What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you have average intelligence, a home computer and have purchased a 3D printer you can be producing amazing 3D items in almost no time. A process which used to take significant CAD or 3D modeling skills and an expensive printer is now within the grasp of the average home hobbyist.

3D printer prices have dropped significantly in the last few years and with more manufacturers coming to market, a 3D printer is well within the budget of almost anyone. 3D design and 3D modeling software has advanced to the stage that virtually anyone can get the hang of it in very short order. There are programs available that are free of charge for home hobbyists.

Believe me, if I can do this - ANYONE can do it.

Home 3D printing with filament printers can produce items in a wide variety of colors and materials, from ABS, PETG, or PLA plastic to wood, copper, brass, stainless steel or bronze filled filament.

The purpose of this thread is to share with the B&B family our 3D printer designs and experience. I would ask anyone who wishes to post here to bear in mind the following:

The intent is to share our designs and experience freely with our B&B brothers. If you want to be reimbursed or paid in any way, this thread is not for you.

If you have a design that you think needs some feedback in order to perfect it, that really is market research and this thread is not for you.

If you have found a design that you wish to share with others, and the location of that design requires payment in any form, this thread is not for you.

If you are or are thinking of becoming a salesman or vendor of your or others designs or products made from your or others designs, this thread is not for you.

If you want to take designs listed in this thread and sell or trade those designs, or print items to sell or trade, this thread is not for you.

Who is this thread for then?

If you have, out of creative inspiration or out of necessity, come up with a 3D printed design that has worked for you, and you wish to share it freely for personal use by others, then this thread is for you.

If you have reworked or modified an existing 3D design to work better for you, and you wish to share it freely for personal use by others, then this thread is for you.

How do we share designs here? If you wish to share your creativity with your fellow members here at B&B, please upload your design to Thingiverse.com, you may then link to your specific item with the web address.

Links should ONLY be to items you have designed or designs you have modified and have uploaded to thingiverse.com. It is preferred that you have already printed any design you link to here.

Please do NOT link to any site which requires payment to download a design. Please don’t link to any sales sites or vendors who sell 3D printed designs or products.

Please follow all the ethical guidelines establish by the “Creative Commons” licensing.

I hope that we can share information on 3D printing and 3D design without bumping against the provisions listed here. This can be a rewarding and entertaining place for us to share if we abide by the guidelines. I fear that failure to do so will result in this thread rapidly disappearing, and I’ll be the first one to request the Moderators do that if it gets outside the intent.

What say you?

What 3D design software do you use?

What 3D printer do you have?

Do you have questions about what software or hardware works for others?

What 3D designs have you created and printed?

Lets make this educational, fun and beneficial for our B&B brothers.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here is a lid for a vintage Old Spice mug to keep dust out of your valuable old spice soap. It is a modification of an existing design. It fits my mug perfectly, though you may need to tweak the diameter slightly as some of the mugs out there are of different sizes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey Phil, how much do you think I need to budget for a decent 3D printer?
You can get an entry level creality ender for around $200, but it's pretty basic. The sky is the limit.
Generally, an enclosure to help prevent shrinkage, and the size of printing you want to do drives up cost.
I bought an XYZprinting Da Vinci Pro 1 for $800 that has laser cutting/engraving capability, an enclosure, and an 8 inch x 8 inch x 8 inch print area with a heated bed.
The drawback is that printer uses proprietary slicing software, but for me the benefits outweighed the drawback.
There are a lot of user hacks out there to improve capabilities.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Filament printing is pretty popular, and filament is pretty cheap, but you won't get "out of the printer" intricate fine detail.
A resin printer can give you intricate detail at a cost of resin, mess, and potentially nastier raw supplies.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you have Windows 10, there's a free app you can get from the Microsoft store called "3D Builder".
It's not a top of the line CAD by any means, but it's free, simple, easy to use and I have done some very complex designs with it.
It's user friendly and can open and save in many 3D formats.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I am on MacOS so I might be limited by that. I have been interested in 3D printing for work gadgets and whatnot so this thread is a good chance for me to figure it all out.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil, what do you mean by "an enclosure" for the printer?

Some filament printers have the print area exposed.
Some materials, particularly ABS will warp if it cools too quickly.
An enclosure is just a cube around the print area that helps keep the printed object away from ambient air.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am on MacOS so I might be limited by that. I have been interested in 3D printing for work gadgets and whatnot so this thread is a good chance for me to figure it all out.

I'm not a Mac guy, but I don't believe that Apple would lock people out of 3D printing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here is a lather bowl, about 5 inches in diameter, with ridges to assist in lather build up.
The top of the bowl is curved inwards to help keep lather in the bowl.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just throwing this out there to show the variety of what can be done.
I made this drill index based on photos of a very hard to find Craftsman Drill index that went in the wall mounted Carpenters tool cabinet from the early 1950's.
These things just can't be found anywhere.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a Nautical themed bar and recreation area in my basement based on the USS Constitution. This is a sign that was to go on the bathroom door downstairs. It looks ok, but I eventually decided to go with a rectangular smaller sign.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I mentioned that I have a Nautical bar area based on the USS Constitution. For the bar, I 3D printed all of the items from the stern of the Constitution for building the actual bar.
Here's a picture of the actual stern of the USS Constitution at the top, and the bar that I made at the bottom with decorations that were 3D printed. The bar is about 8 feet long.

