What's new

Single Edge SEptember 2021

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Schick adjustable injector M1
Blade: Chick, shave #7
Soap: RR Santa Maria del Fiore
Brush: Omega Professional (well broken in)
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Sterling Sharp Dressed Man A/S splash

BBS, 10 / 10

There it is! I do not normally go for the BBS, there is no point, it takes too long, and often leads to more irritation. But this is my last shave on the Schick for a while because as much as I am enjoying it, I want to get back to running my blade series through my fat-handle tech and 1940's SS project. I know this blade would go much longer, but a week is enough, and I decided to finish off with attempting a BBS.

Shave took a half hour, but I was extremely careful about angles and pressure and got a comfortable BBS, to boot! No more than normal alcohol burn with the splash, face feels great! I won't do another BBS attempt likely for a couple years, because...well, I just don't care that much, but this was certainly impressive. My old high school razor still holds its own!

20210909_shave.jpg

SEptember 9:
I over sleep today, so I grabbed some shave gear and stumbled into my bathroom at 4:45AM.
First Point of clarification: There is NO Shave Den at that time of the morning, when already running late.

What is that I smell, could it be marzipan? After splashing water on my face I could open my eyes enough to see…behold it’s VITOS Extra Super accompanied by my Simpsons Chubby 3 LE Sovereign Fibre. Wonderful lather is just moments away, my day is already getting better.

Hmmm, what razor would provide the results and panache to accompany a quick trip to Italy… of course a GEM BMMOC.

Quick, abundant, and slick lather was whisked away three times with great results. My early morning escapade is over already, if only there was a small souvenir to to remind me throughout the day…

Oh Captain my Captain! Enter Captain’s Choice Italia, a small pleasure to carry me through the day.
18FDCEDB-D29A-479A-83F9-904E50DDEAA9.jpeg
15CAAE0E-10F2-4B76-8EA9-42CE28AAD975.jpeg
2D820B66-2579-4E10-BEFB-40044354E62D.jpeg

Pre-shave: Soap warm water along with homemade pre-shave oil (castor oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, shea nut oil)
Soap: Proraso red
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Schick Adjustable Injector M1 on 4
Blade: Chick (2)
Post-shave: None

Very nice shave. First time using my homemade pre-shave oil which really helped smooth out the XTG/ATG passes along the jawline. I also didn't need an aftershave because my skin was still hydrated from the pre-shave. Loving the new Shick...just a wonderful thing to hold and use.

I'll call it an 8.5/10. As always, a work in progress.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Friday's shave

Razor: Schick injector, Canadian E4
Blade: Chick, shave #1
Soap: TOBS Lavender cream
Brush: Ever Ready 150 reknotted w/TGN 24mm Silvertip badger
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Barrister & Man Reserve Lavender A/S splash

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Wow again! This was my first dance with this razor, and since I intentionally went for a BBS yesterday (and got it) I decided to take it easy today and just do my "regular" 3-pass shave. I believe this is the best shaving razor I own, bar none. Very close, very comfortable, wonderfully ergonomic. Fantastic razor, just fantastic.

20210910_shave.jpg

The other day I posted a photo of my razor from the eBay listing, and it was open. Several folks here noted that it should not have been open and worried about possible damage. I've done some research, and of course these people were right, the pin and notch was put there by Gillete to discourage opening it. However, there were no other changes to the razor from the E1 design, so opening it is not dangerous, per se, it's that you might bend the spring or the head or otherwise get it out of whack when opening it. This vendor did no damage, the razor looks, loaded, and shaved just fine. However, I would encourage others who have these razors with the pinned springs to not open them. If you feel you must for some reason, be very, very careful. But it can be done, as evidenced by my razor. I won't ever open it, though.

I am no Schick expert, nor am I a historian, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but my own humble opinion is that the reason Eversharp started trying to fix the spring may, emphasize may be because after repeated opening the rotating part may have gotten loose, or something else deteriorated with repeated openings. They did have in their instruction sheet that you should open if for cleaning prior to the later E types. As I recall they had a fairly hefty warranty, and it would not surprise me if they were getting returned razors for weakening from repeated opening. Anyway, they were pinned to prevent it, but my razor is obviously none the worse for it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, SEptember 10th 2021, A very inexpensive shave today for those who do not like to spend money on finer gear.

Razor: Yaqi 50mm V1 Excalibur, great tame mid range, great daily driver for most folks, I get close shaves with this nice razor.
Blade: Chinese Blue injector (2), sharp & smooth with some longevity, not top tier, good pricing.
Soap: Gillette Pure, nice scent, excellent lather qualities IMO. Affordable for most.
Brush: Yaqi 22mm Cola, Small foot print, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrub, great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my V1 Yaqi Excalibur + a China blue blade.
SOTD,  Sep 10th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Friday's shave

Razor: Schick injector, Canadian E4
Blade: Chick, shave #1
Soap: TOBS Lavender cream
Brush: Ever Ready 150 reknotted w/TGN 24mm Silvertip badger
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Barrister & Man Reserve Lavender A/S splash

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Wow again! This was my first dance with this razor, and since I intentionally went for a BBS yesterday (and got it) I decided to take it easy today and just do my "regular" 3-pass shave. I believe this is the best shaving razor I own, bar none. Very close, very comfortable, wonderfully ergonomic. Fantastic razor, just fantastic.

View attachment 1325814

The other day I posted a photo of my razor from the eBay listing, and it was open. Several folks here noted that it should not have been open and worried about possible damage. I've done some research, and of course these people were right, the pin and notch was put there by Gillete to discourage opening it. However, there were no other changes to the razor from the E1 design, so opening it is not dangerous, per se, it's that you might bend the spring or the head or otherwise get it out of whack when opening it. This vendor did no damage, the razor looks, loaded, and shaved just fine. However, I would encourage others who have these razors with the pinned springs to not open them. If you feel you must for some reason, be very, very careful. But it can be done, as evidenced by my razor. I won't ever open it, though.

I am no Schick expert, nor am I a historian, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but my own humble opinion is that the reason Eversharp started trying to fix the spring may, emphasize may be because after repeated opening the rotating part may have gotten loose, or something else deteriorated with repeated openings. They did have in their instruction sheet that you should open if for cleaning prior to the later E types. As I recall they had a fairly hefty warranty, and it would not surprise me if they were getting returned razors for weakening from repeated opening. Anyway, they were pinned to prevent it, but my razor is obviously none the worse for it.
A very good read, full of good humor and good info! Thanks!

Mark Cross/Schick Proline/MDC. Handles like a dream.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
That is an interesting razor! Do have more info on it? It looks like it would be a GEM blade to my untrained eye, lol! But definitely looks like something I might go hunting for. Thanks!

That is an interesting razor! Do have more info on it? It looks like it would be a GEM blade to my untrained eye, lol! But definitely looks like something I might go hunting for. Thanks!
It used a Christy type blade as pictured. Very brief production in 1913 but a lot were sold at the time. If the head is tight it will take an Injector blade or two half DE blades.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Razor: Schick L1 Injector Razor (Warner-Lambert)
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Razor: Schick L1 Injector Razor (Warner-Lambert)
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210909_081013.jpg

Top Bottom