What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well I have been buying some more gear and most of it were in lots that seems to work well for me with shipping.
A Brand new Schick NOS with a brass blank with my Damaskeene OC was a pleasant surprise.
Haul 1 (2).jpg

I like the stick Schick and got to have some fun shaving once in a while.(Might try a double edge in it down the road.)
Stick Schick with a 20 year warranty from a G Schick  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

This was just too purty to leave alone at the flea market. 1930’s open comb micromatic in almost new/mint condition. I normally pass on ocmm’s but looked to good with the case also perfect with both blade banks

View attachment 967982 View attachment 967983 View attachment 967984

Well I have been buying some more gear and most of it were in lots that seems to work well for me with shipping.
A Brand new Schick NOS with a brass blank with my Damaskeene OC was a pleasant surprise.
View attachment 969731

I like the stick Schick and got to have some fun shaving once in a while.(Might try a double edge in it down the road.)
View attachment 969732
Have some great shaves!

I go off the grid for a week and this thread starts overheating with cool vintage finds! Congratulations, all!

View attachment 969731

View attachment 969732
Have some great shaves!
Awesome score on the OC Damaskeene! I've never seen one with a long handle like that. Does it double as a stropping handle?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Awesome score on the OC Damaskeene! I've never seen one with a long handle like that. Does it double as a stropping handle?
I lucked out on that one, did not pay a lot for two excellent razors (NOS Schick E series). The stropping attachment goes up inside the handle as your are seeing and I kind of like the extra length and I have not shaved with it yet so that will tell me if I want it left inside when I try it out next week.

I lucked out on that one, did not pay a lot for two excellent razors (NOS Schick E series). The stropping attachment goes up inside the handle as your are seeing and I kind of like the extra length and I have not shaved with it yet so that will tell me if I want it left inside when I try it out next week.
I'll be interested to hear how it compares with other 1912s.
Also those Es are wonderful shavers I just used my E-2 this morning.

View attachment 969731

View attachment 969732
Have some great shaves!

Double Edge in a schick injector??

I go off the grid for a week and this thread starts overheating with cool vintage finds! Congratulations, all!

Now if you don't already have a lather catcher you have to get 2 to make up for lost time.

My second Streamline. Picked this up in a lot of 5 razors, and sold the other four for what I paid for the lot. So this is a 'freebie.' I little bit of corrosion on the handle, but pretty good overall.
st2.jpg

My second Streamline. Picked this up in a lot of 5 razors, and sold the other four for what I paid for the lot. So this is a 'freebie.' I little bit of corrosion on the handle, but pretty good overall. View attachment 970372

Nice. Is that comb fully closed? Its hard to tell from the picture. If it is - its the first generation Streamline. If you post a picture of the base plate - we can identify it for sure.

I have two 2nd generations - one Ill be posting in BST to hopefully trade for a 1st generation.

Best razor I have ever used. Here's mine - see the comb - the 2nd gens. have gaps in between the comb's teeth - and note the baseplate of mine - does yours look like that?

s-l16004.jpg
s-l16002.jpg

Nice. Is that comb fully closed? Its hard to tell from the picture. If it is - its the first generation Streamline. If you post a picture of the base plate - we can identify it for sure.

I have two 2nd generations - one Ill be posting in BST to hopefully trade for a 1st generation.

Best razor I have ever used. Here's mine - see the comb - the 2nd gens. have gaps in between the comb's teeth - and note the baseplate of mine - does yours look like that?

View attachment 970733 View attachment 970734
I think that is the same as both of mine. I will have to look once I get home.

Hi all,

Well, I couldn't resist, I purchased my fourth Razor (from one seller) in the past three weeks.
(Please note, the following are borrowed photographs of the same items I purchased today).
The GEM Micromatic I purchased today is in much nicer condition (possibly NOS) than pictured below.
Mine came in this cool (sort of Art Deco) Green (Bakelite ?) plastic case along with instructions/guarantee.
I carefully washed/cleaned/dried the Micromatic just on general principle. I also used a tiny bit of Flitz.
Looks GREAT! Oooh, I also purchased some (NOS) Blades. Surgical Edge and Clark Blades.
Thus far, this is the most I've paid for a Vintage Razor. All said and done however, I don't think I really overpaid at $40.00 (total) for the NOS Micromatic and two packs of vintage blades.

