What's new

What razor do you use most often and why?

Most of the time it's my Feather AC straight as I can get a BBS with three passes and a touchup. When I use my DEs, it's either the Futur or the Slant. Need four passes and a touchup with them!

Gareth

J

Jarmo P

I try to alternate between Merkur HD and Personna Tri-Flexxx.
I used tho shave almost totally with HD, but now I am back using that IMO very underrated cartridge razor from ASR also every other day. The cartridge cost is nowhere near Gillette M3.

Most used to least used:

Slant recently moved to the top spot.
38C
Futur
SS

I mostly use Derby's...mostly. Feathers are a tad sharp for me- I much prefer the NOS Feathers. On a tip from some B&Bers I picked up some blades from Family Dollar and they are suprisingly decent. Next up are the red APs...

I rotate between razors. Mekur Futur, Merkur HD, Merkur long handle open comb, Gillette Superspeed. They also all have different blades in at the moment. Futur has a Feather, HD has a Wilkinson sword, Superspeed has a "Boots" (Chemist chain store in Britain), Merkur long handle has a Merkur blade. All totally different, all great fun to use. I never cut myself with any of them!
Cheers,
Martin :biggrin:

Current favourite DE - Gilette Slimtwist

Current favourite straight - Wade WItherspoon Rowbotham & Co.
6/8th Irish Point

The Slimtwist was too reasonably priced to leave (about $3), and looks flimsy by comparison to my Rockets. I used it first out of curiosity and now it's my #1 DE.

The Wade was the razor I had to do the most hone work on. Not suprisingly I over-honed it first time out, and it shaved so badly, I just put it away. Then a few weeks ago I bought a Rolls. I decided to back-hone the Wade on the hone that came with it, and then take the razor back to the 8000 grit stone. It worked like a charm.

Graham

Most used would be a tie between my 40's SS and Merkur Progress. The 40's SS for forgiveness and the Progress (with a Feather) for closeness. I think I'm getting a Futur for Christmas, so we'll see how things change in the next year. After that, I'll only really have left a Fat Boy and an Injector to try out. Based on my experiences with a Slim Adjustable, I don't think the Fat Boy will be near the top of my list. I still fell compelled to try one though.

after rotating through a bunch of new vintage gillettes, i got one of my easiest and best shaves ever from the beat up old tech that i got for a birthday 7 years ago from an old friend (it, the old spice mug, and the rex boar brush were all her grandpa's (i did have to get new soap)). but i'm not done learning or experimenting yet.

Wow, no one likes the red tip SS? Maybe I missed it?

My top two, in no particular order:

Slant
Red Tip SS

Been digging IPs & Wilks lately for blades.

Just snagged my Dad a minty red tip on the 'bay, with the red case -- much nicer than mine, but hey, I think he'll love it for that upcoming holiday. He's been shaving with the same Knack for the last 30 years -- I know, it's a lot milder than the red tip, but I really think he'll like the SuperSpeed. I know I'm loving my old beat up red tip.

And the Slant -- what a fantastic razor.:badger:

I use a bunch of Gillettes, but it's a toss-up of the most used --divided between a 40's Aristocrat and a late 60's plastic handled Knack. Both give me an exceptional shave.

-- John Gehman

My top 3 razors are.....
1- Merkur Vision::I just love this razor and it shaves like a champ
2- Merker Mergress:: Nicely modified Progress, and it too, shaves great
3- Gillette '59 Fatboy:: I got this razor NIB and just enjoy how well it shaves

Been using the Feather AC DX non-folding lately. Still the odd morning where I am running late and use the Rocket w/ IP.

This is my go-to razor because it shaves like a dream and hones up just as easily. Besides, You gotta love using an implement that's a century old and still going strong.

X

Top Bottom