What's new

How I came to accept and embrace canned foam.

I've found canned foam doesn't really work with a straight. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Upon saying that, if it works for you, go ahead and use it. I'm yet to encounter someone checking that my lather is of the correct consistency and made from one of the correct soaps.

I still have some Gillette foamy I bought for my dad to use the first time he and my mother visited (I now live in a different country) 12 or so years ago. I must find a DE and see if it still works.

Canned foam does vary. I live in the UK, and Sainsburys Aloe Vera Shave Foam is stellar -just read the reviews
I'm on the other side of the North Sea in Holland. I was in London for a few days last year but can only recall what was sold at Tesco: the same stuff I can buy over here 😂

So do you usually use Gillette foam?, or any other brand of foam.....or is it gel???

I used Barbasol for years.....still use it sometimes (for quick shave). The one thing I changed: I do not shake the can much....., I find it comes out "runny" and that seems slicker to me?

Canned foam does vary. I live in the UK, and Sainsburys Aloe Vera Shave Foam is stellar -just read the reviews

Ingredients​

INGREDIENTS: AQUA, PALMITIC ACID, TRIETHANOLAMINE, ISOBUTANE, GLYCERIN, LAURETH-23, PROPANE, STEARIC ACID, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, DIMETHICONE, BUTANE, LAVENDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA OIL, SODIUM BENZOATE, CITRIC ACID.

Not really something, I would choose to rub into my face. But, shaving is personal.

Nivea Men sensitive shaving cream is good in a pinch for a one-pass quick shave.

So do you usually use Gillette foam?, or any other brand of foam.....or is it gel???

I used Barbasol for years.....still use it sometimes (for quick shave). The one thing I changed: I do not shake the can much....., I find it comes out "runny" and that seems slicker to me?
Gillette Foamy and Gillette 'Series' are favourites. Also Nivea Sensitive. The Gillette 'Series' gel is great too but I mostly use foams.

You should shake the can so you get a nice lather. It shouldn't be runny. You can must add some water to it and also make sure your hand and face are dripping wet.

Foam is soap delivered through an aerosol can. You won't rub a dry puck of soap or dry cream from a tube on your face either, but you mix it with a brush and water. Same with canned foam, but you just use your hands instead of a brush.

INGREDIENTS: AQUA, PALMITIC ACID, TRIETHANOLAMINE, ISOBUTANE, GLYCERIN, LAURETH-23, PROPANE, STEARIC ACID, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, DIMETHICONE, BUTANE, LAVENDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA OIL, SODIUM BENZOATE, CITRIC ACID.

Not really something, I would choose to rub into my face.
Now compare that to your average brush shaving cream from a tub or tube. It's mostly the same and this isn't really surprising since canned foam is essentially the same soap as the stuff you'd use with a brush, only delivered by other means.

Some people won't use canned foam because it supposedly "dries the face" but have no problem with putting lots of pure alcohol on their face with an aftershave splash such as Tabac.

Other people won't use canned foam because of the aerosols but happily spray their armpits with deodorant/antiperspirant from an aerosol can every single day.

Now compare that to your average brush shaving cream from a tub or tube. It's mostly the same
Sorry, but it is not. I would post more examples but I am on holiday, so here’s an average soap, Sterling:

image.jpg

Sorry, but it is not. I would post more examples but I am on holiday, so here’s an average soap, Sterling:

View attachment 1816092
Another example, Palmolive cream:

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Fatty Acids C12-18, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum, Sodium Silicate, Potassium Chloride, Cocos Nucifera Fruit Extract, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, CI 19140, CI 42090.

In any case, walking out of the door each morning will probably expose your face to many more nasty things than some CI 42090 or C12-18, whatever those ingredients may be.

I am an unashamed canned foam lover, especially Gillette Foamy. I have been trying my hand at soaps lately, but I’ll always love the canned goo and have a can or two on the ready.

Last edited:
I am an unashamed canned foam lover, especially Gillette Foamy. I have been trying my hand at soaps lately, but I’ll always love the canned goo and have a can or two on the ready.
What I like best about foam is the consistency. And the fact that it only requires some water and a razor and you're good to go. No brushes, bowls or anything else.

And don't forget the nostalgia. Being a Generation X'er, I'm from the first generation of guys whose fathers by and large taught their sons the shave without a brush. I like this connection. There's something about foam that I find fascinating if that makes sense.

What I like best about foam is the consistency. And the fact that is only requires some water and a razor to shave with. No brushes, bowls or anything else.

And don't forget the nostalgia. Being a Generation X'er, I'm from the first generation of guys whose fathers by and large taught their sons the shave without a brush. I like this connection. There's something about foam that I find fascinating.
Gen-X were taught by boomers how to shave. Safety razors hot towel canned shaving cream. That was is it. Now and please don’t get me wrong. The creams, soaps and brushes are the equivalent of a woman’s makeup and accessories. Gen X we never worried about sensitive skin or anything like that. But I will tell you what it’s super nice to have options that I didn’t have way back when.

Over the past couple of years, the canned stuff has creeped back into the den. I get great shaves with it.
Foam or gel, they're both just fine by me. I've got a collection now.

And this is the first I've heard about Foamy going back to the classic scent! This makes my night.

Gen-X were taught by boomers how to shave. Safety razors hot towel canned shaving cream. That was is it. Now and please don’t get me wrong. The creams, soaps and brushes are the equivalent of a woman’s makeup and accessories. Gen X we never worried about sensitive skin or anything like that. But I will tell you what it’s super nice to have options that I didn’t have way back when.
It's a double-edged sword I guess. As a boomer, my father never used a brush. The only thing he would change was his choice of cartridge razor after Gillette decided to stop making the type he was using up to that point. I remember the switch from Sensor to Mach 3. I'm 100% sure the thought of using a brush never ever crossed his mind. Let alone setting up a 'den' with all sorts of products.

I always keep a can of barbasol on hand for those days I wake up late in a rush. I never want to rush things with a DE blade. I don't notice a huge difference in shave quality since we have hard water here but I enjoy the experience of making a lather, if I have time.

Hard water necessitates one evaluate using goo. It is too hard to make sufficient later with hard water. With soft, it doesn’t compare to a good cream/puck.
I have very hard water where I live on a scale of hardness for water it’s a 16 the highest on the scale. So I don’t get the lather it’s more of a cream paste with a brush. So canned cream provides a better lather.

Haha I was just talking about this sorta thing in another thread! Hair conditioner does it for me, personally. Recently found out that the kind I use was discontinued so I'm gonna have to find something else...

But yeah. Fancy soaps are great and all, but it's a lotta time and effort.

Once I started face lathering the time it takes to use soap and brush vs canned product is very similar.

I load brush for 10 seconds (If I use a stick. Rub soap stick on face instead). 30 seconds to scrub the face with brush, done. I find that I can re apply lather quicker with my already loaded, brush than getting more canned product on my face.

Now I do not have a problem with canned goof nor foam and I do use them from time to time. Do what works for you. That is all that matters. This is a YMMV world and that is it.

Top Bottom