What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

I work in Fusion 360. To be fair, my file is a total bastardization of SlimGem's original. I just reskinned everything from the threads down with the form and texture I wanted, but hey I think they look pretty good and give a totally different alternative to the original handle. Which I still can't compliment SlimGem enough for.

We are extremely fortunate to live in an age where something like a 3D printer is so affordable and such good design software can be had for free (or nearly). Plus such talented individuals providing great designs like everyone has posted on this thread.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I work in Fusion 360. To be fair, my file is a total bastardization of SlimGem's original. I just reskinned everything from the threads down with the form and texture I wanted, but hey I think they look pretty good and give a totally different alternative to the original handle. Which I still can't compliment SlimGem enough for.

We are extremely fortunate to live in an age where something like a 3D printer is so affordable and such good design software can be had for free (or nearly). Plus such talented individuals providing great designs like everyone has posted on this thread.
I just downloaded the personal use version of Fusion 360, now I've got to go through all the tutorials and learn how to use it.

I honestly think its worth the time. I have 20+ years of AutoCAD experience and use Revit and AutoCAD on a day to day basis, so I may be biased but over the years I've used most of the other large solutions (ProEngineer/Creo, Solidworks, Inventor) and after trying some of the more "free" offerings, I just couldn't get into them.

There are a ton of good tutorials on Youtube and many are tailored to different areas like woodworking, machining, general design. Find something that interests you and jump in.

For me, small projects like this are a great learning platform because I can build up skills and I have something physical and "useful" at the end.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was looking for a Chelsea WWII US Navy ships bell clock, and they are just ridiculously expensive. Even the stands alone are several hundred dollars.
I have a Chelsea 12/24 clock so I made a stand for it.
Then I thought - I have this clock, I can measure it, duplicate it, and make my own ships bell clock.
Progress pics in a little while, but here's the original with the stand I made.

20220412_180957.jpg

20220412_181010.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Main body, hinges, face plate and latch complete.
Back flange printing.
I have a mini timer trigger board, wav/ogg board for the bell sounds, and a 2 watt amplifier and speakers, along with a simple clock movement which will be assembled in the body.

20220419_060813.jpg

20220419_060727.jpg

20220419_060636_01.jpg

Still having a lot of fun playing with designs. As a chronic tinkerer, the printer is a great outlet for my making need. And playing with these razors has been a lot of fun. Too bad I can only shave at least every other day, so many designs to play with!

@SlimGem, can you tell me what thread pattern you use on your razors, specifically the Triceratops? I'm hoping it is something simple that can be replicated. I've been working over your original models, but would like to try to get a little trickier and would like to take a stab at starting from scratch.

Still having a lot of fun playing with designs. As a chronic tinkerer, the printer is a great outlet for my making need. And playing with these razors has been a lot of fun. Too bad I can only shave at least every other day, so many designs to play with!

@SlimGem, can you tell me what thread pattern you use on your razors, specifically the Triceratops? I'm hoping it is something simple that can be replicated. I've been working over your original models, but would like to try to get a little trickier and would like to take a stab at starting from scratch.
It's very simple. In fusion360 there is a threading tool that automates the whole process. I usually start with a 2mm pitch and go from there, but in the end, it varies since it is design-dependent. I don't use Fusion360, but it is widely used and easy to learn. Here is a useful link.

Don't forget to share your designs. And of course, don't share license-protected designs, re-mixes, and/or derivatives. Looking forward to your creations.

Last edited:
Thanks @SlimGem. I've been playing around with threads for a while now and it appears that yours aren't based off any standard patterns? Don't seem to match up standard M8, M10, etc unless I am missing something? I've been trying to duplicate via trial by error and it hasn't been going well so far. Haha.

Over the past few days I've been playing around with handle designs a lot. I finally figured out the Triceratops thread pattern after some trial and error and have arrived at the following designs. Most have influences from things I've seen, a few are just things I wanted to try out for both modeling and print settings experience.

The Fatty
Fat Handle.jpg

The Bumpy Handle
Bumpy Handle.jpg

The Long Knurly Handle
Long and Knurled.jpg

The Medium Knurled Handle
Medium Handle.jpg

The Stripey Handle
Stripey Handle.jpg

And the Super Mixmaster 5000 Handle
Super Mixmaster 5000.jpg

It's been fun playing around with these designs and they all offer their own benefits. Some have been very challenging to print which was a good lesson itself.

If anyone is interested in any of these, let me know and I can get files over. Not sure there is enough interested to bother dealing with Thingiverse for these but I'd love to give these to all who want them.

@SlimGem In looking through older posts in a variety of places, I've come across at least two of your designs for half blade DE razors. Are these far enough along that you would be willing to share with an able and willing tester? Very interested in investigating those two designs!

@SlimGem In looking through older posts in a variety of places, I've come across at least two of your designs for half blade DE razors. Are these far enough along that you would be willing to share with an able and willing tester? Very interested in investigating those two designs!
Lol... Those designs are years old and finally complete, and off my screen. And like many of my designs, it'll be years before I open and tweak them again. I don't really have any intentions of sharing any new designs at the moment, since the ones I've made available still have good momentum on Thingiverse.

Lol... Those designs are years old and finally complete, and off my screen. And like many of my designs, it'll be years before I open and tweak them again. I don't really have any intentions of sharing any new designs at the moment, since the ones I've made available still have good momentum on Thingiverse.
Alright thanks. Please let me know if you change your mind. Would love to try out those half DE designs since there isn't much else in the 3D printed realm close to those.

Very cool idea @luvmysuper

I think this is my the final entry into my @SlimGem Triceratops rehandling project. I thought I was done and inspiration just hit me one night when I saw one of these guys. Pretty happy how this came out after an hour or so of modeling and it really amazes me how well a $200 entry printer can print something like this.

Obvious inspiration here.

Streamline Side.jpg

Streamline Standing.jpg

If anyone is interested in these, let me know and I will get you the files.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Being unable to obtain Old Spice bath or shaving soap any longer, I decided to make my own, using commercially available melt and pour soap base. Scent comes from using the cheap dollar store Old Spice aftershave clone, and boiling off the alcohol in short bursts in the microwave to concentrate the scent.
I needed a mold to make the soap nicer, so I remixed an excellent container SCAD file as noted in remix comments, and the Old Spice Mug lids I published previously.

Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, well - in retrospect, I should have made the mold spool body slightly tapered to ease removal of the soap once it set, but I didn't so I had a bit of a hard time getting the soap out of the spool.
Still, all in all, I'm pretty happy with the results and it smells great!

20220506_081328.jpg

Top Bottom