What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

Some fellow wet-shavers asked how the blade was injected on my 3D Injector Razor design. I guess technically, it's not an injector since the blade is loaded manually. Below is a short video I made showing how the blade is loaded.

Is this what you need?

View attachment 1418567

Yep that was the exact one I'd seen...

And @luvmysuper , you're totally right Phil, I realized after I wrote that that it would be a request better suited for the BST... sorry about that.
It's funny, I've seen several posts that mention 3D printing services at public libraries, it seems to be a pretty common thing. I did look around once when I saw some of the posts about 3D printing a razor and couldn't find any in my area (Los Angeles) that offer that. We're not known for the greatest public services here (among other things) 🙄

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

And @luvmysuper , you're totally right Phil, I realized after I wrote that that it would be a request better suited for the BST... sorry about that.
It's funny, I've seen several posts that mention 3D printing services at public libraries, it seems to be a pretty common thing. I did look around once when I saw some of the posts about 3D printing a razor and couldn't find any in my area (Los Angeles) that offer that. We're not known for the greatest public services here (among other things) 🙄
There are folks on etsy who do small 3d printing commission work.

@jesseix, let me see what I can do; my skills are nowhere close to those of @BradWorld, @luvmysuper, @SlimGem, or other masters of the craft but I'll try. All it will cost you is a PM with your mailing address.

@jesseix, let me see what I can do; my skills are nowhere close to those of @BradWorld, @luvmysuper, @SlimGem, or other masters of the craft but I'll try. All it will cost you is a PM with your mailing address.
Sorry, I'm a little late with my replies and on a busy schedule. If you're not in a hurry, I can print one of my versions of the handle as well and put in the mail for you next week.

Is this what you need?

View attachment 1418567

Well, the print finished but I'm going to give it another shot. There were no recommended settings other than rafts (no) and supports (yes), so I went with best guess (PLA filament, 0.1mm layer height, 100% infill).

Based on the images provided, I thought the handle should be hollow. When I went to remove what I thought were supports, I seem to have made matters worse. This is one reason I consider each print to be a draft until I actually see the finished product.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Got the Lulzbot TAZ Pro S all set up and have been tweaking.
Had a lot of adhesion problems initially, which I fixed by adjusting the Z Offset.
Having problems with layer adhesion now.
Cura is very difficult to tweak profiles, I'm as yet unable to figure out how to change profile settings or save local settings changes made in Cura for fan speed, print speed etc.

Edit:
Ok, stumbled on it by accident in probably the last place I would have looked.
The stock profiles (fast, detailed, and standard all have the exact same settings) and cause the printer to race around doing the print job very fast, this prevents temperature stabilization, and puts movement forces on the printed object.
In addition, the cooling fan was flat out at 100% after the first couple of layers, encouraging lift and warping.

Still have to run another test print.

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion that 3 printing is more an art than a science.

It seems that no matter which machine you buy, you have to tinker with it in order to get it to work great.

As an X heavy engineering apprentice (mid 1980's) I wonder if we'll be able to 3D print say an arc welder or set of spanners? Just a thought from an old guy 😉😉😉

I wish we could organise a group buy of a 3D razor. I am open to the idea of getting a Gem razor for example.

Unfortunately I don't have any printing services here in my country.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Success.
Fan speed reduced to 80%, bed Temp up 15% higher than standard profile, and enclosure in place.
The test print of the LulzBot Octopus came out better than their factory test.
I'm extremely happy with this machine. Fast, quiet and the ability to print off of a USB thumb drive with no computer attached is fabulous.
I put LED lighting in the enclosre and visibility is fantastic.
@BradWorld -thanks for the recommendation, you were spot on.

Factory print in green PLA on the left, my test print in white matte PLA on the right.
20220307_120724.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As an X heavy engineering apprentice (mid 1980's) I wonder if we'll be able to 3D print say an arc welder or set of spanners? Just a thought from an old guy 😉😉😉
Obviously there are some parts that would have to be non-printed, but absolutely doable.
They used to say that it was only a lathe that could enable one to make another lathe, and the 3D printer has joined the ranks of the lathe.
Industrial 3D printers are at the point that spanners could be printed. I personally doubt the strength could match that of anything tool steel, but they are making some pretty tough materials now.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Success.
Fan speed reduced to 80%, bed Temp up 15% higher than standard profile, and enclosure in place.
The test print of the LulzBot Octopus came out better than their factory test.
I'm extremely happy with this machine. Fast, quiet and the ability to print off of a USB thumb drive with no computer attached is fabulous.
I put LED lighting in the enclosre and visibility is fantastic.
@BradWorld -thanks for the recommendation, you were spot on.

Factory print in green PLA on the left, my test print in white matte PLA on the right.
View attachment 1420609
Glad to hear it Phil. Now you need to print the Rocktopus! Not my pic. That is from the Lulzbot page. I usually print these while dialing in new print heads and/or materials. So mine usually come out a little rougher than most of my prints. Not the kind of print quality I like to post publicly. :)

1646679404205.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Glad to hear it Phil. Now you need to print the Rocktopus! Not my pic. That is from the Lulzbot page. I usually print these while dialing in new print heads and/or materials. So mine usually come out a little rougher than most of my prints. Not the kind of print quality I like to post publicly. :)

View attachment 1420639
I've got that stl as well as the double hand one from Cura! :lol1:

OctoLogo.png
Image1.png

Top Bottom