What's new

What are the worst DE razor(s) you've ever tried and why?

Wahl Adjustable - Merkur Futur clone
Feather Popular
Stank! Gave them both away
Never had even seen a Wahl safety razor. I just googled it and apparently it's only available there in Australia.
Being a Merkur clone, I'm guessing it's Chinese and probably on the lower end of quality based on your experience.

Never had even seen a Wahl safety razor. I just googled it and apparently it's only available there in Australia.
Being a Merkur clone, I'm guessing it's Chinese and probably on the lower end of quality based on your experience.
Adjustment dial / mechanism on that Wahl was poor. Would set to have a mild shave but the dial would often shift during use resulting in an unwelcome surprise. Took me a long time to come back around to the idea of an adjustable again.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This thread almost makes me want to try my RR Lupo Aluminum again. As I've mentioned, it's the only bad shave I've had with a DE or SE razor but it was my first try, coming from decades of using Gillette cartridge razors and I was clueless.

I say "almost" because I'm not really chasing bad shaves. <eg> I think the blades our son sent me along with the razor didn't help the combo much: Astra SP Green blades. I've never used one since.... again, I'm not in search of bad shaves. I doubt they are sharp enough for this old man's beard I find growing out of my face.

Edit: I have had less than stellar shaves, of course. I could never get the Overlander to work well for me. I'm still struggling with the two SuperSlant bases I have. I let the Overlander go but I really want the SuperSlant to make the cut, but we shall see. I'm tempted almost every day to put both SuperSlants up for sale. I bought another top cap so I have two complete razors with the idea of selling them both.

A guy from Greece has one up on eBay for $399.99. plus shipping and sales tax. Its condition is OK except he had the cute idea to carve hin name "George" on the handle. He's from that fake negotiating school whereby he says he's had higher offers when you make him a decent offer. Of course his item has been unsold for months just like other razor sellers.

A guy in Fresno CA has one listed on Facebook for months at $300 but won't ship!
Brand new Merkur Vision 2000's here:
Overall price including the shipping is still less than the used ones that come up for sale. I got mine 7 days of ordering.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a razor I would say is bad. There are ones I like much less than others but none are poorly made or designed such that they can’t give an adequate and predictable shave, or would cause cuts when used competently (I’ve never had a nick that was not my own fault). But I always researched every razor I bought and developed a sense for which reviewers tend to have opinions that I can rely on, and whether they have similar preferences and results to mine.

The Carbon Cx Titanium is a very expensive, kinda harsh, cheap feeling (like a toy), and disappointingly inefficient razor, to me. That’s the one I most regret buying, and if you consider what else you can get for much less money I guess I could say it’s bad. But it will still shave - just not particularly well or enjoyably.
I hate my carbon handled carbon ti+ as well. Doesn’t shave closely at all. Feels like a toy. Expensive. Threading is non- standard. I would love to sell it.

Those cheap plastic Wilkinson Sword "Classic" DE razors, that was my first DE razor (In 2010) & almost caused me to give up, horrendous! Impossible to shave without cutting yourself multiple times, I haven't even kept it, threw it in the bin.

Worst for me was Merkur Futur, 34hd and several other razors…BUT it is fun to revisit them after several years and my preferences and experience has changed quite alot 😅

Merkur Progress!

Too aggressive, the head is too big, the balance is off, the handle is slippery, and I didn’t like the disassembly to load a new blade. No thank you.

IMG_1613.jpeg

This nautica safety razor that I found at a Ross. It was only 4 dollars so I bought it just for giggles.

The razor was pure junk, the closers actually came off their hinges right after I took it out of the package. I ended up tossing it in the recycling and didnt even bother trying the blades that came with it.

The stand was pretty good though, and I kept it.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

I have had not bad experiences with DE except an Edwin Jagger that slipped out of hand, hit tile, and I learn head was MIM. Mental Injected Molded Metal. Replacement part were like buying new again.

That is reason I did not buy EJ 3ONE6, MIM HEAD.

I’ve been lucky, never really had a bad razor but some helped me develop a preference for certain aspects.

Feather Popular, very good razor but made me realize that the large TTO head was just to cumbersome under the nose when compared to three piece razors.

King C. Gillette, again good razor but the long, heavy handle helped me realize that I prefer a head-heavy razor with a short nimble handle.

1. Parker injector v2 would not cut, no matter the blade or adjustment level.
2. Wilkinson plastic DE was just the opposite. It's probably cutting something right now in its landfill home.
3. Revere-handled Trac II. An uncomfortable slag of metal that never stayed seated in my hand.

Viking adjustable...Augustus model.
Having never had an adjustable I thought WTH I'll try one like this that gets good reviews for cheap.
Lesson learned.

Alignment was off no matter what I tried, the gates didn't open and close in unison...I should have known when there is a little dislaimer note to run the knob back and forth, stand on your head whilst chewing gum to realign things, it was gonna be garbage.
I wanted to like that one, it's quite handsome, but I didn't even use it once, thus avoiding a bloodletting and possible crime scene.

Brand new Merkur Vision 2000's here:
Overall price including the shipping is still less than the used ones that come up for sale. I got mine 7 days of ordering.
What a cool razor, but $65 shipping to the USA?
That's nuts!
I guess if someone desperately wants a new vision it's ok. But it'd hurt to think that you've drained $65 in shipping charges.

I bought an "Assured" razor from Dollar Tree. It literally broke before I could use it. Right into the hopper! (It wasn't even worth throwing into the recycling bin).

True story.
Perhaps you weren't around for @GlazedBoker's legendary $1 razor challenge thread involving this very razor. Lengthy, but well worth reading. Spoiler alert: I did not need hospitalization, thanks for your concern.

The $1 razor challenge

A close second for me was the first Fendrihan MKII I received. It had a defect causing the blade to seat itself in a crooked position no matter how hard I tried to straighten it. Fortunately, Fendrihan gave good customer service and promptly replaced the cap and baseplate with a set that aligned properly. It's a good razor if you like a heavy steel three-piece design.

Last edited:
Perhaps you weren't around for @GlazedBoker's legendary $1 razor challenge thread involving this very razor. Lengthy, but well worth reading. Spoiler alert: I did not need hospitalization, thanks for your concern.

The $1 razor challenge
I've still seen those for sale. I've never dared to spend my hard earned "$1" on one!
The dare I'd really love to see is someone sending one to get replated 🤣

Wilkinson sword classic (the metal TTO one).
Because one side was more agressive than the other, the blade was parallell with the bar but one side exposure was clearly more than the other side. Didn't shave badly but i found it annoying. Gave this razor away.
Qshave adjustable (Futur clone), same problem , one side has more blade gap than the other.

Fatip picollo has this a little bit too, but almost no difference in shave feel, and it shaves so well i forgive this flaw.

Top Bottom