What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That would be Riverside and San Bernardino counties, Jim.

The rising costs of affordable housing in Orange and Los Angeles counties has driven many of us SoCal denizens inland, and many of the cities that were once a mere blink of the eye as you passed them by, are now thriving communities.

We like to call it the IE.

~doug~

Makes perfect sense.

I have lots of in-law relatives in that general area, Orange county, and south of there, etc. Surprised I've not heard the term. When I do though...

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That would be Riverside and San Bernardino counties, Jim.

The rising costs of affordable housing in Orange and Los Angeles counties has driven many of us SoCal denizens inland, and many of the cities that were once a mere blink of the eye as you passed them by, are now thriving communities.

We like to call it the IE.

~doug~

Took the WhichyPoo and kids to Lucille's BBQ in Rancho Cucamonga this weekend and my daughter caught a picture of my, uh, footwear, as the maître d' walked by. :drool:
20220718_162204[1].jpg

Just another reason to love the IE.

~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Took the WhichyPoo and kids to Lucille's BBQ in Rancho Cucamonga this weekend and my daughter caught a picture of my, uh, footwear, as the maître d' walked by. :drool:
View attachment 1491273
Just another reason to love the IE.

~doug~

I have some in-laws right there in that town (or city). I've never been there as far as I know. I know Northern California a lot better than Southern California.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have some in-laws right there in that town (or city). I've never been there as far as I know. I know Northern California a lot better than Southern California.

Happy shaves,

Jim
We have some in-laws that live in Rancho Cucamonga also, it is a very nice community. You should come an visit sometime, Jim. We even have beaches! :cornut:

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
High Efficiency
SE SOTD

Razor:
Vector with GTB handle
Blade: Feather Proguard (2)
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
Soap: PdP63
ASL: Proraso
20220721_224416[1].jpg

I loaded the PdP63 heavy with a wet brush and the tub on it's side dripping in the lather bowl, aka known as the @Marco Method and a very nicely hydrated lather was to be had.

The Feather Proguard blade feels just as sharp as the Proline blade, but is definitely smoother.
As I'm getting more familiar with the Vector, I felt a need for a direct ATG first pass, mostly S-N on my neck, and nose to ear on my face.
I felt the blade, and pretty much each hair as it popped then became silent.
On the second pass I could once again feel the blade as I shaved N-S, further reducing the stubble even with the blade going silent on the ATG pass.
Because a third pass was completely unnecessary, and my neck was telling me not to chase the baby, I lathered up again anyway and added a third pass, starting from the base of my neck and slowly working my way up to my sideburns and did not miss a single hair.

The Witch hazel had some heat, followed with the Proraso burn/calming effect, and the Nivea balm comforting.

I think you can call it the Hot Rod Effect.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
High Efficiency
SE SOTD

Razor:
Vector with GTB handle
Blade: KAI Protouch MG (1)
Brush: Shavemac 26/52
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Layrite No9
20220723_230403[1].jpg

So I'm all lathered up and just as I press the razor to my face I hear my teenage daughter walking into the kitchen for a late night snack with her music blaring.

I let her know the volume wasn't appreciated, closed the doors to the laundry room/shave den, and feeling like Rodney Dangerfield, continued on with my shave. I get no respect, I tell ya.

No longer feeling the need for an ATG first pass, I started at my sideburns and shaved my face and neck N-S, the Kai Protouch MG blade providing about the same amount of blade feel as the Feather Proguard blade, easily reducing two days of stubble, and could have been "one-and-done", but there was a bowl full of lather and a second pass, S-N, this time ATG ensued.

The last pass was another N-S affair, the most comfortable pass of all, the razor seemingly having nothing left to cut, and an exceedingly smooth and close shave was had.

The Witch hazel went on with nary a tingle, the Layrite No9 as soothing as ever, and Nivea balm finishing up.

~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Maybe I should bring out my AC razors sometime before too long.

I remember them as being excellent shavers.

Teenagers sometimes turn into people later.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I actually know an almost 18 year old girl who is one of the most lovely people I know.

I've known her a couple of years and I also know her sister who is two years younger. Both are lovely people. I don't know if their parents are just way better than I was as a parent or they got the great genes or what.

My children varied as teenagers.

As long as they're not in the hospital or jail...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
High Efficiency
Wolfman SOTD

Razor:
WR2 0.95 with GTB handle
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Simpson PJ2
Soap: MdC Agrumes
ASL: the "Veg"
20220726_215634[1].jpg

For Shark Week I retrieved the Shark Super Stainless blade that I used last year in my Ti95 for Shark Week, and the shave was so good I left the blade in my WR2 0.95 for my next shave.

All three passes were smooth and comfortable, and the Shark drew no blood. My latest GTB handle which tips the scales at just a tenth over 25 grams, feels so natural that I don't notice it at all during the shave.

Now that we got WhichyPoo's car out of the body shop for the second time, and I'm not driving everybody all over Timbucktoo, I'll have some time to fire up the Sherline miniature lathe and make a few more handles.
IMG_5004[1].jpg
That and send WhichyPoo to driving school for a few lessons in driving through parking lots without running into poles.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Brass and/or Bronze!

