What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Now you have me thinking Mike. I need to see if my New SC cap will fit my English Tech when I get home...

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
As far as I know, the proper SC cap will only fit the SC base.
That is what I thought too, but I had to check anyway. The "other cap" does fit my English Tech, the 'correct cap' does not. Both caps are .254mm thinner than the English Tech cap, so I might try shaving with the 'other cap' on my English Tech sometime.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thursday, January 21

Razor: Piccolo SE
Blade: Gillette Yellow(5)
Brush: Mistura
Soap: WK La Fougere Parfaite
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla

I haven't been counting how many times I've used the Mistura, somewhere between 10-20 shaves, but it is starting to grow on me as it breaks in. Today it loaded easily and painted a nice even first coat then hydrated a fine slightly runny lather.

With the SE in hand I started the shave at the base of my neck and buffed my way up to my chin, then shaved my face from my ears to my nose. I don't know why, it just seemed right at the time.
I spent a lot more time buffing the tough stubble under my left jaw at the back where no one can see, but I sure can feel it.
I should probably stop trying to get it as close as the right side, but where is the fun in that?

It has been just over a year since the incision to remove the mole behind my ear, and the 4" long tire tracks are getting easier to maneuver around, but the nerve endings are still up in a tizzy. I will sometimes be shaving my neck and the top of my ear starts tingling until I get past a certain area. There is plenty of feeling on the surface of my skin, but just below the surface there are numb spots and the hairs seem harder to cut there.

My last MRI with contrast came back last week, mostly clean and unremarkable, with most of my organs where they should be and no extra ones floating around.
Now I just need to schedule the hernia surgery and I will be ready to race. Yes. At a sanctioned race track of course! No illegal street racing for this kid.

My new open face helmet from RJS is supposed to get here tomorrow, and I just ordered a practice Christmas Tree from Portatree.com. I also have to fill out the paperwork to renew my Competition Driver's License and send that in to the NHRA along with $120. The helmet it to protect my lid, and race car drivers use practice trees keep sharp on the starting line. I need the Competition License if I plan on racing the Summit Series that starts in March.
RJS.jpgPortatreePocketLg.jpg
And guys driving their Chevy Volts at the race track can use them too :letterk1:

First race on the schedule is January 29th at Barona Drags in San Diego. I plan on running one of the Trophy Class races with my Volt, not sure which one yet, as I have never made a pass down the 1/8th mile track with it yet. My closest guess is an 8.75 second elapsed time. Don't pin me down on that as it has been 21 years since I last made a pass in a race car down the dragstrip. And I have only run the 1/4 mile length dragstrip, I hear things happen much quicker on the 1/8th mile.

Oh yeah, I just got done talking to the last guy that I raced, a guy named Woody, he is still racing the same car he has raced for the last 48 years, an early model Corvette he calls the Outlaw. I believe there are a few pictures of it on the website.
And Woody said he will be there waiting for me to show :kyle1:. I gotta start practicing my smackdown talk :a30:

The last pass was a slow smooth N-S from my sideburns to under my jawline, then from my jawline down.

While my New SC was only slightly better than the 'other New SC', my Piccolo SE seems only slightly better than my New SC.

Say that three times backwards.

The shave was a nice one, smooth and close, but was lacking somewhat in the comfort department. I think the Wholly Kaw is lacking something the Stirling has that my skin is happier with.

The Witch hazel tingled and the Clubman had it's distinctive burn followed by a slight cooling, the Nivea balm revealing the shave not as close as yesterday, possibly because of the ear to nose pass....

I have a Gillette Platinum waiting for the next shave, but I haven't decided on the soap yet. I'm keeping the rest of the kit the same.

20210121_174735[1].jpg

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I 'like' exposure

Your photos showed your better-shaving NEW SC as being closer to neutral. How was your even better Fatip Piccolo SE in comparison? Probably has more, but I’m trying to understand what would make it better. Clamped closer despite more exposure? Less gap? Confuzzled

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That is what I thought too, but I had to check anyway. The "other cap" does fit my English Tech, the 'correct cap' does not. Both caps are .254mm thinner than the English Tech cap, so I might try shaving with the 'other cap' on my English Tech sometime.

The other cap might be from a Tech. I think there are seven different caps that will fit the SC base. The SC cap has those squared corners that need to mate into the recesses cut into the SC base, no other Gillette Base has those reliefs. The SC cap also offers the most blade exposure of them all.

Probably has more, but I’m trying to understand what would make it better.

The #1 difference I've found is increased blade exposure. #2 is less gap.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Your photos showed your better-shaving NEW SC as being closer to neutral. How was your even better Fatip Piccolo SE in comparison? Probably has more, but I’m trying to understand what would make it better. Clamped closer despite more exposure? Less gap? Confuzzled
PiccoloSE.jpg

Piccolo SE
NewShortCombCap.jpg

New SC

It would appear to defy logic. They shave nearly identical. One click from #4 to #5 on my Slim has a more profound effect. And now that I think of it, my Slim on #4 is a more comfortable shave. I did not say more efficient. The Gillette Yellow felt dull in my Slim.