SixCats!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

When the Gem push button razor came out, ASR ran a lot of ads showing it in a rather nifty stand-up presentation case. I was fascinated by this and decided to look for one to see what it was like, because the razor standing up with its name vertically on the front is a gorgeous bit of industrial art to me.

Late last week one that was nearly complete popped up at a reasonable price, didn't get much attention because of poor photography. I took a chance and offered $17 plus shipping, it was accepted and it arrived early this week. I got much more than I paid for. A NOS razor with all the original paperwork, missing only the cartridge of blades it came with.

Somehow luck was still with me, and somebody else was selling same-vintage NOS cartridges of ten Gem blades, also for a reasonable price for two. BINed that, and it arrived today. So this is what I now have.

file2-1.jpeg file.jpeg file1.jpeg file3.jpeg file-2.jpeg file1-2.jpeg file3-1.jpeg

The razor has clearly never been used, the gold wash shines like new but it is not perfectly flawless. Normally when I buy a razor it has to earn its keep around here and get used for shaving. I don't think that's going to happen with this. I have three perfectly working Micromatics, it's hard to risk damaging a brand new 60-year-old razor, and it's extremely difficult to get the case's clear plastic cover off and extract the razor from it. For as long as I keep this, it's going to be a museum piece I think. The risk of further damage to that clear plastic case is just too high - it already has tiny cracks in the back corners where the back of the razor fits into it and any more activity there is likely to tear them badly. It's also hard to get the bottom of the case over the bumps and off in the first place without prying. But it sure it pretty as it stands.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Well, I couldn't resist, I purchased my fourth Razor (from one seller) in the past three weeks.
(Please note, the following are borrowed photographs of the same items I purchased today).
The GEM Micromatic I purchased today is in much nicer condition (possibly NOS) than pictured below.
Mine came in this cool (sort of Art Deco) Green (Bakelite ?) plastic case along with instructions/guarantee.
I carefully washed/cleaned/dried the Micromatic just on general principle. I also used a tiny bit of Flitz.
Looks GREAT! Oooh, I also purchased some (NOS) Blades. Surgical Edge and Clark Blades.
Thus far, this is the most I've paid for a Vintage Razor. All said and done however, I don't think I really overpaid at $40.00 (total) for the NOS Micromatic and two packs of vintage blades.

SixCats!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is another gorgeous piece of art. I'm jealous

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When the Gem push button razor came out, ASR ran a lot of ads showing it in a rather nifty stand-up presentation case. I was fascinated by this and decided to look for one to see what it was like, because the razor standing up with its name vertically on the front is a gorgeous bit of industrial art to me.

Late last week one that was nearly complete popped up at a reasonable price, didn't get much attention because of poor photography. I took a chance and offered $17 plus shipping, it was accepted and it arrived early this week. I got much more than I paid for. A NOS razor with all the original paperwork, missing only the cartridge of blades it came with.

Somehow luck was still with me, and somebody else was selling same-vintage NOS cartridges of ten Gem blades, also for a reasonable price for two. BINed that, and it arrived today. So this is what I now have.

View attachment 971505 View attachment 971506 View attachment 971507 View attachment 971508 View attachment 971509 View attachment 971510 View attachment 971511

The razor has clearly never been used, the gold wash shines like new but it is not perfectly flawless. Normally when I buy a razor it has to earn its keep around here and get used for shaving. I don't think that's going to happen with this. I have three perfectly working Micromatics, it's hard to risk damaging a brand new 60-year-old razor, and it's extremely difficult to get the case's clear plastic cover off and extract the razor from it. For as long as I keep this, it's going to be a museum piece I think. The risk of further damage to that clear plastic case is just too high - it already has tiny cracks in the back corners where the back of the razor fits into it and any more activity there is likely to tear them badly. It's also hard to get the bottom of the case over the bumps and off in the first place without prying. But it sure it pretty as it stands.
Beautiful razor, congratulations.

Top Bottom