What's new

What are the worst DE razor(s) you've ever tried and why?

Worst for on person, is Grail for another.

Everyone is different and as we age we change.

If everyone had same skin, beard, heart thickness, and last growing pattern.

One or two Razor could be everyone’s GRAIL RAZOR.

Good News is we got many razors to choose from.

My buddy Fireman Joe has two. Adjustable Murkurs, one at home, one at work. He buys cheap Derby blade. That is his Grail Setup.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are most probably two different categories of "bad" razors:
1. Fine razors that are a bad choice for your beard/face/technique.
2. Poorly made razors.

In the first category your "bad" razor will no doubt be another shaver's favorite razor. In the second category it won't be anyone's favorite.

One of the things you pay for with a more expensive razor is better quality control. But some people win the cheap razor lottery and get one that works great for them. It's a gamble for sure, but you're not gambling much money.

My 2 worst:

1) Merkur's open comb. Somehow mild enough to not shave, and still give me razor burn. Maybe it was a technique issue, but I never went back.

2) Henson's aluminum standard razor. Between being inefficient and so light that I needed to consciously resist the usual "minimal pressure" habit, it just wasn't worth it for me. I do enjoy the Yaqi Tile (clone, in stainless so it's heavy and doesn't need pressure). Looked really cool, though.

I read a lot about bad blades but don't read much about bad razors!
So it can be more than one and the reason(s) can be anything: Bad design, shaves bad, too big, too heavy etc..
For me so far have been:

Merkur Futur:
I had a Flexi and Variant and wanted to try this futuristic looking adjustable from Merkur. What I discovered was that (although I like aggressive razors), this one was to the point of dangerous to use. I guess the head design is the culprit. I had an uneasy feeling every time I used it and never got any stellar shaves from this razor. It also felt like it would slip at any moment as well because of the slick handle. Another issue which I completely disliked was that the head was huge and cumbersome (biggest one I've ever shaved with). I do give credit to the snap on head that makes blade loading a snap. That's the only positive I saw in this razor. I couldn't sell it fast enough!

Feather Popular:
I wanted to try a plastic butterfly razor since I had never owned one. I figured the Feather would be the one. It's cheap, well built and the one I got is Made in Japan!
Loaded a blade and had my first (and last) shave with it. Zero and I mean zero efficiency! It felt and performed like I was running a butter knife across my face.
That was a bummer!
I didn't sell it since it was cheap and it seems like a cool piece to keep. After the one shave, I put it back in it's case and in storage it went.

Mandatory disclaimer for my two choices: YMMV!

Those are my only two!
Which one(s) have been the worst for you?

My 2 worst:

1) Merkur's open comb. Somehow mild enough to not shave, and still give me razor burn. Maybe it was a technique issue, but I never went back.

2) Henson's aluminum standard razor. Between being inefficient and so light that I needed to consciously resist the usual "minimal pressure" habit, it just wasn't worth it for me. I do enjoy the Yaqi Tile (clone, in stainless so it's heavy and doesn't need pressure). Looked really cool, though.
Oh snap, thanks for this, had never heard of the Yaqi Tile and I have an extra winning razor handle that is looking for a head. Perhaps this shall be it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just re-read this thread from the beginning to today's date. I have a few more shaves in since this thread started.

I feel fortunate. I've avoided using almost all the razors mentioned here with just a few exceptions.

I'm still struggling to make a few razors I have work for me but only one truly fits into the "horrible, beyond bad" category. I bought a Yaqi Sentinel... and got one from their second batch. Somewhere along the line, they changed the geometry and I used the SB Sentinel 1.5 one time. I bought both the SB and OC versions. By the time I used the 1.5 SB, I'd been wet shaving for well over a year. I'm coming up on two years in a few months. It cut my face up something fierce. The Sentinel was so bad for me, I offered one of them for free along with a purchase of a razor I had for sale. Only one got claimed. I still have the Sentinel OC 1.5 squirreled away in a thin tackle box somewhere.

I used the RazoRock SuperSlant L2++ the other day. It worked quite well for me. I guess I learned some things shaving with the other slants I have during Slantember, because I had real problems with it early on. I still think I need one of the more mild base plates for it. It's been suggested, I'd probably love the L1++OC. As funds become available, I might try that.... but I have to agree with @BradWorld , I did buy a Wolfman WR2 0.95 and it is perfect for me... so perfect, my next purchase will be a WR4. I already have a Darwin handle and stand waiting for it, so it won't be terribly expensive.