Constitution.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here is a quick example of how easy it is to get started.

I inserted a cone
1.jpg

Then added a sphere and positioned it near the top
2.jpg

Next, cut part of the sphere off
3.jpg

Insert a cylinder of the appropriate diameter and depth
4.jpg

Subtract that cylinder from the rest of the model, leaving a hole
5.jpg

Adjust your dimensions and check possible color combinations and save your file.
You have a Keyhole Shaving Brush Handle in less than 5 minutes.
6.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Hey there! I have been 3D printing for a long time, and have made some shaving items that I use all the time! I have even printed a few 3D printed razors and shaved with them. That was adventurous to say the least.

I use a Lulzbot Mini 2 with hardened steel tool head, a Printed Solid enclosure, and print on 3 mm filament. Lulzbot is quite an expensive printer though. They start at around $1500, and additional tool heads cost around $500. I dont recommend it for anyone just starting out, or anyone on a budget. I have owned a Creality Ender 3, and have achieved excellent results. The Ender is a $200 printer, and prints as well as printers 3 times its cost. You will need to put the thing together, print out a bunch of upgrades (I did say PRINT out the upgrades), and do a good amount of calibration and tweaking to get the Ender 3 there. But you dont need a deep pocket to get started with 3D printing. And literally everything can be learned from forums and youtube videos. As the OP mentioned anyone can do it. Anyone that can turn an allen wrench and operate a computer can succesfully 3D print.

For 3D design, try Tinkercad. Its an online 3D modeling software by Autodesk. Its free to use. And its quite simple, yet powerful. I used it to design many things.

I have made a few shaving related designs from scratch and put them on Thingaverse. My latest is this Mogno shaving soap bowl/box. But I think Thingiverse pulled it due to the branding or whatever. I have been meaning to make another one without the Mogno, and repost. But if anyone wants this one, please reach out and I can send you the STL file.

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope it flourishes!

2021-04-19 16.42.38.jpg

2021-04-19 21.07.51.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Here is a 24 mm brush handle I printed with Proto Pasta Stainless Steel infused filament. Came out pretty good. the knot is not set, as I am going to sand and polish this handle when I get a chance. This particular filament sands and polishes very nicely! This handle is readily available on thingiverse. I forget which one I downloaded for this one, but there are a ton of really nice handles on thingiverse. Enjoy!

2021-06-22 08.43.59.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here is a 24 mm brush handle I printed with Proto Pasta Stainless Steel infused filament. Came out pretty good. the knot is not set, as I am going to sand and polish this handle when I get a chance. This particular filament sands and polishes very nicely! This handle is readily available on thingiverse. I forget which one I downloaded for this one, but there are a ton of really nice handles on thingiverse. Enjoy!

View attachment 1285517

Despite all the problems of working with ABS, one nice thing is the ability to smooth with an acetone vapor bath.
I've got an aquarium with a PETG fan to circulate the vapor and it works really well. Just take the object out BEFORE it's done! LOL
I have several rolls of Proto Pasta, stainless, bronze, brass and copper I haven't tried yet.
I've used wood filled PLA to make some Groot figures, and they came out pretty good!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This is called "remixing" a design. Here are some single razor stands I use every day. They are readily available for download on thingiverse. I wanted to extend that concept to a multi razor stand. So i used Tinkercad to take someone else's design, and remixed it into what I needed. Then i reposted that on thingiverse for everyone else to use.

The brush holder in the first photo is an original design by me. I wanted a stand to hold large and long brushes by the bottom of the handle. Couldnt find one to buy. Couldnt find one to print. So i made one from scratch. The brush in the pic is quite huge. If you are familar with the size of the Charcoal Goods Torpedo next to it, you know how big that brush is. The STL has been up on Thingiverse for a year, and its been downloaded 48 times as of today. The quad razor stand has been downloaded 72 times so far. It feels good to make something that people may actually appreciate and use. Enjoy!

2021-06-22 08.48.49.jpg

2021-06-22 08.52.47.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Despite all the problems of working with ABS, one nice thing is the ability to smooth with an acetone vapor bath.
I've got an aquarium with a PETG fan to circulate the vapor and it works really well. Just take the object out BEFORE it's done! LOL
I have several rolls of Proto Pasta, stainless, bronze, brass and copper I haven't tried yet.
I've used wood filled PLA to make some Groot figures, and they came out pretty good!

I have melted my fair share of prints in Acetone. Believe me. :) If you try PolyMaker Polysmooth PLA, you can use an alcohol vapor bath for amazing results. It is specially made for alcohol based smoothing.

I didnt think that the Davinci Pro v1 has a hardened too head. You need to be careful printing out the abrasive filaments in there. You can tear apart your printer with those filaments. And it doesnt take much. My first two 3D printers were Davinci's. One of them was a Pro V1 like yours. They are good printers.

Top Bottom