What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I've been trying a different angle with my Slim with good results. I believe it has been called "riding the cap."
Been using more water with my soap to make it slicker after seeing it suggested here. Also seems to help.

I believe it has been called "riding the cap."
A diagram FYI:
full

Which is kept here in the ShaveWiki. :wink2:

Today I learned to occasionally return to your older equipment, your "newbie" stuff, if you have forsaken it. More specifically, I learned that even a Vander-Weishi can deliver a DFS with the right blades and 8 months of daily-practiced technique.

That what you once thought was"the" blade, may not be over time. My blade has been the Gillette Wilkinson Sword for a couple months Now I'm starting to get weepers all the time and some of the blades don't line up quite right. Tried the Gillette Silver Blue today and am blown away by the difference!

That old favorites still work regardless of new stuff in the den.

Started out loving TFS soap and then moved on to artisan stuff that cost more.

Broke one out the other day and it was the best shave I’ve had all week, by far.

New smells/bases/advertising can hook us, but just because something great has been sitting in your den for months is no reason to discount it.

What I learned from today's shave is that it is possible to pour your bloom water into your lather bowl and lather the bloom water without loading the brush from the puck. It's not easy, but it is possible. It takes FOREVER to knock the bubbles in the protolather down to size, though.

When you're a septuagenarian retiree, you have the time to play around with these things. :wheelchair:

I recently learned that there is something to this infatuation with a cold water shave. While traveling I ended up doing 4 cold shaves (Parker 26c, Gillette 7 O'clock, Valobra stick, WCS synthetic) Not at all what I remember from my cartridge days of long ago. Absolutely possible to get BBS with no irritation. And cold was better than hot with temperatures and humidity in the 90s.

But definitely not as soothing or as pampered as my scuttle and piping hot water in my normal, less sweltering conditions.

I learned today that now that my technique has improved over the course of several hundred shaves, a Derby Extra will shave me as close and as comfortably as a Feather in my R41.

Top Bottom