What's new

The tales of a one eyed man.

Today is the day I have decided to start journaling not only my shaving journey but also my daily life. In my opening post here on B&B I posted that I was diagnosed last year with heart failure and in September I had a Biventricular ICD implanted and that I had to give up all of my hobbies because they all revolved around nicotine and the only hobby I had left was fragrances and tattoos until I picked up this wonderful hobby. I now have a nice collection of razors and starting to figure out what soaps and blades that I like. It’s the blades that have made me decided to make to start this journal.

Today was the best shave I have had. Everything I used today I have used before. The razor, the soap loved them already. The brush was my first ever brush and I blamed it for lousy lather just like I blamed the blade for the lousy shaves. Ahh but it wasn’t the fault of the tools. A lousy craftsman always blames the tools. I have said that for years in my line of work, but it never pertained to me. I was always able to see that the fault was mine. But not in shaving, I mean come on how hard could it be it HAS to be the tools. Yeah, no it was all me. So now what brings me to why I am posting today. After i realized that it was all me, I wanted to get more of these blades, I read a lot of posts about them maybe going away, prices keep going up so I should buy some.

So I go on the hunt and I find them. I see the price, ok these are higher than I have seen people getting them for but way less than what I was about to pay for the blades that I have been getting good shaves with and since I did not pick up this hobby to save money I’m gonna buy them. 100 blades for 22.00 sign up for text messages get 10% off. Sure why not. Go to put in my cart.. WAIT!! Right above is the same blades but in 5 count tucks for 1.75. Quick math in my head says 10 boxes is only 17.50 and I get 10% off! Well heck let’s grab 20- 5 packs!! That will be 200 blades and I’m beating the system! Click them into the cart, pay and feel all proud of myself for getting this great deal. About an hour later when I am walking my huskies does it hit me. I can’t cancel the order but now I also can’t order from them ever again because they already know I’m a dumb*ss. This time the craftsman can blame the tool. So please enjoy the ride and remember keep your hand and feet in the car at all times.

Oh and as for the title of this Journal, I had brain cancer when I was 18 months old, went blind in my left eye, cancer came back when I was 7 and my eye was removed. I have been wearing an eye patch since I was 17.

This is me last May at my sons college graduation from FSC.

IMG_0272.jpeg

Sounds like this will a fascinating journal Brother @Russ622

I will be watching with interest!
Lol thank you. My life is one big nut house. 3 kids, 3 huskies, a Jersey Girl for a wife and I run a custom glass shop with 23 people that I manage. It will be fun!

But what blades were they?
ahhh yes I knew I was forgetting something Perma-Sharp. After realizing my mistake I bought another 100 off of Amazonia. The other blades I was talking about are the AccuForge, now I know I said I did not get into this to save money, but 77.00 for 250 blades is a little steep in my opinion but I will probably buy them anyway.

I too am 100% blind in my left eye since birth. In the mirror, my visibility of all my face angles on my left side is really good and so easier to shave.
Me too, no problem seeing my face in the mirror. Even though I was able to see out of both eyes when I was first born, I have no idea what it’s like to see out of two eyes. I am sure like me, you just adjusted your head naturally all of your life to be able to see on our left side. People have asked me over the years why I always tilt my head to the left… It’s so I can see over my nose and I am able to see more of what’s to the left of me than if I held my head straight.

Welcome, the patch adds a dash of...panache and all good pirates have tattoos. It should be an interesting ride. Plus congrats on your sons graduation and your considerable determination.
Cheers!
View attachment 1825072
Thank you. I guess this is as good a time as any to talk about my oldest son. He is now attending Carnegie Mellon to get his Masters in music. He was accepted into all three schools he tried out for, and to his mother’s dismay he chose the farthest one away. I am proud of him, he is truly an amazing Trumpet player but man it was a bumpy ride. I remember when I first heard him playing, I walked into my house 15 years ago and heard this awful sound, I asked my wife what it was and she said Casey is playing the trumpet, I said it sounds like he’s beating a horse! Well he definitely does not sound like that anymore and his little brother, my youngest is following in his footsteps. He’s been playing trumpet for the last 3 years and will be a freshman in high school this coming August and plans to be in the school band as well as the marching band. But back to Casey, he is an amazing kid, well young adult, he will be 24 this year. He supper smart without even trying, graduated FSC on the Deans list, was accepted as well to Duquesne University and The University of North Carolina School of the Arts. I am sure through this journal I will tell the tales of this one past and present but for now it’s time to go have some coffee.

Welcome to the journal section! You definitely had your share and still soldiering on. Respect! Looking forward to your shaves. Any details you can share on the gear too? Razors, brushes?

Cheers,

Guido

And welcome to B&B too by the way!!
Ok so where do I start. I guess from the beginning.
My first razor was a Viking Revolution my wife bought me for Christmas and going back to my original post, bad shaves were the razor not the user! I will try it again someday but I will never get rid of it because it’s the razor that got me started.
IMG_0293.jpeg

Then after that my next purchase was a blue Henson ++ and after I used it a few times I thought I’ll never need another razor. But that did not last long I went down the rabbit hole fast. Slims and Fatboys, Super Speeds and Super 84’s. Flare tips and spirals, Gold ones and white ones, then one single eye so why not single edge razors, so did the double S in a single purchase Schick and Solo edge. But wait, I love vintage adjustables but what about new? Let’s buy a Flexi I said, but that’s only one, so let’s buy a Gibbs replica too. Then after taking these pictures I said ya know I need a British Gillette and since I like to do things in twos I bought a Sheraton and Rocket.

Brushes I have not gone crazy with yet. I have 4 nothing special but I did buy a Rudy Vay in the group buy

IMG_0294.jpeg

IMG_0312.jpeg

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

Soaps are another story I think I find one I like and say ok I can just use this one, but alas no such luck. Now I am on the hunt for Bay Rum. I have the patchouli my favorite scent in Fragrances, I have the Gin and Tonic as that was my drink of choice before all of this heart stuff. I have the ode to New Jersey with the Catie’s Bubbles and more samples than I know what to do with.

IMG_0315.jpeg

And finally we get to the blades, the reason this all started.

It’s just an assortment of tucks and 100 RK that came with a purchase, some Shaving Revolution that came with Christmas razor and the black ones in the blade banks are AccuForge.

IMG_0317.jpeg

So there you have it, my Hardware and Software and how my mind buys things.

Top Bottom