What's new

You can only own one suit - Black or Navy?

I'll see if I can figure out how to add a poll.

Jos A. Bank is having a 70% off sale. I'm looking at their slim fit line. I was planning on getting a black with grey striped suit, but wanted to know what other, sophisticated men thought I should get.

The suits fit me very well, and are on sale right now for $268. I'm open to any other suggestions that would give me more bang for the buck.

Right now all I own is a J. Ferrar pieced suit from Penny's. I'm a young professional and want something a bit more stylish.

EDIT: They had charcoal grey in the slim fit, so I bought that. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Navy. It "fits" any occasion depending on shirt/tie. You can go for the serious business look or the lighter look. Not as harsh as black and plenty of colors (shirts/ties) go with it. To get some ideas for colors you might not have thought of with a Navy suit look at some of the websites for the Savile Row shops and Hong Kong Tailors. Shoe/belt color choices are extended also. I have a Navy suit and a Charcoal suit (among others) and the Charcoal looks dated. It was great in the '80's though. YMMV

Steve

The Navy is very flexible, but the black pinstriped suit will cover you into all but the most formal occasions. Depending on how you pair it with shirt and tie, it can easily take you from the boardroom to opera. Blue suits can't quite pull that off. If you have to go with just one, you're probably better off with the black.

Black first, Charcoal Grey, and Then Navy, IMO. Suits at my corporate workplace are most common in that order. The first two impart a classic and professional look even more than the navy, again, in my opinion.

With all due respect to other's opinions, a well dressed man would never have as his only suit a black suit. It would always be appropriate for funerals or evenings out at the opera, but never, ever for weddings, confirmations, bar mitzvahs, company parties etc. Blue is the right choice. Or a dark grey. Not black.

There are exceptions to this, of course, as there always are and always should be in matters of taste and style. The exception would be if you're in a creative field like design or media or advertising. That's a different set of rules (and make no mistake, there are even stricter rules there than elsewhere) most of which I can't help you with.

One last thing. Regardless of what you go with, a well tailored, i.e. good fitting, suit always looks better than something that may be more expensive but fits poorly. Don't skimp on the tailoring.

Thanks guys. I only wear suits for very formal occasions, so I'm leaning towards charcoal. Remember, it's black with charcoal stripes, not actually grey.

Recently had to buy a suit. Retired and never wear them anymore. Fancy wedding. (Black tie optional) Perfectly comfortable in a dark blue pinstripe from Jos. Bank. Wore suits for business for 30 years and never owned a black one. Always dark blue, charcoal, grey muted windowpane plaids etc. (uptight mid-western real estate development business) Dark blue with a muted pinstripe is appropriate anywhere. Buy a good shirt that fits, french cuff if you want to be old style and dressier and a really good quality tie. The John Nordstrom shirt at Nordstrom is very light weight, 100% cotton, French front (no placate) and French cuffs. Great shirt. No clunky shoes, highly polished. The accessories are just as important as the suit. When you can afford it have your shirts made to your measurements. All of Oakeshott's above advice is well placed

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
With all due respect to other's opinions, a well dressed man would never have as his only suit a black suit. It would always be appropriate for funerals or evenings out at the opera, but never, ever for weddings, confirmations, bar mitzvahs, company parties etc. Blue is the right choice. Or a dark grey. Not black.

There are exceptions to this, of course, as there always are and always should be in matters of taste and style. The exception would be if you're in a creative field like design or media or advertising. That's a different set of rules (and make no mistake, there are even stricter rules there than elsewhere) most of which I can't help you with.

One last thing. Regardless of what you go with, a well tailored, i.e. good fitting, suit always looks better than something that may be more expensive but fits poorly. Don't skimp on the tailoring.

Yep, Blue Pinstripe, grey .. black on the most solemn occasions. And the most important point is the tailoring, absolutely.

Bingo.

Navy here... almost looks black it's so dark, but the blue shows under light.

$Rochellewedding.jpg

Jos A. Bank is having a 70% off sale. I'm looking at their slim fit line. I was planning on getting a black with grey striped suit, but wanted to know what other, sophisticated men thought I should get.

The suits fit me very well, and are on sale right now for $268. I'm open to any other suggestions that would give me more bang for the buck.

I re-read your post and would advise you to wait. Jos A. Bank's has sales literally all the time. Try googling what their best sale is but I know that I have seen suits for sale from there for $150. Unless you need that suit asap, I would wait.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've been paring my suits down, as I don't wear them much any more, and passing them on to my son. The blue is my favorite and the one I absolutely refuse to give up. It is very versatile. I have several shirts, ties and shoes to choose from to go with it.

The olive was the first to go, then one of the blacks and I think he may have even snagged my gray silk window pane (loved that suit), but the blue remains.

I wear suits 5.5 days a week (we work 6 day weeks on an alternating shift). I own a black that is for funerals only. I wear navy or gray almost exclusively. Navy or gray, muted stripe is fine, works for any non black tie/funeral situation.

I have a black suit with dark stripes blue (or possibly charcoal?) I love it because it doesn't come across as severe as plain black and so I do recommend getting a suit like that. However a blue suit will give you more bang for your buck. There are just so many ways to use a blue suit, good for day or night - virtually any situation depending on your shirt/tie/shoes combination.

Midnight blue. It appears black in dim light but has a deep navy color making it appropriate in most formal occasions. You can also mix up different colors for shirts and ties. I've got a thin corduroy Midnight blue blazer that can be dressed up or down and is perfect with a button down shirt or English collar shirt/tie combo.

Thanks guys. I only wear suits for very formal occasions, so I'm leaning towards charcoal. Remember, it's black with charcoal stripes, not actually grey.
Sounds good to me. Navy is great, but somewhat less formal and more day to day business than charcoal grey or black with chalk stripes. I would never own a truly black, solid color suit. But I agree that black with chalk stripes is a completely different animal. Chalk stripes are generally rather flattering, to my mind.

Charcoal gray first, then navy, then a tanish/brownish/mauve/olive type, then black.

Charcoal looks great in any situation and is the most versatile suit you can own. A black suit even with pinstripes is not even close. If I already owned a gray, navy, plan black and the brownish/mauve suit, then I'd get a pinstripe suit.

Top Bottom