What's new

What are the worst DE razor(s) you've ever tried and why?

Dollartree 3 piece plastic handle. It had a huge blade gap and the blade was absolute trash. I still have it because I was going to throw an Astra superior Platinum in it for kicks. Maybe one day but that thing burned up my whole head and face something fierce!
I have one of those at home, but reading through all the comments on those "Assured for Men" razors, I would be even scared to try it. I am literally considering throwing it away without unwrapping it and that says a lot for me.

On the one hand, I don't see why people would keep using a razor that gives them a bad shave. On the other, I've read several accounts of people needing a month or more to dial in the use of a certain razor. I guess with experience it becomes more obvious when that might be a possibility.
A month is a bit long of having bad or challenging shaves, but every time that you get a new/different razor they do shave differently. Especially if you are jumping up in aggressiveness scale. You were mentioning your Rex Envoy and that it does not jive with you YET. This is what I am talking about. If you continued to use it for a while you would learn it. Now I would not recommend that for you since you just started out. Do what work, get some experience then play. Personally I got a Fatip Grande OC a while back and I had a couple of bad shaves. Lots of irritation. I put the razor away for a couple of weeks then picked it up in the beginning of October again and I had a couple of rougher shaves, but each shave was better than the previous. Now it is a sweet razor that I have no problem with. the moral of the story is that all razors have an adjustment period and some of those can take a number of rougher shaves to get used to. Just the nature of the beast.

I have one of those at home, but reading through all the comments on those "Assured for Men" razors, I would be even scared to try it. I am literally considering throwing it away without unwrapping it and that says a lot for me.
Maybe consider trying it with your normal blade. I'm thinking of giving that a try but really ask myself what's the point !?!?!?!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
<theory alert>I realized that certain razors, R41, Rocca, Gem in particular while giving great shaves that didn't leave my face irritated in any way were probably not optimal. My skin hours after using those razors was much oilier than if I used the Henson or DE89. That leads me to believe the others were over shaving me and the skin was going into some sort of recovery mode where it made more oil than normal to fix whatever damage I had done </theory alert>
Oily skin is a sign of the body that it is in repair mode indeed. I read up a bit about that because my dermatologist appointment for another issue is unfortunately not before December (I still think I can cure myself before that...) and yeah, oily skin means a lot, but if you don't have it otherwise it is a reaction to something.

Usually to sunlight, here probably to injury due to overshaving as you suspected.

The other explanation is that you are actually a tree and producing resin to deal with scrapes on your bark.

I don't want to sound like a Pollyanna and, granted, I've only been at this game for about a year now but I haven't used a truly bad DE razor so far. I would say that my Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji has disappointed me on more than one occasion. Depending upon the blade and soap, sometimes even on the mildest setting it shaves like a very aggressive razor. But then other times it shaves wonderfully. Alas, 'tis still a mystery to me. But I keep it in my rotation, albeit gingerly.
The Meiji looks great, but it's blade alignment issues have caused me to box it back up, and replace it with an X4 Gillette Super Adjustable - which actually looks more stylish than the Meiji in my collection. :)

I really didn’t enjoy the King C Gillette razor.

It was extremely inefficient and I would end up using too much pressure after feeling like it wasn’t doing anything.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Assured1.jpg

The Assured from Dollar Tree is just a little blade forward. Use with caution.

~doug~

A month is a bit long of having bad or challenging shaves, but every time that you get a new/different razor they do shave differently. Especially if you are jumping up in aggressiveness scale. You were mentioning your Rex Envoy and that it does not jive with you YET. This is what I am talking about. If you continued to use it for a while you would learn it. Now I would not recommend that for you since you just started out. Do what work, get some experience then play. Personally I got a Fatip Grande OC a while back and I had a couple of bad shaves. Lots of irritation. I put the razor away for a couple of weeks then picked it up in the beginning of October again and I had a couple of rougher shaves, but each shave was better than the previous. Now it is a sweet razor that I have no problem with. the moral of the story is that all razors have an adjustment period and some of those can take a number of rougher shaves to get used to. Just the nature of the beast.
All very wise words and good advice, thanks. I think I'll print this out.

MtB

My bottom three thus far:
1. Parker Variant -- WAY too aggressive for daily shaving, even on setting "1". I suspect Parker out-thought themselves in market position by slotting the Variant's aggression between the Futur and Progress.
2. Feather Popular -- oddly aggressive and way too much odd blade feel and feedback, presumably because of the amount of plastic and resonance thereof. Very disconcerting trying to shave with it. Dunno why it's considered mild, no way
3. Razorock Hawk V2 -- I heard the aggression level varied on these and I must have gotten one at the Muhle R41 end of the spectrum. Holy heck for daily shaving, even with shielded AC blades. Oddly, I really like the Hawk V3, though, in spite of it theoretically being much more aggressive (it isn't with right blade selection)

The older version of the "assured razor" that was a twist to open was actually half way decent, and well worth the $1.00 price tag. I tried it out with a feather and got a decent shave. The newer version that is a gillette tech with a plastic handle is absolute garbage, and I couldn't even complete a single pass with that razor. Let's not even mention that thing that dollar tree calls a shave brush..

Last edited:
My bottom three thus far:
1. Parker Variant -- WAY too aggressive for daily shaving, even on setting "1". I suspect Parker out-thought themselves in market position by slotting the Variant's aggression between the Futur and Progress.
2. Feather Popular -- oddly aggressive and way too much odd blade feel and feedback, presumably because of the amount of plastic and resonance thereof. Very disconcerting trying to shave with it. Dunno why it's considered mild, no way
3. Razorock Hawk V2 -- I heard the aggression level varied on these and I must have gotten one at the Muhle R41 end of the spectrum. Holy heck for daily shaving, even with shielded AC blades. Oddly, I really like the Hawk V3, though, in spite of it theoretically being much more aggressive (it isn't with right blade selection)
It’s really interesting to read these threads. I wonder if the negative experiences people have with some of these razors are due to sample variations/ QC issues.

Parker Variant is my most favorite razor and the one I always get a great shave with. I am well past my “hey I'm a man so I use R41 with Feathers” phase and prefer milder shavers with sharp blades, and Variant at 3-3.5, loaded with Astra SP, is perfect for me, at 2 it’s rather mild.

Someone else mentioned Maggard V3M in this thread… I have the “aggressive” V3A and while it feels and sounds very aggressive (strong blade presence, very audible feedback), I actually find it very forgiving and providing a smooth, irritation free shave as long as I do my part.

OTOH a much milder (supposedly) Razorock G37 slant requires a whole lot more work from me to get a clean shave without getting nicked.

I also got the Yintal Bronze copy of V3A and it shaves the same. Can hear and feel the blade, yet it’s more forgiving than some milder razors. I think it and Baili 171 (very similar performance) are very underrated.

Early 40s English Bakelite Tech. Utterly terrible razor.

The set came with a nearly new blade from the 40s, one from the 60s and one from the 80s. I added one from the 2010s.
No doubt someone will try again in 20-30 years and keep the theme going :biggrin1:

Top Bottom