What's new

How often do you rotate razors ?

Using a different razor every day is fun but it doesn't allow me to really learn to use them right. I think I need to set all of my razors aside and just do one for a while, then switch to another etc. This will also allow me to clear up the top shelf.

So, what should it be ? A week is a minimum. Two weeks ? Three weeks ? A month ? How often do you rotate your razors ?

Using a different razor every day is fun but it doesn't allow me to really learn to use them right. I think I need to set all of my razors aside and just do one for a while, then switch to another etc. This will also allow me to clear up the top shelf.

So, what should it be ? A week is a minimum. Two weeks ? Three weeks ? A month ? How often do you rotate your razors ?
I generally use two razors a week. Monday through Wednesday and then Thursday through Saturday leaving Sunday shaveless. Sometimes I'll shorten the length I use one if I'm not enjoying it, or lengthen the time if I really enjoy it. Usually no more than a week per razor.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I was definitely better at shaving when I exclusively used the R41 and tried different blades for weeks. Now I use every other day another razor.

While one can learn some flexibility and trying out new things from switching razors, mastery isn't achieved anymore due to a lack of practice with the same razor.

Some people join monthly or yearly restraint threads.

Or you keep it simple: shave as long with a razor as you like or feel you mastered it. Relearning to shave perfectly with a particularly model doesn't seem to take more than two-three shaves in sequence for me.

For instance I might have to give the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC another go soon. I got a perfect BBS on my face and thought the same true for my neck, but felt quite serious regrowth early on the next day under my chin. I think I held back there as the Sentinel has quite some injury potential with its 1.5 gap.

Someone once came up with 10.000 hours practice to reach true mastery claims. That might be true, but if I can get a BBS already with some near 10.000 less hours of practice, I don't have the desire to do it even better anymore.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
With the razors I'm comfortable with, I'll mix it up any time, but it doesn't rule out that I'll use the same one many days in a row.

If/when I get a new razor however, I'll stick with it until I've "solved" it, before mixing things up again.

Well, I have 15 and get great shaves from all of them. I use a different razor every time I shave. Now when I get a new razor I like to use it exclusively for at least 5 shaves, maybe more just to acquaint myself with it. I really don't need that much because if I cant figure it out after 5 swings I tend to move on and so does the razor.

Whatever my mood is. Sometimes I think I might be better off with one or another razor for whatever reason. Sometimes I just want to use one of them.

There's no rotation, just quasirandom selection.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I rotate when it’s time for a blade change, excepte DE… I’ll run two blades, then rotate.

Blackbird: 2 blades (~6 shaves)
Vector: 1 blade (~9 shaves on an AC blade)
Sabre: 1 blade (~12 shaves on a GEM blade)
Blackbird again, different blade (I have two favorites)
Feather SR Shavette: ~9 shaves

Shaving six days/week, it takes me about seven weeks to get through all of my razors and blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I rotate both razor and blade weekly. I start Monday morning with a razor and a blade and I use them until Sunday morning. Some blades feel done after three or four shaves and others could go past seven shaves. Out here in Australia we pay more than $1.00 per blade so I like to get some mileage from my blades.

I rotate both razor and blade weekly. I start Monday morning with a razor and a blade and I use them until Sunday morning. Some blades feel done after three or four shaves and others could go past seven shaves. Out here in Australia we pay more than $1.00 per blade so I like to get some mileage from my blades.

Wow. AUD or USD ?

I have 8 different razors so far. I just started wet shaving just two months ago, after over 35 years of using cartridges.

Many people have advised me to stick with one razor until I have nailed down my technique. Until I feel like I have my technique squared away, I am using 3 different razors that are variations of the same design (Merkur 38C, 42C, and 34C). I use the 38C the most, but I get about the same shave with all three.

My two best shaves, so far, have been with the 42C and a Feather blade.

I consider my greatest leap forward to be when I started to use pre-shave oil.

My skin is better than it has been in years, since I have been wet shaving. In my opinion, what I have spent on wet shaving has more than paid for itself.

Out of the three that I currently rotate, I just use whichever of those 3 that I feel like using.

Top Bottom