What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You're words echo the words of @rabidus. He said the MMOC was right on the heels of the SE1/Proline with the edge going to the SE1. At my absolute best, my Grande is close to my MMOC but not quite there, in every regard. I would expect the same from my MMOC vs an SE1.
When I first tried my SE1, I only had DE razors to compare it with. I was amazed the first time I used it:

First impression, at 90 grams, this is a very solid feeling razor. My Game Changer's and Fatip's are 65-73 grams. Second impression, this razor means business, it shaves more like an SR than a DE.

That was four months ago, I just wasn't ready for it yet. After three great shaves from my MMOC, I knew it was time.
They do come in KBG.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When I first tried my SE1, I only had DE razors to compare it with. I was amazed the first time I used it:

First impression, at 90 grams, this is a very solid feeling razor. My Game Changer's and Fatip's are 65-73 grams. Second impression, this razor means business, it shaves more like an SR than a DE.

That was four months ago, I just wasn't ready for it yet. After three great shaves from my MMOC, I knew it was time.
They do come in KBG.

Yeah, SE's are a definite step up from DE's. The MMOC is a step up from most, if not all, vintage SE's and the SE1 is a step up from it. Gotta sneak up em, slowly haha.

I'm aware they come in 24k gold but for the life of me, after reading your post and my reply, I couldnt find it on the site to drool over a picture. Just as well! lol

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
ARKO! August, Monday 3

ATT SE1 Proline(7)
Omega 10005
ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick
ARKO! Aftershave Cologne
ARKO! Aftershave Cream

I pressed my ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick into a tub last night to make it easier to load. I might get the 90g tub next time I place an order, just to try it. I still have 9 unopened sticks.......

After washing my face with Dove Shea Butter, I loaded my wet brush heavy and built a nice thick creamy ARKO! lather on my face, shaving quickly N-S my face, chin, and around my lops a bit of freestyle, I did feel the blade a few times above my lips and the corners, but I was using pressure.
After lathering my face again and shaving my face ear to nose, again using some pressure moving quickly, I could not feel the blade.

Because I planned on only one N-S pass on my neck, my strokes were short, as I swept in an arcing motion from guard to cap. I was stretching my skin, but not taut, just enough to allow me to increase my pressure and present more of my stubble to the blade, buffing on the cap until I could not feel the blade cutting or touching my skin.
There seem to be limitless angles this razor will shave at. I can just increase the pressure to keep the blade cutting, while somehow keeping the blade just skimming the surface.

The HA had a cooling effect, as did the Witch hazel, with the ARKO! Aftershave Cologne complementing, not stinging, a dab of Arko balm and cup of coffee to get my day started.
Most of the shave I could not feel the blade, only feel it cut. Pure comfort, zero irritation, fast shave.

Oh yeah, BBS.
20200803_074254[1].jpg

The brush is damp because I took the picture after I shaved.

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
ARKO! August, Tuesday 4

ATT SE1 Proline(8)
Koh I Noor
ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick
ARKO! Aftershave Cologne
ARKO! Aftershave Cream

Another great ARKO! shave. The SE1 helped.

After loading up the brush I could feel some prickly bristles as I splayed and exfoliated my face.

A fine lather was had and I started free-styling over and around my lips, my skin stretched tightly I could feel the blade as it scraped at first, then smoothed out as the stubble left the room.

I shaved my face nose to ear with a sideburn trim N-S, then shaved my neck S-N, taking my time, trying to get all the angles and stubble in one pass.

After wetting my hands and rubbing the residual lather into my skin, my face was smooth, but there was still stubble on my neck, so I lathered up and did a finish pass on my neck N-S.
I could feel the SE1 as it took the remaining stubble off, leaving nothing behind.

I finished with the HA, Witch hazel, ARKO aftershave and balm.

And the shaves just continue to get better with my ATT SE1.
20200804_094945[1].jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm curious to see what you'll think of the MMOC when you go back to it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
ARKO! August, Wednesday 5
ATT SE1 Proline(9)
Omega 49
ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick
ARKO! Aftershave Cologne
ARKO! Aftershave Cream

Whistles Dixie.

After washing my face with Shea Butter Dove bar soap while the 49 soaked in warm water a few minutes, I swirled it around the tub I pressed the ARKO! stick in until it filled with lather.

