What's new

Things besides shaving that you do in an "old school" manner?

I play guitar and I don't own an amp that doesn't have at least one vacuum tube! (yes, tubes!)

I use a handkerchief.

I asked my in-laws permission before I proposed.

I work on my own car when I can, I do my own plumbing and other home repairs when I can.

I'm an amateur radio operator and I even use Morse code once in awhile.

There are others, but most of mine are done by others on here and I didn't want to duplicate.

drive a stick shift
use a fountain pen
I have kept a journal since I was 17 (I am 52)
I use a wooden bat and wear no batting gloves at the cages

Say hello/offer a greeting when passing someone.

Write letters by hand with an oblique dip pen and vintage ink.

Drive a manual transmission.

Treat others with dignity and respect.

Using gentlemanly behavior, courtesy, and genuine kindness is something I wish I saw more of in public.

I shine my shoes with polish from a tin, brushes, and a cloth.

I drink single malt scotch neat, not with mixers.

I smoke pipes.

I wear a hat on a daily basis.

I take my hat off indoors.

When I carry an umbrella, it's full sized, not collapsable/compact.

I wear wool coats. I don't care for thinsulate or nylon or other synthetics.

I find it interesting items listed as "old school" :confused:

a) carrying of handkerchiefs
b) driving manual transmissions
c) wearing cuff links

Either I just know a lot of people who are "old school", or these are really pretty common modern day occurences.

I like to think of myself as a modern evolution of the "Southern gentleman." I greatly enjoy many of the trappings of yester-year, and I use some of them even when there are more convenient or trendy options available. Among my nostalgic habits are:

Shaving with a brush and mug, before I started keeping a beard (and hopefully, once again soon). This may be a given, considering the nature of this forum.

Smoking a pipe (occasionally)

Brewing full-leaf tea in a teapot

Using a fountain pen with a converter and ink from a bottle. Sometimes, I use a steel nib and dip the pen.

Carrying a pocketknife at all times (usually two), almost always with a razor edge I honed myself.

Addressing people as "sir" or "ma'am" unless otherwise directed, or clearly among casual peers.

Attempting to use proper grammar even in casual conversation and choosing (as far as possible) exactly the words I mean to say, even if they aren't commonly used, unless doing so would insult or put off the present company.

Carrying a handkerchief or two, keeping a new, clean one in the event that someone else needs it.

Holding doors for both men and women, but especially for my female friends and my fiancee.

Keeping a nearly razor-sharp edge on all of the knives in my kitchen and using a honing steel to ensure that they retain their edges.

Wearing a hat (though I have yet to find a "perfect" style).

Playing the guitar and the violin, as well as dabbling in several other instruments. My electric guitar is a 1953 Fender Musicmaster, with the original pickup, tuning pegs, and faceplate.

Preferring backgammon, pente, go, and chess, or the card games 500, spades, and bridge to most video games.

Preferring the comfort of a book to the loud blaring of the television almost every time.

Writing thank you notes and letters on fine stationery.

Composing poetry for my fiancee when the occasion merits it.

Using a french press to make coffee when I have the chance.

Enjoying good single-malt Scotch whiskey (preferably Highland or Islay) neat, or with a tiny splash of water to "open it up."

Driving a standard transmission car.

Wearing an analog wristwatch without inset dials, digital anything, or any additional "settings" except a small window for the day of the month.

Hunting for food and pleasure, though never taking an animal I won't eat.

Camping and hiking when I have the chance, absolutely confident that I can start a fire even if my matches get wet and I lose my lighter. (I used to be a Boy Scout and once won a competition building and setting a fire by friction).

Belonging to and maintaining an active membership in my local Lodge of Freemasons (Milford, #117 in Baton Rouge, LA). I am currently serving a term as the Master of Ceremonies.

My few concessions to modern life and technology are as follows:

I greatly enjoy a select few video games, though I can only enjoy them when I visit my friends, since I own neither a television nor a gaming console.

I own a Sony e-book reader, since it allows me to hold a library in a device that is smaller than a trade paperback.

I have an HTC smartphone that doubles as a PDA, since I am about to be starting clinical rounds and will need a device to use for several quick-reference programs that are commonly used on the wards.

I enjoy playing around with Linux-based operating systems, since I really don't like M$ and refuse to deal with Apple's rigid capabilities. I'm currently working on getting a version of PC Linux OS 2007 to work with my wireless card.

I have an extensive digital collection of music from almost every genre on my hard drives (over 15 GB) and enjoy adding more to it any chance I get.

I use a fountain pen, with a converter and bottle ink.

Shine my own shoes with a cloth, polish, and brush.

Brew full leaf teas in a teapot.

I use a hand cranked coffee grinder.

