What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
What kind of knot's in ⬆ that ⬆ brush? It looks like it might be pure badger?

Happy shaves,

Jim
I believe it is a mixed badger, Jim. My brother that lives in Germany got it for me when he visited Italy a few years ago, and it was my first badger of any type.
A quick dunk for 30 seconds in the water mug is all it takes and it is ready to go, a real lather monster. It is a great knot, not much backbone, zero scritch, and the scrub is very gentle. It is nowhere near as soft as my silvertips, but is very enjoyable to use. I was pretty surprised to see all the bristles fall out yesterday, I think it has only lost 5 since I started using it.
I certainly hope this doesn't become a trend.

20210116_092837[1].jpg

I believe it is a mixed badger, Jim. My brother that lives in Germany got it for me when he visited Italy a few years ago, and it was my first badger of any type.
A quick dunk for 30 seconds in the water mug is all it takes and it is ready to go, a real lather monster. It is a great knot, not much backbone, zero scritch, and the scrub is very gentle. It is nowhere near as soft as my silvertips, but is very enjoyable to use. I was pretty surprised to see all the bristles fall out yesterday, I think it has only lost 5 since I started using it.
I certainly hope this doesn't become a trend.

View attachment 1209415
A quick dunk for 30 seconds in the water mug is all it takes and it is ready to go, a real lather monster.
Doug any natural animal hair IMHO requires a bare minimum of five minutes soaking time. I usually do ten. A fully hydrated brush will also perform better. Fully hydrated hair cannot take any more moisture in. The soap and lather is than held in the hairs for application. It can not be absorbed into the hair.

[QUOTE="Rosseforp, post: 11083606, member: 1249
I was pretty surprised to see all the bristles fall out yesterday, I think it has only lost 5 since I started using it.
[/QUOTE]
Short soak time was the first thought I had. Lets say the thirty second soak you used hydrated forty percent of the hair length. The sixty percent not hydrated is not as pliable as the top forty percent. The stiffer dryer hair is prone to snapping off and breaking. The hair at the plug exit a stress point being most vulnerable for breakage. Try a five plus minute soak time and see if you lose any hairs.
Synthetics do not require a soak because they do not absorb water. Their pliability is the same wet or dry. The pliability of your animal hairs is not the same wet or dry. Boar especially needs more soak time than badger or horse.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
John, my usual routine has been to soak my brushes in warm water, the water level about the halfway point up the bristles, since I started using badgers a little over a year ago. I was soaking my boars a little longer, but now I just change the water level in my water mug.
This particular Acca Kappa badger I usually only soak the bottom fourth, as it really soaks up a ton of water. I was soaking it up to the handle for 10 minutes when I first got it and couldn't build a lather with it at all. Then I found it worked much better with a shorter soak time.
Some of my brushes will lose one or two bristles when I use them, but this is the first time that one of them has lost a bunch of bristles at once. I was kinda surprised when I saw the first two sticking up when I grabbed it yesterday, as it really hasn't lost many bristles at all. I just gave it a quick sweep over my hand and 5 or 6 more popped up. Then it lost 5 or 6 more during the shave. It lost two more today just sitting on the sink drying, and I am hoping that will be it.

I'm thinking it might be a little upset because I have been giving my boars so much attention lately. :letterk2:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I wonder if the epoxy hasnt shrunk as it cured. You might be able to fix it with a thin two part epoxy and a syringe. JB Weld? LOL
I'm not sure what is happening Mike, the bristles seem to be coming from near the middle of the knot. I like the knot, but I'm not particularly fond of the handle. As long as it doesn't lose too many while I'm shaving I'll keep using it the way it is.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That shedding is how my two boars met their demise, and why I moved to synthetic. I got myself a Mixed Midget recently, to give a natural brush one last try with intermediate drying instead of continual use. If this does the same, I'll just stay with my synthetics.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sunday, January 17

Razor: New SC with @Rosseforp bronze handle
Blade: Feather(3)
Brush: Acca Kappa
Soap: WK La Fougere Parfaite
ASL: Lucky Tiger Bay Rum

After all the shedding I gave the Acca Kappa a nice soak in warm water, citric acid, and Dawn, then a soak in warm water and citric acid to rinse and let dry. Since it only lost two more bristles I gave it another go tonight.

I haven't used the WK in a while, and I think it dried some as it soaked up all of the bloom water. The first pass lather was pretty good, but I did have to go back to the tub for the second pass. The second pass water was running down my hand and dripping in the sink, the lather just about perfect.

The shave was a 2 and 1/2 pass. N-S first pass, S-N second pass, N-S clean up pass on my neck.

The extra weight of the bronze handle made the shave almost effortless, that might have also contributed to the razor being quieter tonight. The blade didn't seem to be working as hard, but the Polsilver was smoother, and more comfortable.

I probably could have skipped the cleanup pass if I had started the shave ATG instead of WTG, but I wanted to see if that would be more comfortable.

I noticed a little redness in my face and neck right after the shave and the Witch hazel tingled a bit. The LT Bay Rum paired really nice with the subtle scent of the La Fougere Parfaite, and it also had more of a sting than usual, with Nivea balm soothing my weeper-less but slightly irritated neck.

The New SC is an incredibly efficient razor, yet it doesn't feel aggressive. The blade feel is there, but it gives me no hint that it wants to jump up and bite. It also is no match for my GC84-P when it comes to comfort.

I thought I was gonna have a BBS, but no cigar. I am gonna say it was more technique than the New SC, as I have only used it twice, the GC84-P over 60 times....
20210117_202117[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tuesday, January 19

Razor: New SC with @Rosseforp bronze handle
Blade: Gillette Yellow(3)
Brush: Mistura
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Yep, it was one of those shaves. The Mistura needed no more than 15 seconds to deliver enough lather for 3 full passes. The Gillette Yellow felt smoother than it did in my GC84-P and was just as close. It felt as though the blade was not there, yet there was feedback.

S-N neck, nose to ear face first pass, then the Mistura delivered a second face lathering better than the first.
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg
The lather so slick the razor slid effortlessly from my sideburns to the base of my neck in one long sweeping motion, using just enough pressure that no lather was left behind like a squeegee, the only feedback coming from the Offspring "The Kids Aren't Alright".

The Witch hazel felt great, with just a slight burn from the Pinaud Classic Vanilla, the Nivea balm finishing off a DFS.
20210119_192009[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, January 20

Razor: other New SC with @Rosseforp bronze handle
Blade: Gillette Yellow(4)
Brush: Mistura
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla

"The cap does make a difference"
20210120_190757[1].jpg

After yesterday's plan came together there was another page to add. It seems the New SC came with a variety of caps, in fact, every cap that came from a New LC to a 1967 tech will fit a New SC baseplate.
The New Short Comb that I have used the last three shaves came with the "correct cap", while the New Short Comb that I am using today came with another cap.

As the War Machine fired volley after volley from her 16" guns at my oldest child for not paying attention whilst Remote Learning, I retreated to the bunkers, turned on "Queens of the Stone Age" and went with the flow.

https://youtu.be/DcHKOC64KnE

With the volume turned up to eleven I couldn't hear the blade, but the Mistura was on a mission and performed under fire with aplomb. I hadn't spent much time loading the brush while under fire, the lather rich and running down my chest, I really didn't need to shave but pressed on from the Southern part of base camp to the Northern Chin of the mountain. Next was a flanking move from the center out to the very edge of listening, not one soldier left behind.

More time was spent reloading before the final push that was more of a slide from the summit back to base camp, putting all the gear away and a GI Shower. I put the "other New SC" back in it's case with it's 25¢ tuck of Blue Blades, slapped on some Witch hazel, a cooling burn of Clubman Classic Vanilla, yes, it delivered a whoosh of coldness followed by a burning sensation for only a moment, then a wonderful cooling down period with Nivea balm as the last soldier to stand guard until the next time we meet.

https://youtu.be/PUoO4T_23pA

20210120_192250[1].jpg

Top Bottom