What's new

Things besides shaving that you do in an "old school" manner?

I write with a fountain pen and have trained my dog to bring me my slippers. I am trying to train my wife to always refer to me as "Mr. Roman" to her friends. But she is proving more difficult to train than the dog was.

Rather than drive, I ride the rails from town to town, much like the hobos of old.

Seriously, if I could take the train to work, I would.

I don't own a TV.

I don't go "to the gym" to work out. I own a barbell, squat rack, and some rings, which is enough to give me an old-school workout.

Whenever something breaks at home, I fix it. Same goes for remodeling. I recently taught myself to tile and hang/finish sheetrock.

I write everything using a #2 pencil (easy to do if you are a teacher).

- Carry a handkerchief (sometimes)
- Read a book a week (or try to)
- Use pomade in my hair, not gel
- Grind my coffee fresh every morning, use a French press to brew it
- Play the harmonica
- Practice good "flaskmanship" whenever appropriate
- Drink beer (when prompted) from a proper glass
- Wear a watch that needs to be wound

I don't know if refraining from using "How's it going?" as a greeting counts. I don't think its appropriate as a simple greeting, most especially when it isn't followed by an inquiry into just exactly how one is doing...

Some of the things you guy name are so normal to me, I don't even consider them Old School.

Here, at least in college, everyone holds the door the the people behind them.

Drink less, but better (coffee, tea, beer, scotch) seems to me more mature than Old School.

I agree with otherstar, tube amps sound way better. When my last amp died, I had to find a replacement fast, it's a Fender, sounds great but no tubes. I wish I had a few more hundred bucks to get a lamp one, probably a Marshall head.

C
Use my car's turn signals before making a turn. Even in a parking lot.
The yellow light on a street light means caution, light is changing. NOT speed up.

YOU (we) sir! Are a dying breed. Good on you. I spend a good part of my day trying to figure out why someone would pay an exorbitant amount of money for a luxury car that doesn't come with turn signals.

That's it right, because I'll be damned if anyone here in the greater Phoenix area driving a Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Infinity, Acura, Audi (I own an Audi and I know for a FACT the turn signals work.) etc use their turn signals, or even have the slightest idea on proper merging etiquette.

(1) Wear "TV Fold" white cotton handkerchief with solid colored suit, solid colored shirt and solid colored tie

(2) Watch episodes of The Prisoner on amctv.com

(3) Wear proper pajamas from Derek Rose with leather slippers (to make my girlfriend laugh once, I sported the TV Fold with the pajamas)

I generally like the culture, art, architecture and design from the cool 1960s (as opposed to the late, hippie 1960s). After slobbing around the house for many years in sweats and a t-shirt during the weekends and at nights, I recently purchased a couple of pairs of good pajamas. Now, I look forward to putting them on and lounging around ... highly recommended.

YOU (we) sir! Are a dying breed. Good on you. I spend a good part of my day trying to figure out why someone would pay an exorbitant amount of money for a luxury car that doesn't come with turn signals.

That's it right, because I'll be damned if anyone here in the greater Phoenix area driving a Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Infinity, Acura, Audi (I own an Audi and I know for a FACT the turn signals work.) etc use their turn signals, or even have the slightest idea on proper merging etiquette.

We have the same problem in Minneapolis/St. Paul. I guess if you drive a Mercedes, etc., you are too important to use your turn signal and certainly don't need to let anyone else know what you are about to do.

I always use my turn signal when turning and even when changing lanes.

As for old school things, years ago, before I met TWGW, I used to throw steel tip darts. Played in a league, tournaments, and socially. I've actually chalked games using real chalk on a board.

Also, when my doctor allows, I decant port. The last time, I used tongs on the bottle rather than a corkscrew.

Collect and use fountain pens, and write a letter by hand to someone every day.

Open the car door for my wife.

French-cuff shirts

(used to smoke a pipe, still have a really great and valuable collectionl.)

wear hats, varied style, though fur felt is out.

keep a journal, write in it most days

my current car is automatic, but until 2001 I drove only stick shift

coffee is french press, (except when I'm making espresso.) select my coffees with great care and grind fresh for each pot.

