What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Paul, SUPER SCORE! Nice!

I sure know what you mean about not wanting to use some Razors. I recently acquired a NOS "Shake Sharp" in Leather (type) case w/instructions and it's flawless! I'm conflicted on using the SS.

SixCats!

Hi all,

Well, I couldn't resist, I purchased my fourth Razor (from one seller) in the past three weeks.
(Please note, the following are borrowed photographs of the same items I purchased today).
The GEM Micromatic I purchased today is in much nicer condition (possibly NOS) than pictured below.
Mine came in this cool (sort of Art Deco) Green (Bakelite ?) plastic case along with instructions/guarantee.
I carefully washed/cleaned/dried the Micromatic just on general principle. I also used a tiny bit of Flitz.
Looks GREAT! Oooh, I also purchased some (NOS) Blades. Surgical Edge and Clark Blades.
Thus far, this is the most I've paid for a Vintage Razor. All said and done however, I don't think I really overpaid at $40.00 (total) for the NOS Micromatic and two packs of vintage blades.

SixCats!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
That is Awesome! The MMOC may be one of the best razors of any type ever produced.

Hi jfume,

Thanks jfume, tis truly a beautiful NOS Razor. Man, I'm due for a Shave (I go about five/six days to shave because I can). Perhaps I should try my MMOC ahead of the others I've recently purchased as I hear nothing but rave reviews about the MMOC! Or.....do I TEASE myself (masochist that I am) lol.

SixCats!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Found this old Star lather Catcher that was on _bay that was in excellent condition and was not used that much IMO.
Star Catcher 2.2 (2).jpg
Star lather catcher1.1 (2).jpg Star Lather catcher 3.3 (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

@Ron R ,

Hi Ron. Man, that STAR Razor is just too cool and AWESOME looking! Congrats on a super purchase!
Oooh man, now I have to find myself a STAR! Enjoy.

SixCats!

Ron R

@Ron R that looks beautiful. I look forward to reading your review of how it shaves.
Could we see some comparison shots between it and the Gem Jr. Bar?
Very similar with a few minor changes like the back clasp has a indent and handle is different but the rest is very similar.
LC Compare 1 (2).jpg LC Compare 2 (2).jpg LC Compare 3 (2).jpg Enjoy!
Have some great shaves!

Very similar with a few minor changes like the back clasp has a indent and handle is different but the rest is very similar.
View attachment 973372 View attachment 973373 View attachment 973374 Enjoy!
Have some great shaves!

Very nice. As stated I look forward to your shave report. I wonder if the blade exposure is the same to give similar shave or if these are more aggressive. Sorry the terms such as blade reveal and exposure get a bit muddy. I hope I used the correct one.

Like twin sisters. If you care, you can tell the difference. Or there both pretty and you don't care which is which.

This morning I found this small box with a single edge safety razor marked " Price $1.00, Trussler's Special W. TRUSLER Dealer in Hardware, Implements, Groceries, Dry Goods, Shoes, Clothing & General Merchandise. Eskridge, Kan." Imagine my surprise to find it still in the original tissue wrap! The photos show it being unwrapped, probably for the first time. The simple, single edge razor has no other information other than what you see on the blade cover. The directions isa small heavy paper insert. I realize this is a universal razor with a box branded for Trusler but still a good find. Eskridge, KS is about 30 miles away and it is the Wabaunsee County seat.
003.JPG
004.JPG

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 18
This morning I found this small box with a single edge safety razor marked " Price $1.00, Trussler's Special W. TRUSLER Dealer in Hardware, Implements, Groceries, Dry Goods, Shoes, Clothing & General Merchandise. Eskridge, Kan." Imagine my surprise to find it still in the original tissue wrap! The photos show it being unwrapped, probably for the first time. The simple, single edge razor has no other information other than what you see on the blade cover. The directions isa small heavy paper insert. I realize this is a universal razor with a box branded for Trusler but still a good find. Eskridge, KS is about 30 miles away and it is the Wabaunsee County seat.
View attachment 975439 View attachment 975440
That is so cool when you can grab a piece of history like that. Congrats!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
View attachment 975439 View attachment 975440
Great find, congratulations.

Picked up this beautiful GEM Jr 1912 from a member here with the pack of blades. Had my first SE shave ever today, and it was more aggressive than I anticipated. I was left with a few nicks on my upper lip and a decent weeper on my neck. When I used alum, every inch of my face stung. Any tips and tricks for me? I heard about how the angle is different than a DE and discovered that while shaving. Should I be letting the top cap glide over my face as in just barely touching it? I definitely had a more shallow angle than my DE's (riding the cap), but the cap wasn't touching my face, there was still space. Also, as I continue to practice with this razor, which I'll be using all month, are there any other blade options I should be looking at?

proxy.php

Ron R

Picked up this beautiful GEM Jr 1912 from a member here with the pack of blades. Had my first SE shave ever today, and it was more aggressive than I anticipated. I was left with a few nicks on my upper lip and a decent weeper on my neck. When I used alum, every inch of my face stung. Any tips and tricks for me? I heard about how the angle is different than a DE and discovered that while shaving. Should I be letting the top cap glide over my face as in just barely touching it? I definitely had a more shallow angle than my DE's (riding the cap), but the cap wasn't touching my face, there was still space. Also, as I continue to practice with this razor, which I'll be using all month, are there any other blade options I should be looking at?

proxy.php
It does take a few shaves to dial the razor in and the 1912 is one of the best Gem razors made, I started out with a G bar model and it is milder than a 1912 and it took at least 2-3 shaves to figure it out and after that never had any issues.
Hope this helps, a lot of used GEM razors usually do not come with instructions and technique is very important to get great shaves.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

proxy.php

First off what @Ron R said. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to Gem razors and there cousins Star and Ever-ready.
Keep us posted on your progress over in the Micromatic Monday and or Gem Razor Models threads. There is a wealth of information on the razors over there. What blades did you receive with the razor? Sometimes the first shave can be harsh then progressively the blade tames a bit and technique improves at the same time.

Hit a flea market today looking for goodies. I purchased the Coke bottle opener and the guy gave me the Gem Micro. It’s in rough shape but still operates. So this one may be the razor I get replated, if they can.

Top Bottom