What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you have a shave and it puts a smile on your face you have accomplished something great. When I was younger and had to shave it was boring with my cartridge razors. My job made it a mandatory task because of possible chemicals leaks in our plant.
Strange how we change over the years from boring to enjoyable.

After (6) shaves with a Kai DE, was still shaving fine, thought it was time for a new blade. Amazing how much better a new blade is, smoother, less clean-ups, the old one wasn't that bad, but glad I changed. (6) may be my limit....

I’m still not sure about bowl lathering, but I’m giving it a chance. The Captain’s Choice heavy copper bowl is aesthetically pleasing and can whip up a good lather. The question for me is whether I want to lather the bowl or my face. Having been informed that a major advantage to the bowl lathering is the hot lather throughout the shave that I was not able to get. This caused another purchase. A 3 quart double walled stainless bowl filled (to allow most of the copper bowl to be submerged) with water from a tea kettle does the trick. It keeps the lather quite warm.

Evidently several years of wearing a goatee has left that area a bit sensitive. I'm a daily shaver, and that area demands a bit of extra care for the time being.

No nicks or weepers is possible with any razors.
IMG_20201204_121756.jpg

Once again that La Toja is an awesome soap;

Once again that the '62 Gillette Slim is an incredible razor when used properly. For some time now I've been using it on a 48-hour beard at settings 5, then 4, then 3. Today I set it at 6, then 5, then 4. The 6 mowed my bristles down without effort, almost without sensation. And here I thought that 5 was as high as I could comfortably go, and that the Slim was not as satisfying a razor to work with as some of my others. Hmph!

That Palmolive Classic shaving cream in the green tube can indeed be lathered by hand without a brush, and can provide a nice slick lather and a good shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I learned that I like shaving steep and safety razors geared towards shaving steep more than Hank Hill loves propane and propane accessories.

That, given the right razor (Merkur Progress today), it is indeed possible for me to reduce that troublesome little patch of stubble under my chin to near BBS without irritation.

Christmas 24-hour beard today. Learned that the Semogue boar brush, which I'd stopped using much at all as being hard to load with soap, loads just fine with a cream -- Trumper's Almond, as it happens. It'll be interesting to see how it does with Palmolive, TOBS, or Proraso Green.

Learned also that the '53 Super Speed, which is somehow my least-used razor, loaded with a Feather blade makes for a terrific and drama-free shave.

Top Bottom