I don't want to sound like a Pollyanna and, granted, I've only been at this game for about a year now but I haven't used a truly bad DE razor so far. I would say that my Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji has disappointed me on more than one occasion. Depending upon the blade and soap, sometimes even on the mildest setting it shaves like a very aggressive razor. But then other times it shaves wonderfully. Alas, 'tis still a mystery to me. But I keep it in my rotation, albeit gingerly.

The TTO/Super Speed clone razors that Sally Beauty used to sell was pretty crappy. I grabbed several years ago because I wasn't patient enough to order an Edwin Jagger and wait for it to ship. I shaved with it once...logged onto Amazon with several bits of toilet paper still stuck to my face.

The Tech-style razor that comes as part of the Wild Willy beard grooming kit from Walmart was less than impressive on the one neck pass I've made with it. I'll be fair and say that I was in a hurry, and didn't prep well. I'll give it another go at some point before I clump it is as one of the "worst".

I didn't have the highest hopes for either razor, and would definitely recommend that one skips a department store razor and go straight to something like an EJ or vintage.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don't get along with a popular design.

The Rex Envoy and likely Ambassador (I only have then Envoy) and the Yaqi Final Cut and its brass/steel version, I have the SS version Ultima, are based on the "GIBBS" razor.

The Yaqi is a bit better than the Envoy with either setting, but the whole Gibbs range doesn't quite seem to work out for me. I can't quite get it, as I often rather have way more aggressive razors, must be an angle thing. I have to do more corrections with them than most of my other razors.

This said, the worst is still a DSCosmetic dual comb, X1 or X2 or so, that is so mild that it barely shaves. The Mamba from Razorock is also irritatingly mild and inefficient. And I am talking about the .70 version, not the .53...^^

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've played the field. Lately I find myself liking my mild razors. Henson, DE89 and Feather Popular. Of the Henson's I have both + and ++ and I find the closeness equal but the++ has more blade feel but gives no better shave, so I prefer the +.

Lately though the DE89 which seems to be everyone's choice as a first razor but no one's choice as their daily driver has been getting the most use. I've quit caring about BBS every time because in 12 hours it's not bbs and tomorrow, I need to shave again.

<theory alert>I realized that certain razors, R41, Rocca, Gem in particular while giving great shaves that didn't leave my face irritated in any way were probably not optimal. My skin hours after using those razors was much oilier than if I used the Henson or DE89. That leads me to believe the others were over shaving me and the skin was going into some sort of recovery mode where it made more oil than normal to fix whatever damage I had done </theory alert>

<theory alert>I realized that certain razors, R41, Rocca, Gem in particular while giving great shaves that didn't leave my face irritated in any way were probably not optimal. My skin hours after using those razors was much oilier than if I used the Henson or DE89. That leads me to believe the others were over shaving me and the skin was going into some sort of recovery mode where it made more oil than normal to fix whatever damage I had done </theory alert>

I'm wondering the same thing, @Chandu. I was just wondering if when I chase BBS and get a bit more feedback from alcohol astringent, does that make my face oilier. On the other side, if I wen't for a slightly less close shave, maybe I'd be less oily. Given all the other variables, this his hard to test, but I'm wondering the same thing as you.

I read a lot about bad blades but don't read much about bad razors!

Those are my only two!
Which one(s) have been the worst for you?
I'm brand new to wet shaving so not much in the way of experience. Also I have a light beard and sensitive skin.

I really like the Tech but I think I can see why some people don't like it. It doesn't give much feedback or a very close shave. I like the lack of feedback and its gentle nature, and I don't seem to have any trouble finding the angle, so I've liked it so far.

On the one hand, I don't see why people would keep using a razor that gives them a bad shave. On the other, I've read several accounts of people needing a month or more to dial in the use of a certain razor. I guess with experience it becomes more obvious when that might be a possibility.

Last 3 shaves have been with Shave Secret. I love the convenience of it, and it serves as its own balm! However you do have to rinse with hot running water or it won't clean the oil off the blade. Anyway my experience with that was that the oil gives even less feedback, and it protects your face more.

I really didn't like the Rex Envoy and I have no desire to use it again, but I'm going to keep it and try it again after I've been doing this for six or eight months. I have a feeling that my bad experience with it was just because I'm a newbie and haven't worked out my technique entirely yet.

MtB

Top Bottom