Razor:
Gold Dollar 66
Razor: Van Der Hagen
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Shavemac 26/52
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Layrite No9
20220801_222947[1].jpg

With all the talk about Gold Dollar razors and @rbscebu holding an online class for beginner honers using The Method, I decided to pick up GD66 and get it shave-ready.

I learned to hone razors using The Method, it is inexpensive, and it works.:thumbup1:

Then I heard someone say Rabbit, Rabbit...
Rabbit_Hole.png
I used the usual suspects on my new GD66, a Dremel to trim the stabilizer, chosera 800/ chosera 2k/ norton 4k/8k/ lily white 8k/ naniwa 12k/ coticule/ trans ark/ pasted balsa.
Just the usual stones everyone has in their garage drawer to sharpen chisels and stuff, right?:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cleaned and stropped between each stone with Illinois 127 linen/leather strop. And yes, it passed an HHT after the 800 using the axe method I saw @alx gilmore use to set the bevel.

I only used the GD66 on my cheeks, as I'm still trimming my goatee, a WTG pass to get a feel for the the edge, and it definitely passed the shave test.

With almost nothing left on my cheeks to shave, I relathered for a nice two pass shave with the Van Der Hagen, with a Gillette Platinum blade instead of the VDH blade, and it made for a much more comfortable shave.

Not the closest shave in the world on my neck, but my cheeks feel like glass. All in all, both razors had a nice degree of comfort, with the GD66 taking the edge in efficiency.

The Witch hazel was comforting, the Layrite No9 was soothing as always, and the Nivea balm finished up a nice shave.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
WhichyPoo Interrupted Shave

Razor:
Gold Dollar 66
Razor: Mixed Metal Fatip
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Soap: SV 70th
ASL: PAA Bay Rum

20220805_194607[1].jpg

Yep, all lathered up, razor in hand, and the WhichyPoo starts making a bunch of noise in the kitchen.
She was in the living room watching her Chinese soap opera, and I was ready for a nice relaxing shave.
I had just picked up the Gold Dollar and was about three inches from my face when the banging started.
I walked out, said I don't want to cut myself, waited about 30 seconds for the noise to stop, rinsed off and put everything away without cutting one whisker.

The struggle is real, but there is an upside. The WhichyPoo absolutely hates the goatee. I love it, and it's staying.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Doug, like with Cal and Jim's journals, I read yours from start unto current. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your journey.

I esp. enjoyed reading about your lathe and the end results. Your handles are works of art.

For a newbie, reading the journeys of others.... years of experimentation, streamlines our own journeys. Less time and less money as well. I've learned so much from the three of you now. Thanks ever so much.

WhichyPoo Interrupted Shave

Razor:
Gold Dollar 66
Razor: Mixed Metal Fatip
ASL: PAA Bay Rum

View attachment 1500315
Yep, all lathered up, razor in hand, and the WhichyPoo starts making a bunch of noise in the kitchen.
She was in the living room watching her Chinese soap opera, and I was ready for a nice relaxing shave.
I had just picked up the Gold Dollar and was about three inches from my face when the banging started.
I walked out, said I don't want to cut myself, waited about 30 seconds for the noise to stop, rinsed off and put everything away without cutting one whisker.

The struggle is real, but there is an upside. The WhichyPoo absolutely hates the goatee. I love it, and it's staying.

~doug~
Your cap is still in excellent condition Doug. Mine has seen better days even though its only 5-6 months ago that I purchased it. My Flat Bottom is going on 75+ and the cap is still very nice. And I forget all that the minute the Fatip touches my skin and gives me a BBS in 2-3 passes.

Cheers,

Guido.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Doug, like with Cal and Jim's journals, I read yours from start unto current. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your journey.

I esp. enjoyed reading about your lathe and the end results. Your handles are works of art.

For a newbie, reading the journeys of others.... years of experimentation, streamlines our own journeys. Less time and less money as well. I've learned so much from the three of you now. Thanks ever so much.
Hi Kim,

When I first started this wet shaving journey, I had to be very frugal with my purchases. I also read Jim's and the journals of many others to help me navigate the many possibilities.

I've had razors PIF'd to me, and sent a few others on their way also.

The first time I looked a Maggards and saw they had over 900 different soaps, I was like, I really need some serious help here. And the good folks here at B&B were more than happy to assist. I'm still reading through journals from members that no longer post, as there is a lot of very good information there.

