What's new

Steer-Dovan Passaround

I think the variation you are seeing is likely just variations from batch to batch. All three of us are (were) using Horween Horsebutt and they really only do 3 tannages on that, Cordovan, Chromexcel and Veg tanned. Every batch I have ever gotten from them, while similar, felt or looked a bit different each time.

I agree the differences are subtle, the piece I got from Neil is the slickest but not by much.

I saw that post. I'm curious as to your thoughts after using it for a bit and of course comparing it to your other strops.

I saw that post. I'm curious as to your thoughts after using it for a bit and of course comparing it to your other strops.
Seems to have more wax in it than the premium steerhide. I preferred stropping a near wedge on the SD because it gave me more feedback than the PS which was really quiet with wedges. I preferred the PS for my hollow ground because it still had audible feedback with a smoother draw.
Definitely a good stropping component overall. If I had to choose between my PS and the SD I would stick with my PS since I like the smoother feel. If I order a second strop from Tony it may very well be a SD. The SD would definitely be my go-to for my near wedge razors. Since I haven't tried his other offerings I can't make any comparisons.
If I had an SD on a hook next to my PS I know I wouldn't be disappointed with it!

@MilkCrate sent me his address, so I'll try to get it in the mail in the next few days. Will post receipt with tracking info.

Can’t wait to try this pass-around strop. Thanks for the opportunity to jump in.

I have been stuck in Austin since Monday (I know it’s only Tuesday), but I will be home tomorrow. The missus reported that the plain vanilla came in yesterday and I have to wait another day to put hands on that one.

Being out of town has given me a chance to read the whole thread. Congrats @RumpleBearskin on the strop purchase! Happy Belated Birthday @Tony Miller! I hope you got your tools out of impound.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Seems to have more wax in it than the premium steerhide.

The Premium Steerhide (PS) has no waxes at all. It is a pure, natural veg tanned tooling leather. The Steerdovan (SD) has waxes much like the Fast Bridle did but more of a glazed surface.

Stopped at the PO after hours, but I'll have to go back.

IMG_20190619_200314.jpg

I did get a priority shipping label though. I'll send a pic of the receipt with tracking to @MilkCrate .

Thanks for letting me try out the strop @Tony Miller.

I am so excited to get working again. I believe we found a medicine that works for me. It's been two weeks with the new medicine and I haven't had any issues. Once j get working I am so getting one of these strops if I don't win it once this is done, which would be amazing if I did. Tony has a few that sound really good. I will have to get one of each of his strops when I can. Here's to crossing my fingers and praying I'm lucky enough to win this one.

Woohoo! Got the strop in the mail today. As others have said, very nice craftsmanship. There are a few nicks, but they are cosmetic.

I’ll give it a workout and report back.

Looks like the strop pass around is coming to an end so guessing we will be having a drawing soon and someone will get to keep this, thanks Thanks Tony for a great product..

First impressions, compared to the SRD and the TM plain vanilla.

The TM leather on both strops feels more refined than the SRD. The leather has a lighter nap and is more supple. Laps are buttery smooth and leave the SRD behind. I am glad I purchased the plain vanilla, it is an upgrade to the SRD and could last me a lifetime.

Onto the strop we are passing around. It is nice ... very nice. It is broken in more than my new plain vanilla, so that may influence the comparison a bit. This strop has good audible feedback with the Dovo I was using. The laps were buttery smooth, light and fast. The plain vanilla has a bit heavier of a draw to me. This strop leaves a very good first impression overall and checks all the boxes.

Thank you for the opportunity to try this strop. I shave daily and look forward to using it this week.

My week with the passaround strop is winding down. I really like the speed and draw of this strop. I don’t have any wedges, so I only used it with various hollows and it was nice.

Thanks again for the opportunity to try this leather. Now I want one. I have sent @Tony Miller a PM and will get this packed up for shipping.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Okay, looks like this will be heading back soon. I will give it an inspection to see how well it held up over its trials and travels, adding a cotton second component and do a drawing to see who gets to keep this one. I will put together a list of what names are to be on it.

Thank you Jnatcat for the Pass Around idea and organizing it.

Last edited:
Okay, looks like this will be heading back soon. I will give it an inspection to see how well it held up over its trials and travels, adding a cotton second component and do a drawing to see who gets to keep this one. I will put together a list of what names are to be on it.

Thank you Jnatcat for the Pass Around idea and organizing it.

Tony, I was so glad to initially be given the chance to test the strop and have enjoyed sharing your quality work with others so they can see what great attention to detail you provide, I wish the winner many years of great service with a quality made product from a top notch gent.

And whoever wins the strop I will kick in one free basic honing for your straight razor just pm me if you want to take advantage of this, please no eBay or garage sale finds :001_smile

Top Bottom