What's new

Steep Angle Shavers Alliance

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Officially announcing a new club called Steep Angle Shavers Alliance a.k.a. SASA for all who tend to, or are committed, steep anglers, and find that steep angle shaving gives a less irritation, more efficient, shave. To join simply announce on this thread that "I'm in" and feel free to add SASA to your signature. This is the place to post your thoughts and feedback on your experiences with steep angle shaving. This includes everything from hardware choice to pre-shave routines, shave, and post shave feel. I only ask to please stay on topic of Steep Angle Shaving. Welcome aboard!

Thanks and Cheers!
Raven

Last edited:
Hi.

For my own clarity, how do you define "Steep"? With the razor handle at a smaller angle (closer) to the face?

If the answer to that is "Yes", then I'm in too. :)

IMG_0502.JPG
One in the wild

The Baseplate Upside Down Shavers Alliance sends a warm welcome to the Steep Angle Shavers Alliance and to all of its (future) members!

This may require its own thread. In my experience, the upside down baseplate models are extremely dear to their owners. At a certain site, they are often listed for 4 times more than what you might expect to pay for their baseplate right brothers on the BST. And double even their baseplate right siblings on the auction site. This pricing structure is part of the allure. Let's face it. Finding reviews is impossible. There must be something to these rare and valuable razors only known by the cognoscenti.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This may require its own thread. In my experience, the upside down baseplate models are extremely dear to their owners. At a certain site, they are often listed for 4 times more than what you might expect to pay for their baseplate right brothers on the BST. And double even their baseplate right siblings on the auction site. This pricing structure is part of the allure. Let's face it. Finding reviews is impossible. There must be something to these rare and valuable razors only known by the cognoscenti.
Thanks for the very informative info Kola! I've never personally tried one. I do hear they are quite popular among the shallow angle crowd due to their symmetry! :laugh:

I'm in as well.

I shaved for 40+ years at a shallow angle. My dad shaved all his life at a steep angle, and I thought he was nuts.

About a year ago I made it a point to at least try steep angle shaving for at least a week and guess what? I hated it at first, but grew to love it after a couple of full shaves. The bonus was that there were razors that always gave me an OK but not great shave at a shallow angle, the Muhle R41 and iKon Tech, that now give me amazing shaves.

I'm also an Excalibur member and the move to steep angle shaving hasn't hurt my numbers one bit; I can still get 80 easy shaves on most blades.

.. and I just knocked over my half-full coffee cup :-(

I'm in as well.

I shaved for 40+ years at a shallow angle. My dad shaved all his life at a steep angle, and I thought he was nuts.

About a year ago I made it a point to at least try steep angle shaving for at least a week and guess what? I hated it at first, but grew to love it after a couple of full shaves. The bonus was that there were razors that always gave me an OK but not great shave at a shallow angle, the Muhle R41 and iKon Tech, that now give me amazing shaves.

I'm also an Excalibur member and the move to steep angle shaving hasn't hurt my numbers one bit; I can still get 80 easy shaves on most blades.

Sorry for you cup of coffee... but glad to have you here!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm in as well.

Rudy, At some point I may have to go Excalibur but not today. I did go 11 days on a Gillette Platinum easily, and it did have plenty more life. Right now I just change out once a week even though the second week gives buttery smooth shaves.

It does seem counter-intuitive to go steep. Right now I'm on a Muhle r41 kick and it loves a steep angle like my Fatip's. I've even found my 34c and r89 handle a steeper angle better even within a narrower range. If I go shallow with them I end up with a bit of burn.

It took me a while... a looong while to go steep... I've always thought any razor has two angles, the right one and the rest... One day, of course, found out that the 'right angle' was a steep one... Comfortable and efficient...

Top Bottom