Hot dog this big ol' brush got soft all of a sudden, it is loosing some of it's backbone, all of the scritch is gone, not one prickly bristle, and just a touch of scrub. It isn't ready to play with my Silver Tip, but is is slinging lather all over the rest of the piggies in the pen.

Once again I freestyled around my lips and chin, with emphasis on WTG strokes, but only using narrow parts of the blade. Instead of trying to keep the entire blade flat against my face, I am finding that I can just use the edges or just the middle, gently rocking the razor and using short strokes over the contours.
After trimming my sideburns a few quick nose to ear strokes on my face, I was ready to shave my neck.

Since it seemed like the second N-S pass took off more stubble than the first S-N pass yesterday, I completely abandoned the S-N pass. I concentrated on just letting the SE1 do its job, changing the angle to obtain maximum efficiency. I took my time, or so I thought, carefully stretching from different angles, just using the ends of the blade like an SR to get in the tight spots, always being mindful of the other end that isn't being used, so as to not unintentionally get a nick.
It sounds complicated, but is becoming natural.

As I rinsed my face off I noticed only 15 minutes had passed, instead of the usual 20-30 minutes, as I applied the Witch hazel, HA, then ARKO! aftershave cologne, and a dab of ARKO! aftershave cream.

BBS?????
WOW!!!

20200805_061228[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
ARKO! August Thursday, 6

SE1 Proline(10)
Omega 49
ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick
ARKO! Aftershave Cologne
ARKO! Aftershave Cream

Another great ARKO! shave in the books!

Pretty much the same shave as yesterday, but......... I found that I can buff around my lips, under my nose without irritation at all. The SE1 is very good at holding lather for that.

I shaved my face N-S, then ear to nose, buffing on the ear to nose with light stretching, in complete comfort. Yes, I can feel the blade now that I am using some pressure, but it doesn't feel like it wants to bite at all, it is very easy to modulate the pressure, and this razor will let me ride the cap without planing off the top layer of my skin!

I shaved my neck N-S first then S-N, mostly buffing and stretching on the second pass. It really felt like I got every hair. I even got a few weepers to prove it.

But it was all for naught, as yesterday's single N-S pass was actually closer and more comfortable. One of these days I will figure out how to shave my neck.

I used the Witch hazel first, HA, then Arko Shaving Cream, then the Arko Aftershave Cologne gave me a nice wake-up call to let me know to abandon the S-N pass......

20200806_064459[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
ARKO! August Friday, 7

ATT SE1 Proline(11)
Omega 49 Acca Kappa
ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick
ARKO! Aftershave Cream
ARKO! Aftershave Cologne

The Omega 49 gave me some trouble yesterday, so I tried bowl lathering this morning.

TOTAL FAIL:cursing: All it did was suck up all the lather:c12:. Looks like a soak in some Dawn and vinegar is in the works for the 49....... bad piggie:letterk2:

So I grabbed my Acca Kappa and it did deliver the goods today. Soft with absolutely no scritch, some scrub and not much backbone to speak of. It is comfortable, and my neck needed it today.
20200807_070926[1].jpg
Nice badger:adoration:

That S-N pass yesterday left my neck raw.:thumbdown

My faced was the usual freestyle around my lips with a lot of buffing, gently. With a light touch, and multiple passes the stubble just seems to disappear without irritation on my face.
Sideburns N-S, then ear to nose, smooth, comfortable.

No N-S pass on my neck today, well, from the base of my neck until the hair changes directions I shaved S-N, about the lower 2 inches. If I don't shave there S-N, I see dark stubble there all day.

I took care and used not much pressure, slowly sweeping with short, short buffing strokes. Twice. All the way to the base of my neck, and finished with the afore mentioned lower S-N pass.
There was lots of nice ARKO! lather being softly applied during the shave as my Acca Kappa came to the rescue.

I used HA, Witch hazel, ARKO! Aftershave Cream, with only a mild burn:bayrum2: from the ARKO! Aftershave Cologne in that order.

All in all, not too bad of a shave, but I could have done with less drama.

20200807_070953[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

Arrived at Sort Facility LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA

August, 07 2020 07:16 Local time | LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA

This shipment is handled by: DHL Express
Tracking Code: **********
Customer Service
Estimated Delivery Date
August, 07 2020 - By End of Day
NORTHERN ALBERTA, AB - EDMONTON - CANADA

ONTARIO, CA - CORONA - USA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Arrived at Sort Facility LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA
August, 07 2020 07:16 Local time | LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA

This shipment is handled by: DHL Express
Tracking Code: **********
Customer Service
Estimated Delivery Date
August, 07 2020 - By End of Day
NORTHERN ALBERTA, AB - EDMONTON - CANADA

ONTARIO, CA - CORONA - USA

You and @Cal in cahoots!

