What's new

Steer-Dovan Passaround

So, my experience with strops is pretty much limited to my DIY bridle, whipped dog strop, and my TM Premium Steerhide that really isn't broken in yet. With that in mind, here are my thoughts.

First look, I really liked the color and appearance of the stropping component. The deep brown with subtle variations in color reminded me of nice pair of wellington boots.

Even though it was a 'test' strop, the fit and finish expected from a TM was all there. Nice hardware and clean edges.

The strop has a little more draw to it than my steerhide and more audible feedback. Again, my steerhide strop isn't broken in so it is hard to compare. Despite having more draw, it still had a somewhat 'slick' feel to it.
I may try comparing side by side with my DIY bridle tonight and add some pics.
Overall, I really liked the steerdovan strop and would definitely consider choosing it if I were ordering a strop from @Tony Miller today.

Tonight I scored Tony’s last plain vanilla strop on the site. Can’t wait to try it.
Those look like great strops for the money.

So, my experience with strops is pretty much limited to my DIY bridle, whipped dog strop, and my TM Premium Steerhide that really isn't broken in yet. With that in mind, here are my thoughts.

First look, I really liked the color and appearance of the stropping component. The deep brown with subtle variations in color reminded me of nice pair of wellington boots.

Even though it was a 'test' strop, the fit and finish expected from a TM was all there. Nice hardware and clean edges.

The strop has a little more draw to it than my steerhide and more audible feedback. Again, my steerhide strop isn't broken in so it is hard to compare. Despite having more draw, it still had a somewhat 'slick' feel to it.
I may try comparing side by side with my DIY bridle tonight and add some pics.
Overall, I really liked the steerdovan strop and would definitely consider choosing it if I were ordering a strop from @Tony Miller today.

Those look like great strops for the money.

Had an Illinois. I’ve got an SRD now but can’t wait for the plain vanilla. Sorry for the hijack.

Ok you guys helped me pick out the TM plain vanilla and I really like it. I want another TM strop from the premium line up. I have been watching this tread for some time but for some reason I am draw to the Notovan. Has anyone used the steer-doven and the notovan? All my straights are full hollows except on full wedge if that makes any difference. Maybe Mr. @Tony Miller could tell me if he had to pick one what his choice would be.

@Kudu22 I have used pretty much everything Tony has offered except for the vegan strop, anyway in regard to your question I believe the Notovan is a glassier smoother strop but then I’m not sure what the draw is like on the steerdovan now since it’s been used a lot but when I first received it the strop had a somewhat gritty feel but the draw was close.

Thought I'd share the reason I'm not in for the PIF.
IMG_20190613_210840-01.jpeg

IMG_20190613_210816-01.jpeg

3" TM Steerdovan in Black on Black as an early Father's Day gift. Fantastic!

Just unpacked it tonight. Spent about 30 minutes hand rubbing it and then tried a few laps with a Friodur 72 1/2.

Draw is about what I remember, maybe a little more glassy. Still a very "light" draw, IMHO. Felt some "graininess" when rubbing, but no such sensation with the blade. Even with my heavier stropping, the blade just slid along the length with barely a whisper. After only 4 - 6 laps I could feel a change in the quality of the edge as it slid along. Seems every bit as effective in the "final version" as it did in the tester. Bottom line... Love it, love it, love it!

And of course, the finish and attention to detail in the construction is outstanding. Just beautiful! Pure @Tony Miller in every way.

Ok you guys helped me pick out the TM plain vanilla and I really like it. I want another TM strop from the premium line up. I have been watching this tread for some time but for some reason I am draw to the Notovan. Has anyone used the steer-doven and the notovan? All my straights are full hollows except on full wedge if that makes any difference. Maybe Mr. @Tony Miller could tell me if he had to pick one what his choice would be.

Kudu22:
I can't speak about the Steerdovan as I've never used it but I have a handful of great strops including Tony's 2.5" Heirloom Old No.2 Notovan with flax linen.
I have been using his strop exclusively after honing for about a year and it's well broken in. The draw is what I would describe as lightly magnetic and has gotten lighter as the strop broke in.
The draw on this strop falls right between a Neil Miller Horween and a Scrupleworks Oil tanned Horsebutt, the linen component is just right and I would recommend it as a second on any of Tony's strops.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is a current source for 3" genuine flax linen, the main reason strop makers don't offer flax seconds in 3", another option might be to get a single 3" Notovan strop and then a single flax linen. I started out on 3" strops then switched to narrower strops and never looked back.
I don't know if Tony will produce singles.

Would really like to try Tony's linen strop and see how it compares to his cotton. If I had gotten my strop from Tony, I would have chosen flax linen.
This made me think. Do different razors perform differently on different strops.
I think some guys have mentioned preferring different strops for hollow grinds and wedges.
Had an Illinois. I’ve got an SRD now but can’t wait for the plain vanilla. Sorry for the hijack.
PM me your address and I'll let you know when I send it your way.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The draw on this strop falls right between a Neil Miller Horween and a Scrupleworks Oil tanned Horsebutt, the linen component is just right and I would recommend it as a second on any of Tony's strops.

I think the variation you are seeing is likely just variations from batch to batch. All three of us are (were) using Horween Horsebutt and they really only do 3 tannages on that, Cordovan, Chromexcel and Veg tanned. Every batch I have ever gotten from them, while similar, felt or looked a bit different each time.

Tony is going to set me up with a variation of the 3" Notovan and a 2.5" Flax linen. He truly knows how to please a customer with his service.

Tony is going to set me up with a variation of the 3" Notovan and a 2.5" Flax linen. He truly knows how to please a customer with his service.
I got a great deal on a "used" (could pass for new) TM strop locally and the seller talked about how friendly and helpful Tony was.

Top Bottom