Excellent collection of whole leaf teas. (tea bags are pure dreck!)

Islay Scotch, (though I always keep a bottle of Talisker around.)

Admire Farrell Stephens--he's a true gentleman!

I carve all correspondence on a stone tablet and have it delivered by horse and cart.

I only eat or wear what I have killed.

If anyone insults me, I duel them.

I believe the sun revolves around the earth.

Women should stay at home in the kitchen.

I shave with a sharp rock.

I live in a cave.

When I see a woman I like, I raid her village and take her away on horseback. If that doesn't work I'll offer two chickens and a pig for her.

There, I'm more traditional than all the rest of you combined. :cool:

I carve all correspondence on a stone tablet and have it delivered by horse and cart.

I only eat or wear what I have killed.

If anyone insults me, I duel them.

I believe the sun revolves around the earth.

Women should stay at home in the kitchen.

I shave with a sharp rock.

I live in a cave.

When I see a woman I like, I raid her village and take her away on horseback. If that doesn't work I'll offer two chickens and a pig for her.

There, I'm more traditional than all the rest of you combined. :cool:

Gee.

You sound just like my Cousin, Ed.

I didn't think he was a member here...

Wear a "wet look" hair do

Collect and wear cuff links

Smoke a pipe

Utilize my local library

+1 on these for me as well. I also like getting dressed up, even into my tux, if I take my wife out.

Freemasonry, and civic organizations in general, seem to be having a rebirth of sorts in that I am a member of a younger generation that is joining or following after a parent's legacy. In my lodges in both PA and VA there are a large number of World War II vets and then the younger crowd of 20's-30's that I am part of.

I wear glasses. Given the prevalence of contact lenses and LASIK, that is becoming more old fashioned each day.

I also wear a self-winding wristwatch.

Oh--and I try to shave daily, even on Saturdays. :biggrin:

I try to not end sentences with a preposition.

When possible, I don't split verb clauses.

I don't needlessly insert "so" or "totally" before a verb.

I use "lend" as a verb and "loan" as a noun.

I use "regardless" rather than "irregardless".

I recognize that "data" and "media" are plural and use the plural verb forms with them.

I use past tense rather than present tense to describe events that have already occurred.

In letters and emails, I use entire words rather than text abbreviations.

I use my cell phone for calls. No texting, email, or MP3s.

- I wear a watch
- Wear cuff links whenever possible
- Read the newspaper
- Listen to classic Jazz, Dixieland etc. (Billy Holliday, Jelly Roll Morton, Bix Beiderbecke, Cab Calloway, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller, King Oliver's Jazz Band, Benny Goodman, Freddy Keppard, Fletcher Henderson, Ivie Anderson etc)
- Also developped a liking for Bossa Nova these days (Astrud Gilberto, Atonio Carlos Jobim, Stan Getz etc.
- I listen to opera and classical music
- I hold open doors for others
- In the train (or bus for that matter) I offer my seat to elderly people
- Make tea out of whole leafs
- I wear ties when possible
- I can do up a bow-tie
- I (try to) use proper grammar and sentences in every language I speak
- Prefer reading over watching television
- Reading my Agatha Christie's :lol:
- Prepare my own lunch, instead of buying it
- I know standard Ballroom and Latin dances

If I can find any others I will add them :lol:
Apart from that, I use a lot of modern technology every day because it's hard not to (I need to for university etc)

Last edited:
Use handkerchiefs

Write with fountain pens

I also enjoy wearing french cuffs with cufflinks

Polishing my own shoes

Listening to and collecting 78s, 45s and LPs.

I learned to swing dance for my best friends' wedding

I normally wear a flat-top or similar 50s-era hairstyle

If I had my choice, and money was no object, I'd gladly drive a 1930s to 1950s car everyday

I know how to properly wear a baseball hat, as well as driving caps, fedora's, ect.

I know how to tie a bowtie and do so whenever I can

I wear driving gloves and drive a car with a manual transmission

I know how to drive a three speed column shift

I have a great appreciation for vintage aircraft

Great question to ask:001_smile

Top Bottom