What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Here is my Rubberset 400 after receiving it in the mail this afternoon. I was hoping to save the original knot, and at this point, I think that I will be able to do so. It's still in very good shape other than a small amount of soap residue and a musty smell from years of disuse. I've scrubbed it with Dawn dish soap and very hot water, and have slathered it profusely with hand sanitizer and then repeated with the detergent and hot water. Tonight I will coat it through and through with hair conditioner and let it sit overnight, then wash it once again in the morning with a gentle shampoo. All of the scrubbing, cleaning, and flexing of the bristles I've done, and I've only lost one or two hairs, so I think I'm good with the original knot. No sanding or O rings for this old boy either, I'm going to keep it nice and original. I will polish the aluminum very nicely with some Mother's polish.
She looks really good! Congrats. I haven't found one with nice hair yet!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

We are getting there. Probably 1 more sand and she will be good.
proxy.php

What do you do when it's raining out? WHY, YOU RESTORE RUBBERSET 400S, THATS WHAT YOU DO!!!

My first number 4. Still have 1 more polish to get it to fantastic. Here it is next to my second number 3.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Adam I see they are breeding :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2: That's how mine started out i keep seeing them and want more but have way to many brushes as it is....

Very nice Sir!!!
3 Beautiful Rubberset 400's are you going to restore them or leave as is.
I use the #3 as is, actually used it for my last shave. Will probably use the #4 as is as well. I'll have to look at the no-number brush a little more closely to see if I want to replace with another boar know. All I plan to do with the handles is polish them up a bit, clean out edges and lettering on bottom, but I like the patina and don't want to totally remove it.

I use the #3 as is, actually used it for my last shave. Will probably use the #4 as is as well. I'll have to look at the no-number brush a little more closely to see if I want to replace with another boar know. All I plan to do with the handles is polish them up a bit, clean out edges and lettering on bottom, but I like the patina and don't want to totally remove it.

I can understand that in keeping them as is, if you do decide to change the knot on the no number. They are 24mm I have 5 Rubberset 400's, from left to right the first is original boar not shedding at all and soft, the 2nd is a reknot in Boar, 3rd is a Synthetic, 4th is a HMW silvertip, and the 5th is a horse hair transplanted from a Vie-Long brush. So you have options that's if you do.....

20190221_141548.jpg

KeenDogg

Adam I see they are breeding :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2: That's how mine started out i keep seeing them and want more but have way to many brushes as it is....
I know, Ian! I'm out of room til I build another shelf! Hows things across the pond, my friend?

I can understand that in keeping them as is, if you do decide to change the knot on the no number. They are 24mm I have 5 Rubberset 400's, from left to right the first is original boar not shedding at all and soft, the 2nd is a reknot in Boar, 3rd is a Synthetic, 4th is a HMW silvertip, and the 5th is a horse hair transplanted from a Vie-Long brush. So you have options that's if you do.....

View attachment 1021424
Thanks Ian, I see the options. Let me ask what I hope isn't a stupid question. I've seen some 400's with rings like the red one you have on your 5. Did these originally come with a ring at the bottom of the ferrule? The only pictures I've seen of these "new" are b&w pics which don't really show it there or not there. I've seen recent pics that I assume are current owners adding an "O" ring. So, were these "O" rings originally on these brushes or on only for certain years or are they just a new "upgrade"? What size "O" ring? It looks nice.

Thanks Ian, I see the options. Let me ask what I hope isn't a stupid question. I've seen some 400's with rings like the red one you have on your 5. Did these originally come with a ring at the bottom of the ferrule? The only pictures I've seen of these "new" are b&w pics which don't really show it there or not there. I've seen recent pics that I assume are current owners adding an "O" ring. So, were these "O" rings originally on these brushes or on only for certain years or are they just a new "upgrade"? What size "O" ring? It looks nice.

The O-rings are added they was not on the original you can get the rings from steel navel but I got mine from the bay as we dont have steel navel over here the size is 50mm id and 3mm thick I bought a bag of 10

I know, Ian! I'm out of room til I build another shelf! Hows things across the pond, my friend?

Going good this side of that big ole pond :001_tt2: :001_tt2: mate, and hows it going at your end all good I hope. As for the Shelf I know that feeling as I have got the same to do to my brush cupboard, at over 100 brushes are in it now so 1 more shelf will be good...

KeenDogg

Going good this side of that big ole pond :001_tt2: :001_tt2: mate, and hows it going at your end all good I hope. As for the Shelf I know that feeling as I have got the same to do to my brush cupboard, at over 100 brushes are in it now so 1 more shelf will be good...
I am good! So busy! Sounds like you ought to just get another cupboard!

Because I only have one handle?
Why would you consider one knot type over the other? Do you favor badger or boar?
For example, a traditional boar knot paints lather really well, while a boar knot splays and scrubs during application. Different knots and handles have different strengths.

image.jpg

(L to R) 2018 Rudy Vey Jade & Horn 25mm 3-band, C•Mon 77-3 24mm Maggard Razors Beige, Dubl Duck No. 3, Hess Deluxe 5 w/ 26mm Maggard Razor 70/30 Badger/Boar, Vie Long Blanco American Barber 04513(21mm), Semogue 830.

Top Bottom