What's new

Please Recommend, New To Me, Shaving Techniques

The opposite of stretching. Seems weird but works.
Alex Jr

Question about skin stretching

I understand the purpose is to get a closer shave. I have tried it a few times when I first began wet shaving. This was after watching and listening to Mike on a Razor Emporium video talking about it. I stopped for some reason. Maybe because at the time I thought it was very time consuming.

Wouldn’t stretching increase the chances of ingrown hairs, and razor bumps?

Alex Jr

Question about skin stretching

I understand the purpose is to get a closer shave. I have tried it a few times when I first began wet shaving. This was after watching and listening to Mike on a Razor Emporium video talking about it. I stopped for some reason. Maybe because at the time I thought it was very time consuming.

Wouldn’t stretching increase the chances of ingrown hairs, and razor bumps?
It depends. If you’re someone who suffers with ingrown hairs than yes. But others never run into trouble. It all depends on your hair and skin.

For me it’s not about ingrown hairs. Stretching for the ATG pass makes it very uncomfortable, more tuggy.

When I do the opposite, I can feel the cap and guard stretching the looser skin ahead, with little to no discomfort whatsoever.

I have a coarse dark stubble so this may not be an issue for some.

About skin stretching...

It is about what makes the whiskers stand up more. In some places that is stretching, in other places that is slacking a bit, in other places it might be puffing up your cheeks. Every face is different and many parts of one's face is different. So feel the stubble, stretch and slack in different ways, and see what makes the whiskers easier to cut.

In the neck area I do X strokes both starting from the top.
I do that buffing shown in the YT video BUT against the grain and only on the cheeks *posterior half*
Mostly using DE, sometimes SE and every leap year w a cart (done for this one)....:eek2::straight:

Back before I started learning how to use a SR, I used disposables. For the most part, it was WTG and "one and done." The exception was under my jaw and my neck because it was hard for me to get an acceptable shave there. I ended up doing a ATG pass there that helped quite a bit. And, it's not hard; just use your free hand to stretch your skin, turn your razor the other way and go for it.

People chase the BBS, some people will never get BBS because of a few reasons.

1. Very sensitive skin.

2. Old Skin because of AGE.

3. very Coarse Beard.

4. You have beard that does not Grow straight in all place on your Face.

If you have any or all of the above condition, and your unlucky, you will get SKIN IRRITATION chasing the BBS.

Many years ago my H/S Buddy Earl was going to Barber College, he asked me two grow my beard a couple of days, as he need someone to take to State Board for his practical, Hair Cut, and Shave.

So I went to the Barber College for his instructor to check out my Beard to see if in was good person to take to State Board, his instructor look at my Beard. Told Earl I was NOT a good choice, because of the way my beard grew, too think, too many swirls in growth pattern.

Recall those remark to this day, one reason I do not CHASE THE BBS. My beard even to this day has those swirls, so I just shave, but never chase the BBS.
I have 3 out of 4. My age, my course beard, and on my neck a cowlick were my beard hair lays flat and in a circle. That area I can do WTG, ATG,XTG all at the same time and it doesn’t matter what type of razor I use be it electric, SE, DE, disposable I always get irritation there. Still looking for the magical blade that will do the trick. Or a expert that can offer advice. Because over the last 40 years nothing has worked.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Salty_Shaver , I saw this advice from @ackvil :

WTG or ATG passes are irrelevant to me.

My beard particularly on my neck grows in so many directions and then in spots swirls so that a WTG pass is meaningless. I look to see in what direction my beard grows the most and that becomes my WTG pass realizing that in some spots it may be XTG and ATG. I then use an exceptionally light touch in going in that direction.

To get a decent shave I have found that I have to do a four-pass shave. My first pass is North to South. As I said some of my beard grows in such a manner that going N to S is against the grain and across the grain. My next pass is from the back of my neck to the front and with the third pass from the front to the back. My final pass is South to North. Most of my beard on the final pass is against the grain but in some places it is WTG and XTG.

Top Bottom