I saw the "Ontario CA" and for a second I thought it was coming to me hahaha.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I decided to post an updated picture of this mornings shave with the Acca Kappa brush that I ended up using. It is a nice brush, my first badger that was a gift from my brother that lives in Germany. This might even be the same kit that I use tomorrow.
What could it be? I wasn't expecting it to ship until NEXT week

I'm letting the Omega 49 dry out for a few days, and get some ShipShape from Sally's to clean it with.

ARKO! August Friday, 7

ATT SE1 Proline(11)
Omega 49 Acca Kappa
ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick
ARKO! Aftershave Cream
ARKO! Aftershave Cologne

20200807_101750[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Apparently DHL doesn't work Fridays or Saturdays:a54:

Your shipment is on the way
Come back to this page for updates on your shipment status.

• Estimated delivery date: August 8

Friday
August, 07 2020
  • 09:28 Local time | Departed Facility in LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USALOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA

Friday
August, 07 2020
  • 09:24 Local time | Processed at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USALOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA
  • 07:16 Local time | Arrived at Sort Facility LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USALOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA
  • 06:14 Local time | Departed Facility in CINCINNATI HUB - USACINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA
  • 02:18 Local time | Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB - USACINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA
  • 02:15 Local time | Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USACINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA

Thursday
August, 06 2020
  • 20:28 Local time | Customs status updatedCINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA
  • 18:17 Local time | Departed Facility in SOUTHERN ALBERTA - CANADASOUTHERN ALBERTA, AB - CANADA
  • 17:18 Local time | Processed at SOUTHERN ALBERTA - CANADASOUTHERN ALBERTA, AB - CANADA
  • 17:17 Local time | Arrived at Sort Facility SOUTHERN ALBERTA - CANADASOUTHERN ALBERTA, AB - CANADA
  • 17:14 Local time | Departed Facility in NORTHERN ALBERTA - CANADANORTHERN ALBERTA, AB - CANADA
  • 15:41 Local time | Processed at NORTHERN ALBERTA - CANADANORTHERN ALBERTA, AB - CANADA

Wednesday
August, 05 2020
  • 16:53 Local time | Shipment on holdNORTHERN ALBERTA, AB - CANADA
  • 14:15 Local time | Shipment picked upNORTHERN ALBERTA, AB - CANADA

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sunday

August, 09 2020
  • 10:36 Local time | With delivery courierONTARIO, CA - USA

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
SE SOTD
ARKO! August, Sunday 9

SE1 Proline(12)
Omega 10290
ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick
ARKO! Aftershave Cream
ARKO! Aftershave Cologne

Reminds self next time I use this brush to start soaking it sooner.
With about a 3 minute soak in the water mug and about 30 swirls, the 10290 boar did whip a nice bowl of lather.
As soon as I put it to my face I felt backbone, a lot, and there is scritch, along with an amazing amount of scrub.
After I dipped the brush in the water mug again, the backbone did lighten up some, along with some of the scritch.
I guess this piggie will need some more use to get rid of the scritch and some of the backbone, other than that, the lather was great!

I haven't shaved since Friday morning, so there is more stubble than usual for a Sunday night shave, but the SE1 doesn't care. Starting over my lips and under my nose I buffed the stubble gently away, trimmed my sideburns and shaved my face N-S, three strokes on each side with no buffing, then my neck N-S, buffing as I worked my way down.

Dipping the tips of the brush in the water again and there was plenty of lather still in the brush and in the bowl for another full lather of ARKO!, this time shaving my face nose to ear, then another series of gentle buffing passes N-S on my neck. I used very light pressure and kept my neck stretched fairly tight to sort of tickle the remaining stubble from my neck.

A small amount of HA rubbed into my still moist face, then the Witch hazel, followed by a dab of ARKO aftershave cream, the ARKO aftershave cologne only warmed up my face a little and left me with another great ARKO! shave.

Was it a BBS? Who cares it was comfortable. It was a Damn Fine Shave.
20200809_214732[1].jpg

Top Bottom