The GT handles are 14mm in diameter and 75mm in length, weigh in at 15 grams, and are Cal's @Cal design.

The GTS handles specify either Special length (70-80mm) or Stainless Steel endpieces.
The GTB handles are all Brass and/or Bronze.
The GTC handles have Copper endpieces.
There is of course an all aluminum Super Lightweight Handle (less than 10 grams).

~doug~

The GT handles are 14mm in diameter and 75mm in length, weigh in at 15 grams, and are Cal's @Cal design.
Doug, as per my last GT handles... can we now revise the GT specification to:
  • 14.3mm diameter (upgrade)
  • (75mm length remains the same)
  • Weight varies depending on materials used. 15 grams is excellent, but 25 grams is the absolute maximum.
That tiny 0.3mm difference in diameter makes a HUGE difference (for the better). :cornut:

Brass and/or Bronze!

The GTS handles specify either Special length (70-80mm) or Stainless Steel endpieces.
The GTB handles are all Brass and/or Bronze.
The GTC handles have Copper endpieces.
There is of course an all aluminum Super Lightweight Handle (less than 10 grams).

~doug~
I just love that GTB handle! And the GTC is looker too! As seen in other threads.

Guido

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
High Efficiency Thursday
SOTD

Razor:
Lupo 95 with GTB handle
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (3)
Brush: 2022 Contributor's Brush
ASL: the "Veg"
20220728_201835[1].jpg

After finishing my shave last night I was hungry, so I had a piece of chocolate cake and watched Monster Mako Under the Rig.
Reportedly Mako sharks can hit 50mph in bursts of speed and jump 20 feet out of the water while weighing in at over 1000 pounds.

I also found out that the Shark Super Stainless blade that was so comfortable in my Wolfman wanted to bare its teeth in my Lupo 95.
There was no blood in the water, but this is not a combination I want to try again.

I almost aborted the shave after the first pass, but the 2022 Contributor's Brush was so comfortable and full of MdC that I pressed on for a second pass, and relathered, but made no attempt to chance a third pass.

The Witch hazel stung a bunch, the "Veg" burned, and Nivea balm did it's best to tame the savage beast.

I did wake up with my face feeling like dolphin shin, but my neck told me we were swimming with sharks and barely got out alive.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Middle Efficiency
SOTD

Razor:
Van Der Hagen
Blade: Van Der Hagen (1)
Brush: Omega Silvertip
ASL: Old Spice

The Van Der Hagen is one of the first razors I looked at when I was deciding to ditch my electric razor for good.
20220730_171420[1].jpg

Thinking it was just a generic Wal~Mart brand razor, I opted instead for the Vikings Blade Chieftain that came up on a Google search as the amazon favorite.

Two weeks with the Chieftain and the blades that came with it was enough for me to join B&B and upgrade to a RR DE1, a Feather Popular, a few tucks of Astra SP, Derby, Feather, Nacet, and GSB blades.

I have since upgraded my razor collection with some nice modern and vintage razors, a few more blades, but have always wondered if the VDH would have been a better choice as my first modern TTO razor.

After a surprisingly close and comfortable 3 pass shave with my new VDH razor, the answer is a resounding yes.

The Van Der Hagen is a razor that I would definitely take with me as a travel razor, knowing I can pick one up almost anywhere there is a Wal~Mart if a replacement is needed on the road.

The Witch hazel let me know this wasn't the most comfortable of shaves, the Old Spice let me know it was close, and the Nivea balm was needed and welcome.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
⬆︎ Interesting ⬆︎
The Van Der Hagen was more efficient than I had expected it to be on the first pass, but the efficiency definitely fell off on the second and third passes.
Feeling my face the next morning, the shave was not a close or long lasting as it felt right after the shave. Was it the blade that fell off, or the design of the razor? I shaved steep like usual on my first pass, but needed to ride the cap on subsequent passes before I felt the blade cutting.

Now the question is should I try the Van Der Hagen with one of my favorite blades and see if the comfort improves, or try the VDH blade in one of my Super Speed razors that the Van Der Hagen is compared with?

~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Van Der Hagen was more efficient than I had expected it to be on the first pass, but the efficiency definitely fell off on the second and third passes.
Feeling my face the next morning, the shave was not a close or long lasting as it felt right after the shave. Was it the blade that fell off, or the design of the razor? I shaved steep like usual on my first pass, but needed to ride the cap on subsequent passes before I felt the blade cutting.

Now the question is should I try the Van Der Hagen with one of my favorite blades and see if the comfort improves, or try the VDH blade in one of my Super Speed razors that the Van Der Hagen is compared with?

~doug~

You should just buy a Sailor.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

My vote is for a normally-enjoyed blade in the VDH TTO first and then a VDH blade in the Slim if it doesn’t mysteriously get stuffed in a blade blank for future disposal.

Top Bottom