What's new

Steep Angle Shavers Alliance

Steep angle update time.

I've been shaving a lot recently with a RazoRock Game Changer .68P, which seems to prefer a nice down-the-line 45-degree angle. It's about as neutral as neutral gets.

However, I also picked up pre- and post-war Gillette Techs recently, and all those supposedly "mild" razors have done so far is give me truly epic razor burn when used with my typical 45-degree angle. And that's with as little pressure as I can possibly manage.

So, being the kind of gent who JUST WON'T GIVE UP, I decided to do a little experimentation late this morning, a couple hours after a GC68P shave with an experimental (for me) shallow angle that barely reached SAS level. Talk about a terrible way to start a Monday!

With just a bit of water and shaving cream to smooth things over, I experimented on different parts of my face with the post-war Tech to see if I could find the optimal shaving angle in terms of comfort. Not a real full shave, just experimenting by feel.

Lo and behold, it seems that the Tech works best for me with a Really Steep angle. Starting from the bar resting on my face, I move up until the blade is barely contacting the face. The blade angle must have been at least 70 degrees, but it wasn't digging in at all. The Tech just zipped comfortably along my face even with absolutely no prep other than a little water and a small dab of shaving cream.

By contrast, at a shallow angle all the Tech did was bounce uncomfortably along my face and catch every so often--with either a Feather or an Astra SP in place. No thank you!

I'm eager to try a good steep scrape with the Tech at my next shaving opportunity.

Steep angle update to the update:

Did a proper neck shave this morning with the Tech using a Feather. Experimented with both steep and shallow angles.

Shallow angle wins it with the Tech, alas. The Tech just doesn't cut enough hair at a steep angle, and the shallow angle is very comfortable with this razor.

Note that by "shallow," I mean an angle where the bar is still touching my face. With this razor, I'm not sure you could actually engage the blade on a real face (not a hard surface) without the bar touching at least a little. I pivoted down from cap-only to find the initial contact with the blade, and the bar is touching at that point.

Extremely steep is comfortable with the Tech; it just doesn't accomplish anything.

Top Bottom