Let me quote the words of six-time NHRA Pro Stock Champion Warren Johnson aka: the Professor "I don't care what your dynamometer says, we race cars, not dynamometers."
What the Professor was trying to say was that no matter how much we pore over the pictures and graphs, no matter what the expectation is, until you place the rubber to the road or the blade to your face, you don't know what is going to happen.
20210122_075743[1].jpg

It would appear to defy logic. They shave nearly identical.
On the grounds of YMMV, I beg to differ.

Look at the pics again. Imagine the pics reduced to actual size. Then imagine them shaving your whiskers (with your skin at the same neutral angle as your green line).

Your skin is going to sink into that larger gap, giving it the same "blade exposure" with the New SC as the Piccolo.

"Just sayin'" as they say. :letterk1:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Look at the pics again. Imagine the pics reduced to actual size. Then imagine them shaving your whiskers (with your skin at the same neutral angle as your green line).

Your skin is going to sink into that larger gap, giving it the same "blade exposure" with the New SC as the Piccolo.
And I can guarantee my SE will feel like a completely different razor when I load it up with the Gillette Platinum. Speaking of "green lines" I decided to go with a "Green Theme" for my next shave...

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
His correct-cap SC has less exposure than his rando-cap SC, but shaves him with less bloodthirst. With his Piccolo doing better than both, I want to suspect gap as the arbiter in this conundrum of threesies.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Friday, January 22

Razor: Piccolo SE
Blade: Gillette Green(1)
Brush: Mistura
Soap: Proraso Green
ASL: Mennen Skin Bracer

I had the Gillette Platinum ready for today's shave, but when I decided to pair Proraso Green with Skin Bracer, I opened up a tuck of Gillette Green Super Stainless blades to try out.

I probably should have skipped shaving today, as I haven't been shaving consecutive days since I retired, and my neck was a little tender.

I went back to my usual 2 1/2 pass S-N neck><nose to ear><N-S sideburns to bottom of neck><S-N neck cleanup pass.

And paid for it.
The Witch hazel hinted to hold on, and the Skin Bracer hit me full blast with a ferocious burn that eventually cooled off before an application of Nivea balm to soothe my very smooth neck and BBS face.

It was a good shave, I liked the Gillette Green a lot, it felt smooth and sharp. The LOTH said I smelled nice.

20210122_184305[1].jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
PiccoloSE.jpg

Is that airspace between the red lines? If so, thats like my Brit clone Old Type but it has neutral to negative blade exposure.

Brit Clone.jpg

I can feel the edge moving as I shave with it but because of the minimal blade exposure its a very comfortable razor to use. If it had more blade exposure, it would not be.

The cap and base of my Grande mate together perfectly.

IMG_2203.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
View attachment 1212258

Is that airspace between the red lines? If so, thats like my Brit clone Old Type but it has neutral to negative blade exposure.

View attachment 1212259

I can feel the edge moving as I shave with it but because of the minimal blade exposure its a very comfortable razor to use. If it had more blade exposure, it would not be.

The cap and base of my Grande mate together perfectly.

View attachment 1212260
God catch, Mike. It appears I bumped the head, and it was not fully tightened.
PiccoloSE_.jpg

The air gap remains, as it does with my KBG Grande, but the blade appears to lie flatter.
KBGGrande.jpg

Does the cap actually mate perfectly, or does it appear to mate perfectly because of the focal point?
FoculCenter.jpg

Look how closely the cap mates with the baseplate in this center shot.
FoculSide.jpg

The only difference it where the camera center point was focused. That is why Optical Comparators that are specifically calibrated are used to measure parts instead of cheap USB cameras.
In order to try and make my pictures semi-reliable I have been using the crosshair grid lines to place the tip of the blade as close to the center as possible. All I did was to slide the vise holding the razor to the center.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
God catch, Mike. It appears I bumped the head, and it was not fully tightened.
View attachment 1212466
The air gap remains, as it does with my KBG Grande, but the blade appears to lie flatter.View attachment 1212467
Does the cap actually mate perfectly, or does it appear to mate perfectly because of the focal point?
View attachment 1212469
Look how closely the cap mates with the baseplate in this center shot.View attachment 1212468
The only difference it where the camera center point was focused. That is why Optical Comparators that are specifically calibrated are used to measure parts instead of cheap USB cameras.
In order to try and make my pictures semi-reliable I have been using the crosshair grid lines to place the tip of the blade as close to the center as possible. All I did was to slide the vise holding the razor to the center.

Its also difficult to tell because of reflections. If you want to try something Doug, you might lay a piece of tape on the inside half of each bearing surface of the cap.

Fatip. Each razor is an adventure!

• Haha
Reactions: Cal
Top Bottom