What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

I started out with Compuserve when I got my Commodore 64 and a 300 baud modem, early 80's. There were some racing based BBS's that I checked out, because in those days, you had to wait days or weeks to get racing results, little was broadcast on the air.
I mostly hung out in the CSI chat rooms, trivia and travel. Group 3D Meets in person in different cities around the world. That was a lot of fun, got to meet a lot of interesting people. Stuck with them till the AOL takeover. Still have the same CSI email address from the 80's.
I was an administrator for a FB site called the WorldWideSportOfDragRacing a few years ago, and it got to be quite the headache once the membership got over 20,000.........when I joined we had 50 members.
This is the first forum that I have joined since the old days of Compuserve, so it has taken me some time to get to know all of the personalities around here.

There is always something going on..... Lol
I started out on usenet? groups on a terminal at my school library. When I got my Atari 400 in 1980, I started doing local BBSs. At some point I started playing games on a subscription service with a name like "Imagine Nation".

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
How about...

There is always something going on..... Lol

I just checked FB for one of the old MSN groups I was in that moved there, Maw's Show n Shine, but its gone. Maw drove a 1969 440 GTX. 14 years ago, damn.

Maw.JPG

Seems a lifetime and in some ways it has been.

I started out on usenet? groups on a terminal at my school library. When I got my Atari 400 in 1980, I started doing local BBSs. At some point I started playing games on a subscription service with a name like "Imagine Nation".

I've got a friend that still uses usenet groups for downloading movies, somehow. I dont know how they work.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
One of my co-workers son's used to work for Blizzard, he said the place was just like "Grandma's Boy", people running down the isles wearing costumes playing laser tag and nerf games all the time. Sleeping on the job was encouraged.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One of my co-workers son's used to work for Blizzard, he said the place was just like "Grandma's Boy", people running down the isles wearing costumes playing laser tag and nerf games all the time. Sleeping on the job was encouraged.

Happy employee's are productive employee's. Even if management may need to keep the toy boxed locked now and then and start a pillow fight lol.

Hardcore gamers might enjoy "Dead Pixels" that just started playing on "The CW". Not sure where the original programing is from, but apparently CW is playing last years episodes.

ImagiNation, originally The Sierra Network. The ad is hilarious looking back at it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
ARKO!August
Thursday, 27

Simpson PJ2
Karve OC C plate
Gillette Platinum(1)
ARKO Shaving Stick(mashed in a tub)
ARKO Aftershave Cologne
ARKO Aftershave balm

With some 17 days since I last shaved I decided it was time to give the Karve a little test drive. The whiskers were starting to itch at the bottom of my neck. And we have guests coming tomorrow.

SWMBO had been indicating that I take too much time shaving, and wants me to shave within her predetermined time-frame.
The presence of even one razor on the sink seemed to annoy her, so I have removed them all from the bathroom.
I put a lot of them in their boxes and some are gracing the workbench in my garage. A few are in my den.
SWMBO was particularly annoyed at my chosen location for my Heirloom Strop.
She does, however, seem to enjoy all of the expensive cosmetic supplies that I buy for her.

I have been finding it difficult to shave when my razors are in boxes and strops in the den, much to her dismay.

I loaded a fresh Gillette Platinum in my new Karve using the open comb C baseplate. I have taken down this much growth with both of my Piccolo's, so I left the open comb D baseplate in the drawer.
After lathering my neck with ARKO I drew a line in the lather from ear to ear right where the hair growth changes directions, as I am only shaving the lower part of my neck tonight.

Starting at the base of my neck I shaved S-N, using short buffing strokes. I really couldn't feel the blade or feel the razor cutting, but hair was disappearing. After wiping the lather off my neck, and seeing lots of stragglers, I looked at the razor and saw it was plugged with long hairs. Maybe I should have used the D baseplate.
After a good rinse to clean out the hairs, I took another two passes, N-S to get the rest of the stubble.

Not the closest shave, but the terrain was tough.
Remarkably, there was almost no irritation, I could barely feel the blade, the combs are smooth and gentle on the most sensitive part of my neck.