Hold the door open for everyone, especially elders.

I say yes/no mam and yes/no sir to nearly everyone.

...Preferring backgammon, pente,
since I own neither a television nor a gaming console.

Backgammon and Pente! Loved both games. A good friend of mine and I used to play weekly (not weakly :smile:). He gave me the Pente game sometime back in the early '80s. Neither of us had heard of the game before, but we grew to love it. Unfortunately he passed away. I sure miss him and our gaming sessions.

No TV, now that's "old school". :wink: I don't own a gaming console currently, but I did have an Atari years ago. My friend and I would spend hours on end playing Space Invaders. Later when our kids were young they had a Sega. I'll admit to wasting time playing Sonic: The Hedgehog. :001_smile

Shine my own shoes.
Sharpen my own knives.
Carry a knife nearly every day. I worked in a Federal building for a couple of years and could not carry a pocket knife then.
I wear a mechanical watch.
I can drive a manual transmission but don't currently own a vehicle with one.
Sometimes I use my French press for coffee, and now is one of those times:001_smile

I do use a food processor and a hand blender.

I suppose I kind of see myself as one-third old-fashioned gentleman (I enjoy wines, brandies, whiskies as sipping instead of shooting), one-third old-fashioned working class tough, and one-third thoroughly modern. I can't live without many of my modern conveniences, but I also quite enjoy things like newsprint, my straight razors, and reading books on boxing, wrestling, and sword combat from at least one hundred years ago.

I have above me on my bookshelf a re-print of Martine's Handbook of Etiquette, from 1866. I've yet to make it through the whole thing, and much of Victorian etiquette is outdated (calling cards, and the whole system of 'calling' in general), but I do try and keep as much of it alive as I can.

Oh yes! I wear a hand-wind pocketwatch (it stopped running for a bit the other day and I became quite worried, but it has started running again thankfully); I carry at least one, and sometimes up to 4 knives on my person at any given time; I own a mechanical typewriter, though it has not been used in several years; I photograph on film of various sizes and own at least four cameras that are older than me, and develop my film myself whenever possible.

Last edited:
Backgammon and Pente! Loved both games. A good friend of mine and I used to play weekly (not weakly :smile:). He gave me the Pente game sometime back in the early '80s. Neither of us had heard of the game before, but we grew to love it. Unfortunately he passed away. I sure miss him and our gaming sessions.

No TV, now that's "old school". :wink: I don't own a gaming console currently, but I did have an Atari years ago. My friend and I would spend hours on end playing Space Invaders. Later when our kids were young they had a Sega. I'll admit to wasting time playing Sonic: The Hedgehog. :001_smile

It's really great to see that someone else knows anything about Pente. They took it off the market for several years, and the company that has picked up its manufacture again makes an inferior product to the wonderful sets that were made before.

I don't own a TV, but I do keep up with one show: Heroes. I love it. I just refuse to watch commercials. They make me die a little inside. So, I download them onto my computer and watch them that way... on my time, and on my terms. (there *is* a television in my house, since Jen and I have a roomie that she goes to vet school with... we just don't use it much.)

The last gaming console I owned was an original SNES, but my brother John has an X-Box 360 that he loves. I have to admit, I greatly enjoy playing some of the fighting games that he has for it, and I have passed many enjoyable hours at his house. One of the reasons I refuse to buy either TV or gaming consoles is that i know that i will waste too much time using them if I have them on hand. This way, I have to make a conscious decision to spend time doing that... and it involves spending time with my brother (or other friends who also have console systems).

I have fond memories of the Atari my stepmother had when we were kids... the games required a lot more dexterity and imagination then.

I am 24 and I do alot of things "old school"

I carry a pocket knife and sharpen it myself.
I keep fine cutlery at home, use it daily and maintain it myself.
I use cast iron cookware exclusively but have other cookware for other needs.
I brew loose leaf tea in a kysu.
I keep a pen on me at all times, its either a roller ball or a fountain pen.
I wear a wrist watch thats analog. In fact mine runs on solar power its a eco drive from Citizen, not exactly old school but I can't stand digital clocks.
I write letters with a pen and write in cursive.

I do use alot of modern technology, I am sure everyone does but its nice to use things from days gone by. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I cook with lump charcoal
I use my turn signals, before every turn/lane change
I fix things whenever possible. I like to work with my hands
I always hold a door open for whomever is behind me. If someone does it for me I always say Thank You.
I work in a company of 65,000 employees who are all connected via instant messenger. Whenver possible I prefer to talk with them in person or on the phone. IM/Email doens't replace the need for conversation it augments it.
I dress formally to meet with clients.
I drive a manual shift car and "coast" in neutral quite often - just like dad did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom