What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Aluminum baseplate for SE1 on order from Maggard's should be here tomorrow along with a tortoise handle Omega I have wanted since last November. Not sure when I will get around to using it though.

Just saying... Thanks for today's reading assignment. I read the backup material as well as your posts in that GD thread.

I have never been guilty of pontificating about steel "hardness", but now I will take all knife and razor blather about HRC and completely ignore it. It is no doubt as accurate in the postings of amateurs as the finely calibrated SAS<CCS<DFS<BBS scale.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Just saying... Thanks for today's reading assignment. I read the backup material as well as your posts in that GD thread.

I have never been guilty of pontificating about steel "hardness", but now I will take all knife and razor blather about HRC and completely ignore it. It is no doubt as accurate in the postings of amateurs as the finely calibrated SAS<CCS<DFS<BBS scale.
It's tough to try and cram 50+ years of experience in a few paragraphs............

It's tough to try and cram 50+ years of experience in a few paragraphs............

It appears to be tough to communicate with folks who never tested Rockwell C hardness (or any of the rest of the alphabet), but have read a lot of ads and forum posts.

Hands on wins hands down.

Now that I've read something (for less than 50 minutes) and am at least as well-informed as I would be with 50 years of metal work under my belt...

I'll probably keep my mouth shut, but I'll skip reading a lot of razor and knife steel hardness blather.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
John, they asked a lot of really good questions. You can bet that when I started looking at the numbers I was seeing on the tester, I knew there was something besides just the Rockwell numbers. We have been making bone saws out of 17-4ph over 40 years. The best 17-4ph will hit 51, tops. Some will only make it to 43. It depends on the chemistry. It also depends on how long you soak it at temperature. The ovens have logic controllers, so that you can precisely control the times it takes to reach temperature, hold it there, and cool down. Multiple steps, depending on conditions. I programmed all of the logic controllers because the language was, let's just say funky. The ovens use these PLO's from the 50's, even the new ovens. Once you get it figured out is is pretty easy.
It is also easy to screw up.

We had a guy in the shop that thought he knew what he was doing on 2nd shift, pushed the wrong button and cooked a batch of titanium at 2150 for 6 hours. 40 slugs, 1 7/8" diameter by 3 1/2" long. Oop$$$$$$$$$$$$
They looked like plastic.

Trying to explain some of the idiosyncrasies that go with heat treating when you have done it as long as I have, to someone that has probably never even seen one of the ovens or testers in person, well. You get the point. I do hope they understood some of it.

Really the main thing I was trying to point out is that if you only concentrate on the Rockwell numbers, you are missing the point altogether. But that is not easy to see, when you have already convinced yourself that it is.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
20200821_153609[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
20200821_101059.jpg

My Tortoise handle badger got here this weekend along with an aluminum baseplate for my SE1
This is how the brush looks out of the box and next to my Black badger.
20200821_101449.jpg

It smelled pretty funky so I gave it a soak in plain water a few hours, and that only made it worse and gave the water a nice color too. Lol
I rinsed it again and let it soak in Dawn, then I rinsed it a few more times and made a few bowls of Arko lather with it, brushing the lather on my hand I could feel a few prickly bristles really making their presence known, while the rest were plush and soft. I rinsed it again and let it dry.
Still smelling more funky than the fresh scent of Arko, I dipped the new Omega in the water mug again and waved it over the top of my jar of MdC Agrumes 4 1/2 times.
I then opened up the jar and gave the brush 3 swipes and let the lather explode on the two week stubble on my face and neck.
The prickly bristles made their presence known again on my neck, while the rest of the brush was minding it's manners. I'm gonna need to spend some time building bowl lather with it to get it in line. If it is anything like it's Black cousin, it is gonna take 30-50 lathers before it becomes glorious.

By then my Mistura might be done getting sun in Madrid. It has been hanging out there about two weeks so far.
20200821_110156.jpg

The aluminum baseplate pares the weight from 33 grams to 11.8 grams, while not losing enough rigidity to make a difference, so now the razor is a more manageable 75 grams. It almost feels like a feather now.
20200821_110308.jpg

I am staying with the steel cap, because in my experience with tooling, an aluminum cap would give up too much rigidity. If I am to get a small milling machine in the future, I will probably mill the extra weight from the steel baseplate for fun. I doubt it would give up enough rigidity to make a difference. Getting the aluminum baseplate is cheaper.
I haven't shaved with the aluminum baseplate yet, but I don't think I will notice much difference besides the weight.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Can't get too much of these guys either

I really like Alice in Chains MTV: Unplugged.

Years ago doing the chatroom and MSN Groups I had a mIRC war script I named after this song.

Lotta fun in those days. I ran three groups but one was mine, American Muscle Cars and the chatroom to go along with it. That script was based on the mIRC =Godzilla= war bot and with a bit of tweaking it was faster than the MSN Sysop Bots and would ban them before they could send a command lol. MSN finally got tired off it and to stop us banning those bots they had to shut down the entire MSN Chatroom system lol. Band aid solution haha.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Lotta fun in those days. I ran three groups but one was mine, American Muscle Cars and the chatroom to go along with it. That script was based on the mIRC =Godzilla= war bot and with a bit of tweaking it was faster than the MSN Sysop Bots and would ban them before they could send a command lol. MSN finally got tired off it and to stop us banning those bots they had to shut down the entire MSN Chatroom system lol. Band aid solution haha.
I started out with Compuserve when I got my Commodore 64 and a 300 baud modem, early 80's. There were some racing based BBS's that I checked out, because in those days, you had to wait days or weeks to get racing results, little was broadcast on the air.
I mostly hung out in the CSI chat rooms, trivia and travel. Group 3D Meets in person in different cities around the world. That was a lot of fun, got to meet a lot of interesting people. Stuck with them till the AOL takeover. Still have the same CSI email address from the 80's.
I was an administrator for a FB site called the WorldWideSportOfDragRacing a few years ago, and it got to be quite the headache once the membership got over 20,000.........when I joined we had 50 members.
This is the first forum that I have joined since the old days of Compuserve, so it has taken me some time to get to know all of the personalities around here.

There is always something going on..... Lol

Top Bottom