What's new

What do you listen to while you shave? Music? Talk radio? Silence?

I think it was Schopenhauer who said there is an entire philosophy in each shave. The man had a point. One of the wonderful things about shaving is the quiet time it gives you to think, to ruminate...

I remember reading in What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Murakami Haruki that this is from W. Somerset Maugham.

NPR often drowned out by my 4 year old daughter, sitting on the bathroom countertop watching me shave (she likes to make the lather), asking me 20 questions about everything in my dop kit. What's this? What's this? Why do you have that? What's it for?

Classical music, lately I've been on a piano kick with lots of Chopin. It just puts me in the right mood for a relaxing straight shave.

after i get a nice foam in my mug, the mirror defogged and i start to work a thick lather on my grizzly chops:

SWMBO squawking, cell phone ringing(swmbo), baby crying or a random unexplainable noise. :001_rolle

Last edited:
On work days I actually stumble down the hallway in the dark and shower in the guest bathroom so that i CAN listen to music during my morning routine. During the shower the Ipod goes on shuffle but for the shave it's usually Maggot Brain by George Clinton and the Funkadelic. Greatest (IMHO) guitar solo of all time, very relaxing, and at around 10 minutes is the perfect length for a wet shave.

good stuff guys, I actually took the light switch out and disconnected the wire leading to the exhaust fan that automatically used to come on with the light in my apartment. I don't miss it :biggrin1:

I listen to nothing. Nada. Zilch.
I shave in the morning and this is my last chance for peace and quiet before all Hades breaks loose.

I remember reading in What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Murakami Haruki that this is from W. Somerset Maugham.

Ah yes, you're right - thank you. That's where I read it as well. (It sounds like something Schopenhauer would have said, though; maybe that's why I thought of him.)

Wonderful book by Murakami, isn't it?

aside from kids knocking on the door to go pee or wanting their bums wiped, absolute silence.

i usually turn the bathroom fan on, so i don't have to hear them in the living room or hallway arguing and causing trouble.

Bona fide night shaver here. I use shaving as my winding down time so I pick the music accordingly. It is usually an ambient/post-rock artist such as Stars Of The Lid, Loscil, or my long-time favorite, Hammock.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I listen to the morning news. And every 5 minutes my wifes alarm as she continues to hit snooze. The darn thing crows like a Rooster.

Top Bottom