What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Just wondering is there a sharp edge that could be cutting them on the edge.
Unfortunately, they are coming out of the middle at random places. Some shaves, 1 hair. Other shaves, 5 hairs. Used it about 8 times and have lost over 30 hairs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Received this beauty today. It's a little smaller than I thought it might be - I have a Rubberset 200-4 that is a giant in comparison!

Any suggestions for just touching up the aluminum if I'm holding off on a full restoration?

upload_2019-2-12_15-13-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-12_15-13-25.png
    upload_2019-2-12_15-13-25.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Received this beauty today. It's a little smaller than I thought it might be - I have a Rubberset 200-4 that is a giant in comparison!

Any suggestions for just touching up the aluminum if I'm holding off on a full restoration?

View attachment 952257
That's in very nice shape! I would suggest Mothers polish and a toothbrush, then a wash with dawn and said toothbrush. You can wrap some plastic around the knot to keep the polish off of it.

Kind regards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Oh they sure do.
I have my 5th on route have the knot ready to go into it, when its sanded and polished then I will have the full set. Boar, Badger, synthetic, at the moment but the 5th one will be horse hair from a brush I bought new and the 4th one im going to keep it original as the knot is soft and not losing hairs.

Oh they sure do.
I have my 5th on route have the knot ready to go into it, when its sanded and polished then I will have the full set. Boar, Badger, synthetic, at the moment but the 5th one will be horse hair from a brush I bought new and the 4th one im going to keep it original as the knot is soft and not losing hairs.

Ow wow! I’ve not restored a brush before, so I’m soaking up info on what is needed, how to, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my 4 that I have done just waiting for the 5th
Left to right 1st original, 2nd Boar, 3rd synthetic, 4th Silvertip Badger

20190117_233922.jpg

I've had this for a while but recently discovered the club here. Please accept this application for membership. This 400 is unmarked with the original boar knot. When it arrived it was filthy and got soaked for a few hours in brewers wash then for a while in StarSan Sanitizer. It kept releasing whiskers from a previous owner who quite obviously did not take care of it. So, it got lathered and rinsed and rinsed... you get the idea. It is surprisingly soft but still has nice backbone. The picture below is right after a shave... and rinse.
15501801163788473906455652554440-jpg.952895

I've had this for a while but recently discovered the club here. Please accept this application for membership. This 400 is unmarked with the original boar knot. When it arrived it was filthy and got soaked for a few hours in brewers wash then for a while in StarSan Sanitizer. It kept releasing whiskers from a previous owner who quite obviously did not take care of it. So, it got lathered and rinsed and rinsed... you get the idea. It is surprisingly soft but still has nice backbone. The picture below is right after a shave... and rinse.
15501801163788473906455652554440-jpg.952895

I would say that counts to have the Rubberset 400 in your sig line, and a stunning brush for sure.....

@Ice-Man Thanks. They have a lyrical almost organic quality that really captures the eye but they are also very comfortable in use. I have two more in near original condition and struggle with the decision to polish or preserve. I was going to do the whole polish and knot replacement with this one, but it cleaned up well and is a great daily driver as it is.

I have seen the beauties you have prepared in this thread. Inspiring work.

@Ice-Man Thanks. They have a lyrical almost organic quality that really captures the eye but they are also very comfortable in use. I have two more in near original condition and struggle with the decision to polish or preserve. I was going to do the whole polish and knot replacement with this one, but it cleaned up well and is a great daily driver as it is.

I have seen the beauties you have prepared in this thread. Inspiring work.

Thank you Sir it is a labour of love for these brushes, and all we are doing is showing what every one can do to their own Rubberset 400's.

Last edited:
My new one arrived today at dinner time now I have a huge problem, this was the sellers photos
and how it arrived.

4.jpg

Now I thought it needed sanding and all that was on the brush was tarnish, so an hour with White Diamond metal polish and this is what I have now.

20190217_183901.jpg

That's without sanding just a plain old polish, I think it just the edge round the top cap that might have some dents but over all its in good shape.
Just need to remove the knot and place the donor knot in and it will be finished with a horse hair from a vie long brush....

Then it will be ready to join the line-up

Oh yes its now finished sporting new knot a 24mm horse hair knot, I just need to paint the No 4 in red and jobs done here she is just had the knot installed today....

20190221_140631.jpg
20190221_140817.jpg

Now she joins the lineup

20190221_141548.jpg

Top Bottom