Just remember this
enablers.jpg

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Your cap is still in excellent condition Doug. Mine has seen better days even though its only 5-6 months ago that I purchased it. My Flat Bottom is going on 75+ and the cap is still very nice. And I forget all that the minute the Fatip touches my skin and gives me a BBS in 2-3 passes.

Cheers,

Guido.
That's because you can't see the side with all the chips. :hand: From what I have heard, pretty much all the Special Edition caps chip, but still shave like new. My SE is a long time favorite of mine, but I really love my Mk1's. The Schöne is no slouch either.

It is amazing how nice some of the vintage razors look after decades of abandonment. I have a pre-war tech I got for $6 and the cap is still pristine along with the baseplate. Only the handle shows any wear at all. That and it's a pretty good shaver too! :thumbsup:

~doug~

Hi Kim,

When I first started this wet shaving journey, I had to be very frugal with my purchases. I also read Jim's and the journals of many others to help me navigate the many possibilities.

I've had razors PIF'd to me, and sent a few others on their way also.

The first time I looked a Maggards and saw they had over 900 different soaps, I was like, I really need some serious help here. And the good folks here at B&B were more than happy to assist. I'm still reading through journals from members that no longer post, as there is a lot of very good information there.

Just remember this
View attachment 1500555

~doug~
And that’s why Hugh (Heffner) said “the only difference between man and boys is the price of their toys”. :laugh:

And Kim @Phoenixkh, these journals are how you turn decades into days by modelling others. You inspire me to read them too. Although don’t forget the Dutch saying the grass is already greener at the neighbours. Which is the equivalent off what I heard a New Yorker say that there’s always a bigger boat.

I want all the shiny objects. All Doug’s handles. A birth quarter razor. A Lambda Athena and Ares.
Doug here too had some amazing equipment (hence the signature!). I could get it all at once, but there is no fun in that (we Dutchies have a saying for that too, but it does not translate very well).

So instead I learn for all discussions with fine gents like you, Doug(s), Cal, David(s). One step at a time.

And regarding the Special Edition - great photography work Doug!

Cheers,

Guido

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Mixed Metal Saturday
SOTD

Razor:
Gold Dollar 66
Razor: Mixed Metal Fatip SE
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
20220805_194607[1].jpg

This is the same picture from yesterday, but this time I actually shaved.:thumbup1:

It has taken a while, but my Shavemac 26/52 is really starting to come around. Most of the scritch has turned into scrub and the backbone is very nice when splayed or painting.
Tonight's lather was almost to the point of splashing and dripping.

The GD66 effortlessly removed the stubble on my cheeks, but as I started to fumble trying to find a grip to shave my neck and not my goatee, I saw the SE out of the corner of my eye just sitting there, set the GD66 down, picked up the SE and finished the shave.

Using the SE reminded me of when I first started using it and the wonderful shave it delivered. It blew all the other razors I had tried into the weeds, and is still one of my favorite razors, always giving a comfortable close shave.

The Witch hazel did have some feedback, and the Classic Vanilla stung, the Nivea balm a soothing finish.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
MdC Monday
SOTD

Razor:
1947 Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: Van Der Hagen (2)
Brush: Omega Silvertip
Soap: MdC Agrumes
20220808_212527[1].jpg

Wonderful shave.

I tried the Van Der Hagen blade that I used with my Van Der Hagen razor to see how it would work in my FBT and was pleasantly surprised.

The blade was so smooth I could barely feel it as it reduced the stubble, almost silently. On the WTG pass there was almost no sound at all, on the ATG pass the audio was just above a whisper.

The Witch hazel had some feel to it, and the Classic Vanilla had a bit of burn to it, with the Nivea balm settling it all down.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You should just buy a Sailor.
The Sailor is a truly wonderful looking razor, and from what I have heard the Zero Dot setting is comparable to my WR2 0.95.
As I found the WR2 1.15 a bit too much for me, I doubt that I would ever need to use the Sailor on a setting any higher than Zero Dot. Not that I wouldn't try a setting higher than Zero Dot if I had a Sailor. I'm pretty happy with my Wolfie, but that doesn't mean I'm not still looking at other razors.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD

Razor:
J. A. Henckels
Brush: Simpson PJ2
Soap: Fine Classic Italian Citrus

Pay no attention to the gold items in the picture. The Executive and Accutron are just window dressing today.
20220813_200853[1].jpg

I was originally going to just use the Henckels on my cheeks and finish up the rest of the shave with my Executive.

