What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

You can buy a new rod from Phoenix Artisan Accountrements, I think that they are compatible.

I can check it for sure, if you want.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I just looked on PAA and didn’t see anything there ? If you can find one let me know please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I got sucked in by the magnetic characteristics of the 400.
IMG_6755.jpg

If feels like it has a porcelain finish on it! I don't think I can bring myself to risk that surface. It still has the sharp points on the edges, which I place a great deal of value in. Now I just wonder how long it will take to clean the bristles and treat them for possible use.
This one is not a 3 or a 4, so how can I identify the date or period of it's production?
This made it's way home too:
IMG_6811.jpg
IMG_6812.jpg

I've not found a little Gillette Brush like this before. I'm inclined to believe it is a Rubberset even though it fail to have the typical branding on the bottom of the handle. But then again, another handle without a knot has a different handle as well:
IMG_6813.jpg

You can buy a new rod from Phoenix Artisan Accountrements, I think that they are compatible.

I can check it for sure, if you want.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I just emailed PAA and they told me they have no more ferrules left and they’re not sure if they’ll be making any more ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 3 different Rubberset 400’s # 3, # 4 and un numbered which seem to be more rare than than the 3 and 4.
Mine is unnumbered and eventually I was able to unscrew the ferrule and the handle. It was relatively clean and without corrosion. I washed it with Dawn and "polished" it dry with a microfiber rag. I also used an o-ring from my Remington 1100 stash until I decide what I want on a more permanent choice.
IMG_6814.jpg
IMG_6815.jpg
IMG_6816.jpg
IMG_6817.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
David, that is a beauty in fine shape. If it were me, I'd drill out the old knot and put in a Maggards SHD, or a brand new boar. I understand that you may not want to shine it up, but they sure do end up nice when polished. I kept one in its found state for a while and used the old brush too, but eventually gave in and made it like it was brand new.

I have thought about knot options. Beyond the typical options of Maggard and TGN, I have wondered about an Omega or even Semogue. The Omega would offer nice loft and replicate the original to some degree. I love the lush nature of the Semogue though. Even a good Vie-Long might be a sound idea. I do have on hand a 24mm and 26 mm TGN, along with a mixed knot from Maggard that I could easily pull from my Hess 4.
I'd love to find something like the original knot.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have thought about knot options. Beyond the typical options of Maggard and TGN, I have wondered about an Omega or even Semogue. The Omega would offer nice loft and replicate the original to some degree. I love the lush nature of the Semogue though. Even a good Vie-Long might be a sound idea. I do have on hand a 24mm and 26 mm TGN, along with a mixed knot from Maggard that I could easily pull from my Hess 4.
I'd love to find something like the original knot.
My 400 has an Omega 10066 in it and I enjoy it very much. I think it's fairly close to original except for the bulb shape.
proxy.php

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

That looks great! Did you steam it out?
Do you mean on the omega?

I cut the outside with a hacksaw in four places. I peeled those off and cut the black cup in four places. Then I used a small screwdriver and my fingers to get that off. Came out nice and clean. You could probably use a dremel with a cut off wheel as well. I covered the knot with a towel and my hand so I wouldnt damage it. This is a picture of it on the right next to a whipped dog I tried. I couldnt get it to stop shedding so I replaced it with the Omega and never looked back!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Do you mean on the omega?

I cut the outside with a hacksaw in four places. I peeled those off and cut the black cup in four places. Then I used a small screwdriver and my fingers to get that off. Came out nice and clean. You could probably use a dremel with a cut off wheel as well. I covered the knot with a towel and my hand so I wouldnt damage it. This is a picture of it on the right next to a whipped dog I tried. I couldnt get it to stop shedding so I replaced it with the Omega and never looked back!

proxy.php
The WD was shedding or the 400?

Rubberset 400.jpg

Guess I can join now. Looking at all these brushes and how beautiful they look gave me the bug. I'm gonna polish this guy up and probably replace the knot with an Omega.

KeenDogg

The WD was shedding or the 400?
Actually, both. The original knot shed. I took it out and then went through 2 whipped dogs that both shed. I think one of those was too big and I tried to force it in. The other was a shedder from the start.

KeenDogg

So, I found one in the wild today.....

This makes 3....

Someone scratched Nov 5, 1948 into it. Should come out. I found these other babies too.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Wow. Mine came apart easily but havn't tried to take the knot out yet. Ran some Mother's over my handle and decided I wont have to do any sanding.

Rubberset 400 - clean 2.png

Not a bad Sunday afternoon of work. Polished with white compound on soft buffing wheel then finished up with a couple goes with some Mother's Mag. The only thing I couldn't get to my liking was the bottom, but I'm not to upset about it. Threw some black enamel paint into the '3' so make it stand out. Then I knocked the knot out with a drill, wooden dowel, and a chisel without any real problems. Now I just need to get my new knot and get it set into place.

View attachment 984333

Not a bad Sunday afternoon of work. Polished with white compound on soft buffing wheel then finished up with a couple goes with some Mother's Mag. The only thing I couldn't get to my liking was the bottom, but I'm not to upset about it. Threw some black enamel paint into the '3' so make it stand out. Then I knocked the knot out with a drill, wooden dowel, and a chisel without any real problems. Now I just need to get my new knot and get it set into place.
That looks great!

KeenDogg

View attachment 984333

Looks good. I get bothered by the molding bubbles in mine so I sand the life out of them first! Haha.

Top Bottom