What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

Question for those of you with more experience than me (which is zero). On a scale of 1-10, what is the level of difficulty in designing/printing a replica/replacement of the center ring of a williams double cap shave stick?

I have one with decent caps, but ring is pretty corroded on the inside and not sure how long it’ll last. Also not sure if the little bit of flex that the 3D piece would undergo would have to use a specific printing medium, or if something with more flex is even available.

A replica would be nice, but if thats too involved, a straight-walled ring with threads would suffice. I have someone willing to make a piece, but wanted to get an idea of what id be asking. Thanks.

0510575A-ED04-49CF-BC99-5EBC0CC2B2CE.jpeg

Question for those of you with more experience than me (which is zero). On a scale of 1-10, what is the level of difficulty in designing/printing a replica/replacement of the center ring of a williams double cap shave stick?

I have one with decent caps, but ring is pretty corroded on the inside and not sure how long it’ll last. Also not sure if the little bit of flex that the 3D piece would undergo would have to use a specific printing medium, or if something with more flex is even available.

A replica would be nice, but if thats too involved, a straight-walled ring with threads would suffice. I have someone willing to make a piece, but wanted to get an idea of what id be asking. Thanks.

View attachment 1424030
I would find a jeweler and see if they would do a lost wax casting for you, perhaps out of pewter. Aluminum casting is also an option.

Excellent, thanks for the option. Im going to contact some places in my area. Seems pretty involved, so price might be an issue. Im guessing if just the center piece was made to use in the original caps, itd have to be aluminum to avoid galvanic corrosion (maybe). Or have the entire piece made of same material (pewter, as you mentioned, sterling, or silver). Its so thin, i cant imagine raw material costing that much, but i wonder about flexibility needed for center piece with other materials. Now i have something to do.

@SlimGem Thank you so much for the designs you are providing. I printed the EndGEM Speed last week and got one of the best shaves I've had in a really long time (with a lot of different razors). The Triceratops also provided a great shave and I just designed a case to fit in an Altoids tin that holds the handle, head, and a blade.

I am in the process of printing the whole Adjustable GEM family and have seen the wonderful case you designed for it. Is it available anywhere? I would love to print one.

I'm also really looking forward to you releasing the files for your adjustable that uses half DE blades. As much as I love SE razors, I have hundreds of DE blades around here.

Thanks again for all the hard work you have put into these designs and for releasing them.

Which lather bowl did you order?
this one in large version

@SlimGem Thank you so much for the designs you are providing. I printed the EndGEM Speed last week and got one of the best shaves I've had in a really long time (with a lot of different razors). The Triceratops also provided a great shave and I just designed a case to fit in an Altoids tin that holds the handle, head, and a blade.

I am in the process of printing the whole Adjustable GEM family and have seen the wonderful case you designed for it. Is it available anywhere? I would love to print one.

I'm also really looking forward to you releasing the files for your adjustable that uses half DE blades. As much as I love SE razors, I have hundreds of DE blades around here.

Thanks again for all the hard work you have put into these designs and for releasing them.
Thank you for your kind comment. I like the idea of an Altoids travel case for the triceratops. The case for the adjustable still needs some work. I'll upload it when finished. I have other lather bowls in the works. My days just aren't long enough for this hobby. Lol

Thank you for your kind comment. I like the idea of an Altoids travel case for the triceratops. The case for the adjustable still needs some work. I'll upload it when finished. I have other lather bowls in the works. My days just aren't long enough for this hobby. Lol
It is a balance to find the time isn't it?

Do you plan to upload some of your "in progress" works? More than willing to beta test, especially your "adjustable" half DE blade razor.

this one in large version
Nice! I have other lather bowl designs in the works. At some point I'll finish them and upload the files.

Hello 3D printer people.

I downloaded 4 stl files from the web that when put together make a mouse trap. Is it possible one of you could print one out and send it to me? If I like it, I would take more. What would you charge me to do this? The files are small and there is not a lot to it but I know zero about 3D printing.

This is the mousetrap in action:

Thanks

The quick answer is yes, but sometimes I go months or even years without touching a design.

I hope you don't mind but this finally gave me the motivation I've been lacking to upload a design. I need to give something back considering how many wonderful designs are out there.

I wasn't able to remix your design, but I was sure to link to your original razor design.

GEM Single Edge Safety Razor "Triceratops" Altoid Tin Case

Hopefully this is helpful to someone and I'm always open to feedback.

I hope you don't mind but this finally gave me the motivation I've been lacking to upload a design. I need to give something back considering how many wonderful designs are out there.

I wasn't able to remix your design, but I was sure to link to your original razor design.

GEM Single Edge Safety Razor "Triceratops" Altoid Tin Case

Hopefully this is helpful to someone and I'm always open to feedback.
I get an error on the link above.

From what I understand a dryer is necessary for certain types of filament and with the possible exception of PLA, useful for all, so I picked up the new Sunlu model off of a kickstarter campaign. This came in yesterday but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

2022-03-25 14_46_39-Google Photos - Photo - Google Photos.png

I get an error on the link above.

Sorry about that, I will post an updated link when I figure it out. It seems Thingiverse might be the best and worst site I've ever used. Not sure I've ever had so much trouble uploading anything and getting it to show correctly. I think part of it may be it's not showing designs fully for a certain period since I just signed up. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Turns out it is fun to design razor handles. I've been getting such good shaves with SlimGem's Triceratops, I was inspired to try out some different handle shapes. And using SlimGem's original files, I have remixed these so far.

Inspired by a handle named after a popular British dog is this chunky fellow.

Triceratops Bulldog.jpg

And drawing inspiration from a razor named after a famous sword, we have this pimply guy.

Triceratops Masamune.jpg

This is fun, I'm sure I will be creating more. If anyone is interested, just let me know and I can share or upload the files to Thingiverse.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Turns out it is fun to design razor handles. I've been getting such good shaves with SlimGem's Triceratops, I was inspired to try out some different handle shapes. And using SlimGem's original files, I have remixed these so far.

Inspired by a handle named after a popular British dog is this chunky fellow.

View attachment 1442033

And drawing inspiration from a razor named after a famous sword, we have this pimply guy.

View attachment 1442038

This is fun, I'm sure I will be creating more. If anyone is interested, just let me know and I can share or upload the files to Thingiverse.
Sweet!
What design software are you using?

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom