What's new

Single Edge SEptember 2021

I scored a NOS Schick M1 adjustable from the Bay and set about testing whether it’s me or the Parker to blame. It was very satisfying to be the one to push the blank blade out of a 60 year old (or new?) razor and load a new Chinese Schick blade. After thoroughly cleaning the razor just to be sure, I set the dial to 4 to start and, unlike with the Parker, was almost immediately able to find the proper angle. I had a lovely three pass shave that I will rate as DFS all around with the cheeks being buttery smooth. I did adjust the dial down by one with each successive pass. Also, brush was a PAA Atomic Rocket and soap was Proraso red.

The build quality of the razor is impressive, with a sturdy feel and more heft than I expected. It came with a cartridge of Schick Krona Chrome Super Chromium blades and a case that I doubt is original (not worried about it). This is my most exciting shaving experience to date. Something tells me there’s more SEs in my future…
7CECC99D-AB6E-4CEA-ACF9-8768B869EE3B.jpegE7DA5A12-8D59-4E29-98ED-AB908C26D2ED.jpeg37FF12C1-57F6-4DE7-B3A4-96549E40CE45.jpeg747FDC2E-3585-45A5-9CA1-C7A15F80A675.jpeg8683C423-79D6-4A44-9242-181563B1CF42.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
Schick E3 Injector
Schick (1)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: face wash with PdP Milk bath soap
Lather: Col Conk Unscented
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Aftershave; Ulm Nom

Great razor. Poor operator.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Schick adjustable injector M1
Blade: Chick, shave #6
Soap: Cella Bio
Brush: Sterling Synthetic Tuxedo
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Cella original A/S splash

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

I think I've concluded that this soap is the slickest in my den. Will shave with old Tabac tomorrow, but this stuff is slicker than greased owl snot! Great shave!

20210908_shave.jpg

Sept 8 shave. New razor.

IMG_5593.jpg

Razor: Occam's OREN
Soap: PAA Diver Down (one of my favs)
AS: PAA Diver Down
Brush: Stirling Fan Knot
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

This is a new razor I bought from a member here. I am just starting to get into the SE razor scene. Been DE shaving for over a decade now so I thought I'd try something new. I used the 2 dot plate with a Feather Pro blade....overall good shave with no irritation. Very smooth shaver with good balance, but on the lighter weight side. The blade is super easy to insert. This one will need a few outings to perfect as the handle is a bit strange feeling compared to the more traditional round style. My shave was not quite as close as what I get from the Colonial General, but I've used that one a few times now. One thing I have noticed with my brief stint into SE razors is that the shave tends to last just a bit longer than with my DE.....referring to how quickly my whiskers grow back.

So far, I believe I prefer the AC format over the Injector format. Both provide close shaves, but the AC format for whatever reason leaves behind less irritation...as in none. I always feel my skin for a bit after using an injector...not sure why...maybe I use too much pressure since they are light weight razors. Anyway, good shave for today.

Razor: Parker V1 Adjustable Injector
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210907_083853.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday September 8, 2021 (SEptember 3st)
Razor: PAA Starling V2OC
Blade: Personna Stainless PTFE (1)
Brush: Omega
Soap: Yardley

IMG_0549[1].JPG

The Starling was my first OC razor. Also my first really close shave after hacking away with a DE for a while. The original aluminum handle was too light for my preference, so I add a stainless handle for a little extra mass. Collection of "bloody swords" included for amusement value. I have now used all three of the formats I have at least once, and will continue to rotate through them until they're all done.

O.H.

SEptember 8
Schick Type M 2
Schick Twin blade (3)
Knothead with a 24mm SynBad
MWS Sensitive Skin

Set the dial to 5 and was rewarded with another great shave. At times, I could feel a little more blade, but still so smooth and comfy! If I am feeling adventurous, I may go up to 6 tomorrow!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (9)
Ω10048 boar brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: Face wash with PdP milk bath soap
Lather: Col Conk Unscented
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower

Started seriously using the guillotine stroke/Gillette slide on cleanup and it made both maneuverability and efficiency better.

Think I’m sticking with this razor for a while because the technique can be done with any razor, but the 50mm bad bois almost demand it. And then either still sticking with this razor or going back to the MMOC and Fatip Grande that don’t need the technique, but would heavily bene from it - especially on the chin and upper lip whiskers

Sept 9 Shave:

IMG_5594.jpg

Razor: Schick I Injector (new to me)
Soap: Cella Bio
AS: Cella Bio
Brush: Mistura Taj

I had a great shave today with my newly acquired I series Schick injector. This one may be the best injector razor I have. Super smooth and efficient while being very maneuverable. I'm really starting to like the Cella Bio...it may just be the best performing non artisan soap I have tried (this and maybe LaToja). Overall great shave, but so far, I don't think any of my SE razors will unseat my top DE's.....we'll see. Maybe I'll think differently by the end of the month.

Top Bottom