What's new

How often do you rotate razors ?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
My skin is better than it has been in years, since I have been wet shaving. In my opinion, what I have spent on wet shaving has more than paid for itself.
Seconded. Not even cuts from overshaving I sometimes fabricate in my quest for a BBS ruin my skin, it's super healthy.
I very rarely suffer irritation, it seems to me a much cleaner shave than running several times them any blades of a Gillette Fusion over the same place, which is not hard to imagine to cause lots and lots of micro injuries.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, I have 15 and get great shaves from all of them. I use a different razor every time I shave. Now when I get a new razor I like to use it exclusively for at least 5 shaves, maybe more just to acquaint myself with it. I really don't need that much because if I cant figure it out after 5 swings I tend to move on and so does the razor.
That's what I do. All my top razors are in the same efficiency zone. They got there because I used them for a while when I first received them... 4 or 5 shaves in a row like you. After they make it into my Top Razor List, I can select any of them on a whim and get the same great shaves I expect.

That said, when I was starting out, I used the same AC razor for over 5 months as I developed my shaving technique which included mastering my face whisker map. I think there is a huge benefit to starting out with a good razor and sticking with it for a while. I didn't know that at the time. I just got lucky.

I go through a rotation of razor types. All pretty much SE. And then different razors within the type by date of last use.
I keep a spreadsheet of my shaves (date, razor, blade, # passes, brush, soap, and my thoughts/comments)

Rotation now is:

Wilkinson Sword Empires (3)
GEM/EverSharp Razors (25)
Valet Autostrop (13)
Injector (5)
Modern AC Razors (6)
Various SE Razors (8)

I also rotate my Soaps and Brushes this way - by date of last use.

I found I disliked that when I had a rotation not all shaves were created equal and found myself reaching for the razor that gave me the most efficient shave all the time. In the last 5yrs I have only owned 2 razors, Timeless Ti95DC and the Ti Blackbird, and the Ti BB made me sell the Ti95DC because it was lacking the efficiency the Ti BB offered. Granted it was only by a few hours but still, it was less efficient and found I picked the Ti BB up 99.9% of the time. I shave every other day because the efficiency is on such a high level and find I simply don't have enough stubble at the 24hr mark and what that feels like is still probably better than most consider a great shave when they shave daily!!

Never.

Sometimes I’ll try a new razor or circle back to one that didn’t quite work for me, but I don’t see the appeal in “rotating” razors.

The razor that’s been the best for me, although not perfect, is the lowly Gillette Guard. Refills cost a quarter apiece, and I get five shaves out of one with the right lather and consistency.

As I often only use a blade once or twice, I tend to rotate razors rather often - almost every shave is a different razor, especially as I also like to mix it up between formats.

However, after some initial RAD a the beginning of my wet-shaving career I settled into using first a 34c and then a Fatip Grande as my only razors for the best part of a decade - I wasn't always so inconstant in my razor affections as I am today!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
So, what should it be ? A week is a minimum. Two weeks ? Three weeks ? A month ? How often do you rotate your razors ?

I try to shave the dome three times a week. It's been my long-standing routine to do that on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My favourite blade is the Russian Astra SP, from which I get six good shaves. At three a week that's two weeks worth of shaves, and so I use a razor for at least two weeks and switch it out when I bin the blade. I'm conceptually flexible enough to vary that on occasion; change a razor early that isn't working well (or works too well), or extending my play with a razor that I'm enjoying.

At the moment I'm taking an extended run with the ATT S2. When I totted up the year end usage stats I realized I'd only used the S2 once in 2023, during SLANTember. Such a wonderful razor needs a bit more use, hence I'm doing that.

O.H.

Using a different razor every day is fun but it doesn't allow me to really learn to use them right. I think I need to set all of my razors aside and just do one for a while, then switch to another etc. This will also allow me to clear up the top shelf.

So, what should it be ? A week is a minimum. Two weeks ? Three weeks ? A month ? How often do you rotate your razors ?
How about one year or for me it was nearly 10 years before I switched from my Gillette fat boy to a cartridge razor then back to my safety razor. In the 40 plus years of wet shaving I have only used three different safety razors. My fat boy now retired, a piece of junk Viking blade emperor Agusta and my Rockwell T2s. And all I will ever use unless I get my fat boy repaired is my T2s. Use one razor one brand of blade for a long time. If you want to spend a whole lot of money on razors knock yourself out. I have one that I use and will only ever use. That’s me. Now when it comes to creams and soaps stand back I will buy just about any shave cream or soap just to try. In the last fifteen years before my beard and post beard I have a plethora of shave soaps and creams. One thing that I did find out is they would work very well as a beard shampoo so no money wasted there with growing facial hair.

Guilty of sometimes rotating daily, one day with the Rex, next with the R41, Razor Meister GEM, Gillette New, or whatever. I do favor the R41 and Rex, as they with the Razor Meister Prime (R89 Clone) seem to shave the closest. Once or twice mid-shave when the blade is just done, and its easier to just grab the other than to bother to stand there and swap blades when I'm in a hurry.

I go through a rotation of razor types. All pretty much SE. And then different razors within the type by date of last use.
I keep a spreadsheet of my shaves (date, razor, blade, # passes, brush, soap, and my thoughts/comments)

Rotation now is:

Wilkinson Sword Empires (3)
GEM/EverSharp Razors (25)
Valet Autostrop (13)
Injector (5)
Modern AC Razors (6)
Various SE Razors (8)

I also rotate my Soaps and Brushes this way - by date of last use.
Why? That just sounds painful to even do.

I work every other Sun, W-F and every other Mon-Tue, Sat. 7 days over 14. I set up 4 razors for the 2 weeks, 2 for work 2 for days off. Change blades, clean and change at least 2-3 razors. Never change my Ikon Tech.

I have 7 replaceable blade straights and I rotate through them over and over, one shave for each. I also use DE for the second pass. I have a ton of DEs, and like just use whatever I feel like using. Lately, though, I have been using the Chiseled Face Legacy all the time. I just haven't felt the urge to use any of my other DEs.

I will keep using it until I feel like changing it. Maybe I will just stick with it forever. Who knows?

I just pickup the one I want in the morning. This can mean I am using the same razor for a few weeks but then I eventually get bored and pick up another. I sometimes have a specific reason for picking a razor like if I am in a hurry or tired and want a quick easy shave or need to clear several days of growth. I'm down to just 5 safety razors now so it's auto pilot which I use - my hand seems to land on the right one.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I rotate both razor and blade weekly. I start Monday morning with a razor and a blade and I use them until Sunday morning. Some blades feel done after three or four shaves and others could go past seven shaves. Out here in Australia we pay more than $1.00 per blade so I like to get some mileage from my blades.
Ouch! Now I know why Crocodile Dundee shaved with his knife.

Top Bottom