What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Adding a pea size dot Proraso Green cream in the bottom of bowl along with my hard soap makes a great lather.
I face-lather, so if I'm shaving with soap, I occasionally spread a little cream -- Trumper's, TOBS, Palmolive, or Proraso -- on my face first as a kind of pre-shave and lather base. Then I apply and lather the soap. Usually it makes for a terrific lather with a good deal of protection and slickness.

‘Classics’ are classics for the great reason that they really work, like the Haslinger’s schafmilch and Speick splash I used this AM!! :a29: :a29:

Proraso Green cream is fantastic.

Also, for some odd reason, I am not 100% thrilled with using my long-time vintage razor (since 2013), the '62 Slim. Don't get me wrong, it still shaves excellently. But perhaps I'm finding the head a little bulky or the handle a little long for my tastes now that I've been using the '56 Red Tip, the NEW Short Comb, and the modern razors Merkur Progress and Fatip Open Comb Slant.

A blade can be amazing in one razor and terrible in another.

Example:
- Shaverboy in a Rockwell 6S = excellent
- Shaverboy in a Merkur Progress = absolutely awful

YMMV of course...

That my little 1965 3 piece English made Tech is probably my most efficient razor. I’d left it in a drawer for ages, just got it out yesterday. Done two great shaves with it. It’s a great razor for everyday shaving.

By way of background, I'm a newcomer to DE shaving. I've been happy with the #3 plate in my Rockwell 6S, and the one previous time I tried the #4, there was blood. After a bad shave yesterday with the #1 plate (just had to see), I put the #4 back in and had a good, efficient and bloodless shave. What I learned is, pay attention not just to the primary shaving angle, but also to the angle at which the head contacts the face along the guard bar. There should be no angle, i.e. the contact should be flat to the skin, not favoring one end of the blade or the other. That results in unintended pressure. I caught myself laying the head at an angle and realized that was the likely cause of my earlier problem. If you do want to use only part of the blade, e.g. at the corners of the mouth, be very careful to minimize that angle.

I learn that I have to start all over with a Merkur Futur.
Haven't used it in months, tried it earlier this week and it was so uncomfortable, I was tearing up my neck area.
The angle was all wrong.

Sometimes I get what appears to be dry skin on my cheeks immediately after shaving, but this is actually irritation from bad technique.

My FOCS likes a mild blade, and my Parker shavette likes the sharpest thing I can throw in there. Funny, I started the exact opposite way around!

I have a Timeless .68 Stainless Steel that I bought some years ago and have never really gotten along with it very well. I just never really got very good shaves with it despite really giving it many chances. It was never BAD, it just wasn't as comfortable as other razors I own which in turn made it somewhat hard to love. On the other hand the workmanship is immaculate and it's generally such a beautiful looking tool. Anyway, just recently I stuck a Wilkinson Sword blade (the German variety) into it for the first time and received one of the best shaves of my life. Yesterday I tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and confirmed it. I really love this razor now.

Top Bottom