What's new

What's the WORST beer you've ever tried?

This thread got me inspired to ask:

What's the WORST beer you've ever tried?

Unless absolutely necessary, let's leave the usual suspects (Natty Light, Keystone, the Beast, etc etc) outta this. I want to hear about beers you had every expectation of enjoying, but ended up being crushing disappointments.

Here's mine:

Two years ago I joined the "drink 100 beers for a free jacket, party, and your name on a poster" club at my local watering hole. There were some pretty sketchy beers on the list, but the worst by far had to be Wells' Banana Bread beer.

I love bananas. I eat at least one every morning. And I love my mom's banana bread. But damned if I didn't want to gag and hurl when I tried the brew. It didn't help that it comes in a 22oz bottle. Obviously I didn't finish the whole thing. My bartender tells me lots of people have the same reaction to it, yet.. to this day, it's still on the 100-beer list there. :frown2:

Flavored beers don't really do it for me either.

I know a lot of people like Dogfishhead beers, but I simply do not. The worst I've ever tried was their pumpkin brew. I don't understand how someone makes this, tries it, and then says "Alright, that's good enough to bottle."

I cringe at the thought of a banana bread beer.

While there are many to choose from I am going to have to go with the everyday, run of the mill pap: Miller Lite. Wretched. In fact, I could easily disqualify my choice because it is hardly beer at all.

I had something really awful in China, but I don't remember the name....

In all fairness, China has some quite good beers as well. No, I don't remember those names either.

Yes, of course Keystone is the vilest of the vile, but, as pointed out in the original post, that kinda goes without saying.

-Mo

It's tied for me between Corona and Shiner Bock. Corona tastes pretty vile to me, and the Shiner Bock tastes like water with beer flavoring added. I haven't even wanted to try Bud, Miller, etc because I know I'd hate them.

When I was living in Ghana the only two ubiquitous beers were Club and Star and both were terrible... but you kinda get used to it I guess. A lot of people would add Sprite to them to make them tolerable.

There is this beer called Evil eye (Ojo Malo). Stuff is terrible. I also can't stand India Pale Ale's. Too bitter for my liking (plus I overdid it one year at my holiday party so I have bad memories of it to boot.).

I didn't care for any of the Shiner beers I've tried.

Oh, and another... Christian Morlein Hefeweizen. Bloody awful.

If you can find it up north the Shiner Blonde is decent. And Shiner is nectar of the gods compared to Lonestar beer. Yeesh, there is a grill down here that doesn't have a beer license so they give away 2 Lonestars with every meal. Even free, on a 100+ degree day, it has never even tempted me.

Back around 1980, I was in college and there was a little hole-in-the-wall bar across the street where the seniors would gather to play dominoes. They all drank Shiner, because it was the cheapest beer sold there. My roommate and I gave it a try one day. Ugh. To this day, I can't stand the taste.

I recently tried Samuel Adams with high expectations, and was very disappointed.

All we can say is, "taste is a matter of taste".

Worst two beers ever.

1) My first batch of homebrew in college.
2) A pumkin beer from a microbrewery in Michigan. Wish I could remember the name of it, but my brain is trying to forget that episode.

My fraternity in college used to throw a "Bad Beer Party" on the first snow fall of the year (Back in Wisconsin, donchta know). The cases were all returnables and nothing could be more then $4/case. Now mind you those were late 80's dollars but they still couldn't get anything close to drinkable. Old Swill = too expensive. Meister Brau = too expensive. Yup, we had a glorious selection of cheap, local and BAD Wisconsin beers like Rhinelander, Bavarian Club, Brau Meister (notice the clever marketing ploy), Red, White and Blue, Huber and the like. My last year participating in the ritual I came down with something akin to dysentary. Bad, bad, bad.

Local Brewery that made a "Chili Beer" with a jalapeno in the bottle...god knows what made me try that disgusting liquid concoction.

Decades ago in upstate NY, I had one bottle of something called Maximus Super. The next day I didn't get out of bed until 3:00 pm. Of course all the beer I drank before the Maximus may have had something to do with it, but I blame it all on the Maximus. It was a high alcohol beer (for the time) and was absolute swill. Don't know if it's still made. Hopefully not.

jim

I consider myself a pretty good judge of beer. I've brewed my own for three years, I've tried a lot of commercial examples in several styles and I really enjoy most of them. (Especially the unfairly maligned IPAs :biggrin:)

However, the beer that I have disliked the most is 'Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru'. This Belgium beer earned a perfect 100 on ratebeer.com and I was really thrown for a loop at both the ratings and my revulsion to it. It's not a dislike of the style either as there are other Belgian beers that I think are delicious.

So... go out and buy it all off of the shelves (and keep me from the mistake of trying it again).

Now that I'm thinking about it, this would be a good place to impart my favorite "bad beer" story:

I work with a guy who's a certified, Grade-A, USDA choice Beer Snob. I know a good beer when I taste one, but Nick seemingly knows every hole-in-the-wall microbrewery in the US by memory, and often opines that this year's Wingnut Wheat isn't as good as last years. When we go out for happy hour, he usually complains that the array of imports and crafts is pathetic and begrudgingly orders something I'd have no problem getting excited about.

Last summer my boss hosted a party at the country club (not as swanky as it sounds). Nick lives all the way out in B.F.E., so he was pretty much the last person there. So by the time he arrived, most of the "good beer" had been picked over. I noticed him coming back from the beer cooler with a Busch Light in his hand, and proceeded to give the reputable beer snob all sorts of crap for it. It was only then that I noticed the can had one of the narrower, older style pop-tabs. I haven't seen one in 10 years. Upon closer inspection, the can had a logo on it:

"Proud sponsor of the 1996 USA Olympic Team"

Nick The Beer Snob wasn't just drinking Busch Light, but he was drinking 11-year-old Busch Light.

Needless to say, we haven't let that one die.

Top Bottom