What's new

What razor do you use most often and why?

Well, technically I only own a Gillette Superspeed and a Merkur 1904, so they are my most (and only) used razor. I'm thinking I like the SS more though.

Not really - I rotate my razors using one until the blade dies then pick another. Now, the question would be if I could only have one... My razors:

Merkur Futur
Merkur HD
1940s Gillette SuperSpeed
1958 Gillette Fatboy
1960 Gillette Fatboy
1935 Gillette Tech

If I had to shave with one, it would be a tossup between the Tech and the 1960 Fatboy. Probably the Fatboy.

Dennis

Merkur classic and G1 model injector.

I've only been using the injector for a couple of weeks, but fitted with a Pella injector, this is quickly gaining as my shaving tool of choice - quick, easy BBS shaves. This is easily the most idiot-proof of any safety razor I have used.

greendyk said:
I alternate between the Merkur HD and Classic Long, and an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth (also has a Merkur fixed head). I've owned the Vision and Futur, but sold them. I get consistently better shaves from the Merkur fixed heads than I ever got even once from the two Merkur adjustables. No nicks anymore either.

John

Same here! I still have a Merkur Progress...now collecting dust! It looks nice on my little display though. I have absolutely NO plans to buy a Futur or Vision [I'd rather spend my funds on brushes at this point]. I've also tried Gillette adjustables and have yet to find one I really, really like. At this point I rely on my Merkur Fixed Head razors daily. Most days it's either the Classic or 1904, with an occasional Slant day. :thumbup1: YMMV.

Although I'm pretty regular across a 15 razor rotation, my go to is a 6/8 Fredrick Reynolds 'smiling' straight with a spike point, Sheffield Steel...wonderful shaver. Why? It hones easily, holds an edge for a long time, and the shave is consistently smooth and comfortable.

Ed

Since I gave away my HD to my dad recently, I now have only the Futur. Opinions are divided on this razor, I know. I like it, and recently I got the best shave of my life from it. But I must admit that the HD is the best, IMO.

So is the Futur for me. I have Israeli Persona blades, Derby Extras, and Feathers.

Next I might purchase either a Merkur long handle, or maybe a new HD.

I'm a bit chicken about trying the slant bar, but I am quite curious about it as well.

Merkur Vision with Feather blades most of the time. On occasion I use one of my Theirs Isaard straights for the nice diversion and to give me an excuse to keep all of my hones, strops and pastes.

Merkur Vision w/Feather blade - it just doesn't get any better.....for me!

2nd favorite would be Merkur long-handle classic

Probably Futur next, then a laundry list of Gillettes.

A Merkur HD DE, Dovo 5/8 and Hen & Rooster straights. Have to confess, I still have my old M3, but haven't used it for quite a while. I just stare at it once in a while and wondered what I was thinking when I bought it.

I want to switch my vote from my Gillette Tech to a Merkur Classic Long Handle. If I keep getting shaves like the one I got today, I'll never use anything else!

Until my Gillette Fat Boy arrives of course. Or my Gillette Super Speed.

Christoph said:
I'm a bit chicken about trying the slant bar, but I am quite curious about it as well.

When I told Kephany at Londons (www.shoplondons.com) over the weekend about the Slant, her eyes widdened like most people do when you tell them that you shave with a straight.

Trust me, this razor only LOOKS intimidating, but in actual practice is a very tame and gentle razor. Emily says that it's an aggressive razor, but I do no find this to be the case. Sure, it will draw blood, but so can my Futur and my adjustables if you don't mind technique and pressure.

Two passes with my Slant and I'm at BBS. This is great for me since I have sensitive skin and cannot take many passes without burns. While I've experienced "pulling" with other razors, the Slant is the only one that I've tried that doesn't seem to pull as it shaves.

They're not expensive and they're hardly any reason not to try them on account of their price. For me, the Slant with a Derby is the answer. While it is still fun to experiment, it is a nice feeling to know that the Slant offers dependable, reliable and predictible shave results.

-joedy

I have about two dozen razors, and alternate all of them. But here is what I mainly rotate:

Merkur Futur
Merkur 34c HD
Edwin Jagger Faux Ivory
Gillette Rocket
Gillette SuperSpeed
Gillette Adjustable
Ever-Ready
Matador DE (Old Swedish :w00t: )

And a lot of old vintage, both open and closed combs.

And to complete the madness I will recieve my first Injector any day now :biggrin:

W

wiskerbiscuit

I have a Vision, a FatBoy, a Merkur HD, a Gillette 40s Superspeed and a Gillette black handled adjustable.

I went through a long period where I only used the Vision, but have lately been favoring the Superspeed and the HD. I've been getting very good shaves and they are easy to use, too.

I'm sure I'll eventually go back to the Vision, but find that I do better when I stick with 1 razor for a while, so I'm dancing with the HD for now!

Hey Mitch,
What makes the HD in your opinion? I keep hearing all good things!!

Top Bottom