And when SWMBO gets tired of looking at my scraggly looking beard, I might get to spend some quality time with my new Karve.
20200827_190335[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I just heard from Madrid AP that my SEMOGUE Owners Club Butterscotch Mistura will arrive tomorrow with a 90 gram bowl of ARKO!
They have been getting some rays in the sun there since the 11th of August.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm still pondering my last shave with my Karve, even though my beard was about 8mm long after not shaving for 17 days. I have shaved that much off with my Piccolo and it didn't clog, but the Karve did. Maybe I should have tried the D plate, or maybe they just got caught in the gap, as the Piccolo really doesn't have a gap.

The major difference, though I noticed the next day. I only shaved the lower part of my neck, where I have more black hair than grey, so the stubble shows much sooner at the base of my neck, than other areas of my face. I could feel the stubble, ever so slightly yesterday, but I couldn't see it until this morning, 2 days after shaving.
I didn't really think I shaved that close, it didn't feel all that close when I was shaving, as I could barely feel the blade cutting.
Oh, no irritation at all, when I shave that much off with my Piccolo, I never shave the next day. It is usually only one pass also, I made three passes with the Karve.
I didn't need to shave at all last night, even if I had been in the mood. But we had company, and they didn't leave until late, so I just showered and went to bed.

I only bowl lathered up my new Omega this morning, as I am expecting a 90 gram of ARKO! this evening, so that I can compare the stick with the bowl, there is supposed to be a slight difference.
A Semogue Butterscotch Mistura is also supposed to arriving along with the ARKO!, but I probably won't try lathering with it until tomorrow :jump:

I'm still pondering my last shave with my Karve, even though my beard was about 8mm long after not shaving for 17 days. I have shaved that much off with my Piccolo and it didn't clog, but the Karve did. Maybe I should have tried the D plate, or maybe they just got caught in the gap, as the Piccolo really doesn't have a gap.
IMO the Fatip open comb design is THE BEST in every way. Regarding clogging in particular: Look at one closely and compare it to ANY other OC and you'll see instantly why the cut-whiskers-and-used-lather drainage system is superior.

That's just my two cents, not that I'm a Fatip lover or anything. :001_rolle

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
IMO the Fatip open comb design is THE BEST in every way. Regarding clogging in particular: Look at one closely and compare it to ANY other OC and you'll see instantly why the cut-whiskers-and-used-lather drainage system is superior.

Screenshot_2020-08-29 He's Right You Know - Imgur.png

The only time I've ever clogged my Grande is with a lather way too dry. My NEW SC clogs much easier.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tuesday, September 1

SE1 Proline(13)
Simpson PJ2
ARKO! Shaving Stick(mashed into a puck)
ARKO! Aftershave Cologne
ARKO! Maximum Comfort Cream

It has been 120 hours since I shaved, ala @JoWolf , now that I am retired, I can shave when I wish.

Since I was only planning on a one pass shave, I only gave the PJ2 10 swirls of ARKO!, and that was plenty for neck lathering!
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

I used the aluminum baseplate in my SE1 today. When I started shaving my neck S-N up to the edge of my beard in the center of my neck I had the razor steep, using very light pressure, short strokes, but not buffing. I could feel the blade start to tug almost right away, coming to an abrupt stop as it hit the edge.

As I started to shave the right side of my neck the blade was really tugging until I started to ease the angle toward more neutral and the cap. As I felt the razor near the edge of my beard I eased the razor onto the cap for a very smooth transition, and the tugging disappeared.
I shaved the left side of my neck the same way, with careful buffing strokes, I could now feel the blade cut the hairs, but with almost no feedback at all. It looked plenty close after one pass, so I rinsed off and cleaned up.

A Hyaluronic Acid rub on my still damp skin, followed by Witch hazel and ARKO! Aftershave Cologne. There was nary a tingle and the ARKO! Maximum Comfort Cream went on very nice, not thick and greasy like the ARKO! Aftershave Cream.

Not as close a shave as the Karve, but that was a 3 pass shave, this was one pass. The aluminum baseplate did make a difference, but it is hard to judge only shaving my neck. Changing the angle to more neutral really helped.

I'm still gonna rate the Karve shave as more comfortable.

20200901_095812[1].jpg

I made the razor stand from a chunk of 6AL 4V

Top Bottom