What's new

What's the WORST beer you've ever tried?

Some years ago, I had the great misfortune of sitting down to a bottle of Nittany Ale. It was truly rancid and there was a great deal of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I've heard it suggested that it probably skunked due to the cobalt-blue bottle being pretty much worthless at keeping the light out, but I was never brave enough to go back for round 2. Not sure if they make that anymore.

I had something really awful in China, but I don't remember the name....

In all fairness, China has some quite good beers as well. No, I don't remember those names either.

Yes, of course Keystone is the vilest of the vile, but, as pointed out in the original post, that kinda goes without saying.

-Mo

Tsing Dao?

The worst I have had was from a fellow homebrewer.

Anybody who has been around enough homebrew pretty much always has to say this. Some homebrewing just goes really sideways. I've had a few experiments go terrible but I think I've judged beers in homebrewing competitions that were worse than my let's-try-this-and-see-what-happens experiments. They were hard beers to judge.

Anybody who has been around enough homebrew pretty much always has to say this. Some homebrewing just goes really sideways. I've had a few experiments go terrible but I think I've judged beers in homebrewing competitions that were worse than my let's-try-this-and-see-what-happens experiments. They were hard beers to judge.
apparently i do not spend enough time with homebrewers because all of the ones i've tried have been mediocre at best. So far it's the breweries experiments that have REALLY gone sideways...

Until recently it was Budweiser. I am not even sure it is even beer.

However I was away on service last year and had not drunk for some time. I ended up in some back water dust hole somewhere with a days R&R. This Chinese barman served me up this Indian beer. Wild Horse, Crazy Horse??? Something with Horse in it anyway. Well it tasted like they had left a dead horse in the barrel when they brewed it. It was nasty. This was not helped by it being about 9% and I had not touched alcohol for about 6 months. The results were not pretty.

I love beer and appreciate all styles, but I have had some not so great ones. I'm not talking about skunky beer either, because I can't blame a beer for being too old or stored improperly.

With that said, there has only been one beer that I've tried that I had no desire to choke down, and I fed it to my sink instead. Bud Light Chelada style. Bud Light mixed with clamato (clam juice and tomato juice)? Just gross. Although it has its use...taking a sip of that makes regular Bud Light palatable.

THat Sam Adams Cherry Wheat was pretty foul. Felt like I was drinking a liquified cherry halls cough drop.

I'm glad someone mentioned this one! Sam Adams has some fairly good stuff, but others are downright terrible; Cherry Wheat Ale being one of them. This wasn't beer, it was some terribly artificial cherry flavored clusterfrick that had a little alcohol in it. Just plain bad.

On another note, a buddy of mine invited me over recently for a day of ripping up carpet with a little beer for fuel. Turns out this guy's favorite is Tecate! He doesn't buy it just because it's cheap; he genuinely loves it! Thought it'd still be refreshing since the beer was ice cold and it was hot as hell outside. No dice. It was some of the most gag-worthy swill that's ever graced (cursed?) my lips. What's odd is that this guy has impeccable taste when it comes to pretty much anything else :lol:

Until recently it was Budweiser. I am not even sure it is even beer.

However I was away on service last year and had not drunk for some time. I ended up in some back water dust hole somewhere with a days R&R. This Chinese barman served me up this Indian beer. Wild Horse, Crazy Horse??? Something with Horse in it anyway. Well it tasted like they had left a dead horse in the barrel when they brewed it. It was nasty. This was not helped by it being about 9% and I had not touched alcohol for about 6 months. The results were not pretty.

Crazy Horse. It's malt liquor. It's for homeless people that are too "uppity" for sniffing glue, and high school kids who know a guy at the stop n go that doesn't check IDs.

Midnight Dragon. The ads in Harlem, where I lived in 1990 and 91 depicted a scantily clad woman drinking it through an oversized black straw. I'll spare you the tag line but you can figure it out if you didn't see it. It was cheap and I had a guy at my bodega who cut me a deal for cases of it.

For the curious, do a google image search for midnight dragon malt liquor and their stupid ad pops up. I won't post it because it is demeaning and vulgar. I drank it anyway back then because I didn't know any better.

Last edited:
Icehouse.

HA! Me and my buddies picked up a 12 pack from Walmart back in undergrad cause it was high in alcohol and "couldn't be that bad, right?" For a bunch of broke college kids, it was drinkable, but barely.

The worst I've ever had was Beer 30...and you though the Veg smelled like ****...

Billy Beer
Bought a six pack, the first went down the drain. Still have five full cans.

Attachments

• $bb.jpg
    $bb.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom