What's new

What do you listen to while you shave? Music? Talk radio? Silence?

When I first began wetshaving a little over a month ago I was enthralled by the new sounds (and smells, but that thread's been done once or twice). The swish of my brush in the bowl, the resonant, gravelly grumble of a sharp single blade, and the pleasant bubbling a quick swish of my razor head in a basin of warm water produced were all a part of the therapeutic, relaxing daily ritual. As time progresses, I find myself shaving in differing moods, at alternate times of day and with various states of urgency; this has led me to a new zen of shaving.

All that being said, I thought it would be fun and interesting to get an idea about what everyone is hearing while they shave. I often like music while I shower, and since I shave directly after my shower that was my first stop. Yesterday it was Metal Fingers Volume 5, this morning I could only stomach NPR in my sleepiness. I have a feeling that the Largo al factotum aria will be a popular tune for my straight razor shaving thanks to Bugs Bunny, and I am contemplating a "Black magic woman" shave before my next hot date :thumbup1:

Share!

I listen to the beautiful hum of a Panasonic electric shaver. Way better than any wet shaver.

Kidding!

Sometimes if my iPod is handy I'll stick it in my player and listen to some Dave Brubeck Quartet. Mostly it's just silence with the scraping sound of whiskers being cut.

Usually the rest of my house is asleep when I'm shaving so no music or other "unnecessary" sounds.

In my cartridge shaving days, I'd turn on the radio when everyone else was awake. When I first started with a DE I used the sound to tell when I had the angle of the razor right so I quit listening to the radio. Now I prefer the quiet and concentrated (overused but) Zen approach to shaving. Amazing what a brush, some soap and an old razor does to change your whole outlook on what had been a dreaded task.

I think it was Schopenhauer who said there is an entire philosophy in each shave. The man had a point. One of the wonderful things about shaving is the quiet time it gives you to think, to ruminate...

Usually just the exhaust fan.

Yup. I shave after putting our daughter to bed. Her bedroom is adjacent to the shave den. I'm not normally a silence kind of guy, but there's something about the zen-induction of shaving for me that makes it as close to perfect as you can get.

Besides, I wouldn't want music pumping me up anyways. I need to be relaxed and focused if I don't want to bleed.

Silence during the week, the radio on weekends.
Our bedroom is adjacent to the bathroom.
I don't want to make any extra noise and wake SWMBO.
Never wake SWMBO before it's time to. Not a good idea at all.

I listen to stuff like Radiola or British dance band music on my MP3 player (with speakers).

Vintage music, some great, some just a bit odd, but all fun. I think the vintage razors appreciate it :laugh: It's not loud, so I can still hear the razor doing its work. If you don't like this stuff for shaving, try it in the car while commuting. Very soothing.

In the morning my little girl usually hops on my bed and watches Spongebob in my room while I'm shaving in half-bathroom, so what I'm usually listening to are the laughs of a three-year old. And I can't think of anything that would sound better.

Top Bottom