But the edge on the Henckels felt buttery smooth on my cheeks, and seemingly reduced all of the stubble in one WTG pass.
Ok, so I used a bunch of short strokes going N-S, and a couple of goatee to ear swipes, and there was nothing left for another pass, so I decided to shave my neck with the straight also.

It turns out, I'm not nearly as prolific shaving my neck with a straight as I am with a DE, and I got too close to my goatee in a couple of places, got a tiny nick by my scar on under my left jawline, and didn't reduce nearly as much stubble as I did on my cheeks. Alum took care of the nick.

The Witch hazel went on like I hadn't shaved, ditto for the Classic Vanilla, I barely felt any sting or burn at all, and only used half as much Nivea balm as usual.

The shave may not have been very close on my neck, but it was on my cheeks, and it was irritation free.

It was a good shave.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD

Razor:
Martin Rubin
Razor: Executive #6
Blade: Van Der Hagen (4)
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
Soap: PdP 63
ASL: the "Veg"
20220814_210829[1].jpg

I only shaved my cheeks with the Martin Rubin, as I didn't get the PdP 63 hydrated enough at first and the razor was sticking to my face more than it was cutting.

I also bumped the setting from #5 to #6 during the shave, as I think the VDH blade is starting to lose it's edge.

That or the lather just wasn't slick enough.

The Witch hazel had less of a sting than expected, the "Veg" burned a bit as usual, with Nivea balm a soothing finish.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD

Razor:
Martin Rubin
Brush: Mistura
Soap: Mystery Bowl
ASL: the "Veg"

After the last shave with the Martin Ruben I gave it some time on my 6 x 2 coticule, stropped it and gave it another go.
20220816_204657[1].jpg

I had planned on just testing out the coticule edge on my cheeks and finishing the shave with my English FBT, but I never picked it up.

Not because the coticule edge was so comfortable and sharp, but because it inspired confidence. It was neither comfortable nor sharp.

I found I didn't need to keep the spine as close to my face, because the blade never felt like it wanted to bite. Instead of feeling like it was slicing the whiskers, it felt more like it was reducing them.

While shaving both of my cheeks and the right side of my neck was not much of a problem, I struggled quite a bit on the left side of my neck. After the first WTG pass, I lathered up and almost grabbed the FBT, but went at it again, for a second WTG pass with the Martin Ruben and done.

Not the most comfortable or closest of shaves, and the Witch hazel and the "Veg" let me know that I really needed the Nivea balm.

And to take the Martin Ruben back to the stones. I do have a smaller cot from Ardennes that might be all it needs to give it that "comfortable coticule edge". Or some time on the trans ark. Or try another razor.

On the plus side, the Mistura is really, really breaking in and was super duper comfortable during the shave. The most comfortable is has been. The best part of the shave.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SOTD

Razor:
J. A. Henckels
Razor: English FBT
Blade: Van Der Hagen (5)
Brush: Omega Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Layrite No9
20220818_011743[1].jpg

I wanted to try putting a coticule edge on my Henckels and although it didn't exactly feel like it was tugging, it wasn't slicing the whiskers either.
What it was doing was drawing blood, from hair follicle's, little red dots, and red lather on the sponge as I wiped it off. Both cheeks.
The edge didn't feel uncomfortable, and it certainly didn't feel like it was going to slice up my face, it just wasn't very sharp.

Not wanting to punish my neck, I put the Henckels down and picked up the FBT, gave the cheeks one more WTG pass, and one WTG pass on my neck. The Van Der Hagen blade (5) sure felt smooth after using the Henckels.

Put on the Witch hazel, which felt pretty nice, slapped on some Layrite without much complaint, and rubbed in the Nivea balm, for a 50/50 shave.

There is one thing I do like about a coticule edge, it leaves plenty of stubble for the next day. At least one of my coticule edges does.
I took the Henckels back to the arks after the shave, some diamond pasted balsa, and it should be nice and comfy again.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Got it, been really busy around the household the last few days. :ouch1:

~doug~
No problem... and no rush. Just wanted to make sure you saw it. I can't seem to figure out how to increase the visibility of my PMs at the top of my screen... I just have a little number up there if I have a new one. I often miss them. I do get an email.

Top Bottom