What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that no matter how cool my RSO may look my geometry is still off and trying to hone it is a loss. I also learned that a $15 FAC clone with a real Feather PRO will make me happy after the disappointment lol!!

I learned today that now that my technique has improved over the course of several hundred shaves, a Derby Extra will shave me as close and as comfortably as a Feather in my R41.
EXACTLY - as I am now on my 5th month of doing this my technique keeps on getting better . - I can imagine after a year! What is surprising is THAT exactly that as my technique gets better the difference in a blades effectiveness becomes smaller and smaller. I am now on my 25th different brand and going up to 35 by the end of my search for differences in blades. Human nature says one wants to have a very discernable difference in blades but it is not a wide difference at all. SO I agree!

Don't go for BBS on either side of my Adam's apple. When new growth comes in it's just an itch-a-thon. Just not worth it, especially during these summer months.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mostly about this edge...

7-25-19.Torrey.Wide.Kit.640.JPG

To begin with I honed this Torrey razor's edge to perfection on my coticule with oil (months ago). In the microscope the edge looked perfect. It was certainly an excellent coticule edge, both sharp and comfortable, but I decided to run it on the Double Convex Ark to see if I could make the edge even sharper.

Now the edge is even sharper and maybe even more comfortable. I think it might be the perfect edge.

I did not do a whole lot of work on the DCA either.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

View attachment 1001880

To begin with I honed this Torrey razor's edge to perfection on my coticule with oil (months ago). In the microscope the edge looked perfect. It was certainly an excellent coticule edge, both sharp and comfortable, but I decided to run it on the Double Convex Ark to see if I could make the edge even sharper.

Now the edge is even sharper and maybe even more comfortable. I think it might be the perfect edge.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You sure have come a long way on the learning curve on how to hone a perfect edge, good for you Jim.

View attachment 1001880

Happy shaves,

Jim

Lovely razor!! Great work on the edge!! :a29: :a29:

I had been a little fearful of Feather blades and avoided them until recently. My first Feather purchase was made to get me to the free shipping amount and offered little risk except to my face. I am now on my third or fourth blade and 11th or 15th shave and find these blades outstanding in my Timeless Titanium 0.68. Maybe earlier when I was refining my technique these blades needed to be feared, but certainly not now.

I’m glad I gave them a chance and no longer fear them. Unfortunately that also means I will most likely be adding to my multi-year blade supply.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thought this was a great illustration how a razor blade works in SE & DE razors and I use both SE & DE and starting to prefer SE as of lately.
Thanks Mick for letting us see this illustration more lividly what occurs and just to share!
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

From my last shave, I learned that I was wrong about the grocery store blades I bought a couple years ago. There is no brand on them, so they're still anonymous, but I will no longer refer to them as "blades of shame." I tried one yesterday. It was the first time for that package in over two years, and an excellent shave resulted. Amazing what a couple years' practice will do!

These days I get good/great results with most any hardware/software that I pick!
So many good options and so little time to enjoy them! :a29::a29:

I learned that my one and only synthetic brush is so limp and floppy it's a waste of time. I've got plenty of nice boar and badger brushes so I'm not sure why I bought the thing in the first place.

Edit- Now I remember why I bought it, The cool barber pole handle. :001_rolle

Not to change a routine that works!

So far I shaved my neck UP-DOWN, OUTSIDE IN, and BOTTOM UP.
Which worked well, but not perfect.

Today I tried to shave the neck following my hair growth direction.

It was a freakin’ massacre.

Back to my previous method......

Shaved for the first time with the new Timeless Aluminum. I got over confident and got three weepers but got a BBS shave without buffing. Guess it pays to go slow with a new razor and learn how it shaves before you go crazy shaving like you do with other razors.:001_rolle

Shaved for the first time with the new Timeless Aluminum. I got over confident and got three weepers but got a BBS shave without buffing. Guess it pays to go slow with a new razor and learn how it shaves before you go crazy shaving like you do with other razors.:001_rolle
Second shave much better! No pressure used and let the razor do it’s thing and received a great shave with no weepers.

Top Bottom