What's new

Things besides shaving that you do in an "old school" manner?

Open doors for females
Drive a manual transmission car
Carry a pocket knife
Carry a pistol
Always have a cross pen in my pocket that I use throughout the day
Listen to classic jazz and classical music
Watch alot of old movies and tv shows

Besides Shaving like a gentleman,

Things that happen on a ship or a yacht are done in a certain manner, I constantly have to pester my crew about the correct ways to do things, a short cut is never an option!

I'm into fountain pens, too, in a big way. I also wear a mechanical watch most of the time.

I swear I didn't mean to get into all the "vintage stuff", but sometimes the old ways really are better.

Let’s see…

• Smoke a pipe
  • Always carry a slip-joint knife, a handkerchief, and a pen
  • Do most of my car/home repair
  • Use a manual (reel) mower (and manual tools in general when I can)
  • Compost / garden / can / dehydrate
  • Fish with classic baitcasters
  • Raise my own bait
  • Hunt with rifles I in-part crafted – with ammunition I loaded (and bullets I probably casted)
  • Attempt to carve, chop, joint, and whittle… Cut, weld, and/or “rig” most any wood or metal object I need from scrap and stuff others consider “junk”
  • Sharpen my own knives (and make a number of them)
  • Sir / Ma’am for most everyone
  • Be responsible for my actions/inactions
  • Obey traffic laws
  • As courteous to others on the road as I would be I had met them on the sidewalk
  • Wear a watch – usually an automatic or manual
  • Believe in good grammar / spelling
  • Shine my shoes (and my wife’s boots)
  • Prefer my scotch neat
  • Never wear a hat indoors
  • Prefer natural materials (wool/leather/cotton) to synthetics – even for wet-weather gear (and I camp/hunt/fish year-round in WI)
  • Prefer a manual transmission (though current vehicle is not so equipped)

I do wish I wrote more / kept a regular journal like I used to. I have a neglected leather-bound tome that calls to me, but I don’t listen. That is something I’d like to work on. I do write my kids letters – that I store away for now (They are both still under 5).

I neglected to mention that I, too, carry a pistol when I'm not working. I also often carry it openly, as was common throughout the US until scant decades ago. It is not legal in all states, so exercise caution if you decide you want to "kick it old-school" in this arena. (I also prefer revolvers to autoloaders.)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
make ammo & caps and hunt with flintlock rifle.

Maintain and hunt with black powder rifle.

Hunt with compound & recurve bow.

Can still consistently & accurately make 300 yard shots with iron sights & rifled ammunition.

Hunt, gut, skin, debone & butcher my own game.

Built log cabin with hand ax and hand saw.

Still fish with bamboo cane pole.

Bow fishing

Spear fishing.

Hand milk a cow

Churn butter

Churn ice cream

Grow own vegetables.

Collect, maintain & use many different types of firearms.

Killed and plucked a few chickens.

I make long bows and other wood crafts using mostly hand tools, including a draw knife. (I find most people today do not even know what a draw knife is).

I carry a pocket knife.

I respect old traditions like no hats in doors and opening doors for ladies, respect elders, etc.

I dislike text language and seldom use it in my writings, even IN A TEXT MESSAGE.

I attend church services every Sunday, live in a traditional household (no divorce, mixed anything, whatever variations exist today...)

I would rather read than watch T.V.

I know what is in the U.S. Constitution.

Now that I think about it, I could go on and on listing things that I do and think that are now 'vintage' that, to me should just be the norm and not the exception. :glare:

-Prof

Besides shaving I:

Live in a cave
Decorate my own walls with personal drawings
hunt with a stick I sharpened by myself
Created my own language
forage for my own veggies, nuts, berries.
Make my own loin cloths
Do my own stone work. Currently working on a big round thing.

Use a Remington Wingmaster 12ga for shooting sporting clays. I'm much better with my Over/Under, but the Wingmaster is s lot of fun.

Top Bottom