What's new

What razor do you use most often and why?

My goto is a Gillette Super Adjustable.Feels great in your hand and I can dial it down to 1 or 2 when I dont want to go too close.:001_smile

Got a BBS yesterday with a '39 Tech and a brand new Feather blade. Because that setup was irritation free it'is a go to combo. Also like the '53 SS, and the Schick Krona.

I only use a Merkur 38C (Hefty Barber Pole). I am think about getting a slant bar HD just to try - but I have had VERY good results with the 38C. I like the heft - the other DE's seem to be fly-weights in comparison.

Even better - I would like to see a barber pole slant model.

My Schick L-1 injector has become my go-to razor, as it provides me with by far my most comfortable shaves, and they're fairly competitive with a DE in terms of closeness.

My parat when I want to get a classical nice shave.
My Weishi for everyday use, mostly because it shaves well and can be replaced easily, should it get damaged.

I used to have most of the Merkur models, but decided to thin the herd and just keep my 2 HD's, a 23C (long handle classic), and 38C.
For me, Merkur's fixed heads are just perfect, so all the adjustables had/have to go.

I used to have most of the Merkur models, but decided to thin the herd and just keep my 2 HD's, a 23C (long handle classic), and 38C.
For me, Merkur's fixed heads are just perfect, so all the adjustables had/have to go.

So, I just gotta ask.... Why two HDs?

-Mo

My goto is a Gillette Super Adjustable.Feels great in your hand and I can dial it down to 1 or 2 when I dont want to go too close.:001_smile

+1

Agree with everything you said. Out of all the razors I've owned, sold, and coveted, my favorite is a short handled Super Adjustable. It is magic for me set at a "4".

Rick

It is currently a toss-up between my slant and a '58 fat boy. I have a vision on the way and I am curious to see what develops when I add this one to the mix.

So, I just gotta ask.... Why two HDs?

-Mo

In the eventuality WW3 brakes out and they discontinue making 'em, of course.

No, seriously, I need to have one in my washing bag at all times as I forget to pack every time. Same goes for all the other grooming items.

My gillette slim adjustable & my apollo. the gillette is gentler and great when your pushed for time. But the Apollo get a sinisterly close shave but at the price of absolute concentration, else I lose an ear!! Si

I use my Merkur HD most often. Why? Because it's the only one I have... *sob*

I'm struggling through SSAD and CPAD (computer part acquisition disorder) right now...

I only use a Merkur 38C (Hefty Barber Pole). I am think about getting a slant bar HD just to try - but I have had VERY good results with the 38C. I like the heft - the other DE's seem to be fly-weights in comparison.

Even better - I would like to see a barber pole slant model.

+1 on the 38C, although I'm using a SS Red tip right now and going through the blade selections again. It may bump the 38. Can't believe I"m saying that. I have a Tech that I love too. It is such a mild shaver, but a little too mild for my daily go to razor. I have another SS, a Slim and a Fat boy on the way so we'll see how those end up in the mix. Oh and I have a Straight on the way so I may be in for a major change depending on how that goes. :thumbup:

This is my go-to razor because it shaves like a dream and hones up just as easily. Besides, You gotta love using an implement that's a century old and still going strong.

X

OMG that is SO beautiful. This is the kind of straight I could see ending my dance with the DE.....:em2200:

I use a bunch, honestly. Aristocrats and slants seem to be the top of the heap for me. Not an adjustable guy, can't say why they don't work for me.

Favorites: #16 UK Aristocrat, any late '40s/early '50s USA Aristocrat, '20s Bostonians, '30 De Luxe Big Fellow, Merkur slants (in gold...the gold just shaves better :rolleyes: ). Feather or Derby blades.

For head shaving, a Blue Tip SuperSpeed. Although recently, I've started getting great results with a late '40s SuperSpeed. The excellent forgiving-but-still-way-sharp Dorco blades are a constant for me for head shaving, whatever razor I use.

I have a Vision,slant, and a Feather RG "Special." I mostly use the Vision and then the Feather. The slant gives a great shave but it is teeny tiny so I don't use it too much.

I find all my pre-1960's Superspeed/Rockets and English Aristocrats to be nice shavers, along with the Progress. If I had to choose today, it would be my heavy Junior Aristocrat. I'll report back once I've tried my #16....

Chuck

Top Bottom