Almost always, in a three pass shave, I’m left with just a little stubble on my lower neck on each side. I can’t really see it, but I can feel it. Usually I try to ignore it because if I chase it with a touch up pass, moving obliquely along my neck, from outward toward my Adam’s apple, I can get it, but will pay with weepers or some irritation. Today, after shaving three passes with the B-bird, there’s nothing there!

Obviously I’ll need a lot more time with this razor to really get to know it, but I’m already planning to do some comparison shaves between the Bird and the Timeless, as well as the Bird and the Ambassador. But right now, I’m a happy shaver!

Obviously I’ll need a lot more time with this razor to really get to know it, but I’m already planning to do some comparison shaves between the Bird and the Timeless, as well as the Bird and the Ambassador. But right now, I’m a happy shaver!
@HabanaRon Great update. Look forward to those comparison shaves. I am planning to do one with the Lupo .95 OC with Timeless Crown Ti handle, once I get more run time in with the Blackbird Ti. I am trying not to pre-bias that comparison shave, but I think I already know what I will be writing.

Well I’m two shaves in with this remarkable razor. I’m hesitant to voice my initial thoughts because new purchase impressions can be clouded by confirmation bias. However, at this early point, the razor has surpassed my expectations.

Visually speaking, I wasn’t sure what to think about the flat gray color of the satin finish, but I’ve quickly come to appreciate it. It fits the razor’s qualities somehow and is unique in my den.

Many of you are aware that the Rex Ambassador was for a long time my number one favorite and most used razor. Then, just when I thought the king had no worthy contenders, I won a titanium Timeless .95 OC. The Rex still shaved closer, but I was surprised to find I LOVED the lighter and more maneuverable titanium build. And, perhaps, my favorite aspect of the Timeless is the Crown handle. It makes the shaving experience feel effortless. Stainless steel now feels cumbersome! So, what I was looking for was a razor as efficiency as the Ambassador (at settings 3-5), but still reasonably smooth, and made in titanium.

Well folks, the Ti Blackbird just might have filled the bill. I haven’t weighed it yet, but I think the weight is similar to my Ti Timeless. I really appreciate the shorter handle and the crest or crown around the balance point, just under the base plate, is very similar to the Crown handle, so it damn near matches the Timeless in maneuverability. It terms of shave, well, it feels a lot like my Ambassador! As others have said, there’s a little “drag” or a “suction feeling”. Many have the same experience from the Rex, as do I. However, It never bothered me with the Rex and doesn’t bother me with the Blackbird. In fact, I think it contributes to the efficiency of the razor. I think it’s slowing mowing down beard on real estate missed or skipped over by most of my other razors, that quickly glide along. The shave never felt uncomfortable, just a little draggy. It never felt the least bit dangerous or rough. In fact, I could buff over an area, without any irritation whatsoever.

The results? A three pass shave with zero touch ups, using a first use Nacet blade produced a BBS shave with not a hint of irritation or tinge of discomfort. And there’s the thing… Almost always, in a three pass shave, I’m left with just a little stubble on my lower neck on each side. I can’t really see it, but I can feel it. Usually I try to ignore it because if I chase it with a touch up pass, moving obliquely along my neck, from outward toward my Adam’s apple, I can get it, but will pay with weepers or some irritation. Today, after shaving three passes with the B-bird, there’s nothing there!

I forgot to mention. I’m a daily shaver. My first shave with the Ti Bird was one day’s growth with a GSB landed. My shave noted above was after two days growth. Both shaves were same result.

Congrats @HabanaRon! I enjoyed hearing your initial thoughts. As a longtime user of both Rex Ambassador and Timeless Ti 0.95 OC, I am interested to hear how your TiBird journey goes! Lately, though, the 0.95 SB has been the frequent flier!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

1661047361824.gif

Right on man. I'm happy for you.

Keep the insight coming.

That a boy!!!!
1661066597251.gif

Finish options:

Being able to buy parts individually would have helped. Tatara razors can be configured part by part.
When I ordered my TI BB I would have added an open comb base plate in stainless if I could.
Most of the weight of the razor is in the handle. Being able to have a stainless head with a TI handle would also be one attractive option. I understand this would effect the balance, but I think the razor would be just as nimble.

Being able to buy parts individually would have helped. Tatara razors can be configured part by part.
When I ordered my TI BB I would have added an open comb base plate in stainless if I could.
Most of the weight of the razor is in the handle. Being able to have a stainless head with a TI handle would also be one attractive option. I understand this would effect the balance, but I think the razor would be just as nimble.

You can certainly add an extra stainless OC Base Plate to any order. They were just restocked this week so it's possible that it wasn't stocked when you ordered your Blackbird Ti.

2nd shave is in the books, with 2nd use Gillette Nacet blade. I used even lighter pressure this time, at the advice of @Hannah's Dad and felt less drag/suction. The result was another perfect shave. And I concur with a few others who noted that the B-Bird sucks up all the lather somehow! It just seems to disappear (another trait it shares with the Ambassador). So far, this feels like a Goldilocks razor.
IMG_1845.jpg

2nd shave is in the books, with 2nd use Gillette Nacet blade. I used even lighter pressure this time, at the advice of @Hannah's Dad and felt less drag/suction. The result was another perfect shave. And I concur with a few others who noted that the B-Bird sucks up all the lather somehow! It just seems to disappear (another trait it shares with the Ambassador). So far, this feels like a Goldilocks razor.View attachment 1509130

Are you finding a shallower or steeper angle works best?

Top Bottom