What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

Yes, my son living in Jackson, Ms had plans to take the grandson down to Covington, La so he could see an alligator farm /display and left this morning. I called hoping they stayed home but no, stubborn. Looked at the weather and should be ok today, probable heavy rain and winds tomorrow. Told him he should reschedule, but no. Just hope they stay safe. While in the USAF I had to sit through a couple on the coast and got caught by on in Orlando while at a military medical convention, definetly no fun.

This, I am afraid, is very true now that healthcare in ANY form is being SO regulated by government rules. Pre-HIPPA, and electronic charting, things were a lot easier, BUT money has ALWAYS been a big part of the game of medicine, be it emergency, psych, geriatric, or just the old family doctor.

But now there is no pretense. It is ALL about money. I hate to say it, but I am so glad my son studied business. I really wanted him to go in to healthcare, but I could not in good conscience recommend it to any young person.

For the amount of responsibility, and liability, well, let's just say it's becoming as stressful as active duty in the military. PTSD is rampant. And the pay is good, in some states, and some specialties, but I think we made about a third of what we should have if life was fair. Lol, we got guys in the major leagues making millions working 6 months a year that don't even get on base 25% of the time!
You said it. When I started hospital were run by doctors. They had a business manager but major decisions affecting patient care was controlled and directed by the medical staff. Then the MBA types started and nurses started controllling too much. Makes me glad I no longer work in a hospital, just doing relief work in some local pharmacies, mostly a small regional grocery chain. When I walk in I am totally in charge, and basically follow state and federal law, and a few well known company rules reguarding pharmacy. It's usually on weekends so no one to fall back on or no one to try to give orders. Been doing it that way for about 7 years now and no complaints so all is good.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You said it. When I started hospital were run by doctors. They had a business manager but major decisions affecting patient care was controlled and directed by the medical staff. Then the MBA types started and nurses started controllling too much. Makes me glad I no longer work in a hospital, just doing relief work in some local pharmacies, mostly a small regional grocery chain. When I walk in I am totally in charge, and basically follow state and federal law, and a few well known company rules reguarding pharmacy. It's usually on weekends so no one to fall back on or no one to try to give orders. Been doing it that way for about 7 years now and no complaints so all is good.
This setup is the ONLY way I will nurse again. I have kept my license as an RN, and dutifully pretend to do my CEU requirements, since the law is a joke.

Eventually I want to do volunteer stuff for the "dual diagnosis" folks I miss werking with....but answering to bean counters with too much makeup liked to kill me.

Yes, my son living in Jackson, Ms had plans to take the grandson down to Covington, La so he could see an alligator farm /display and left this morning. I called hoping they stayed home but no, stubborn. Looked at the weather and should be ok today, probable heavy rain and winds tomorrow. Told him he should reschedule, but no. Just hope they stay safe. While in the USAF I had to sit through a couple on the coast and got caught by on in Orlando while at a military medical convention, definetly no fun.

Tell your son to get moving towards home. From ARRL:

Southern Louisiana, including New Orleans, has been ordered to evacuate.
Traffic on major highways through Alabama and North Florida is already
highly congested. Many will flee to the Atlanta area, as they have in
the past. ARES will assist evacuees in these areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Getting ready to head over to my buddy’s home for his surprise party. He retired. We worked together as LEO’s for 35 years.
I did his final radio end of shift call on his official last day of work.
The wife and I got him a 25 year bottle of Macallen.
What a ride this has been.
We were just kids when it started.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Getting ready to head over to my buddy’s home for his surprise party. He retired. We worked together as LEO’s for 35 years.
I did his final radio end of shift call on his official last day of work.
The wife and I got him a 25 year bottle of Macallen.
What a ride this has been.
We were just kids when it started.

Your turn. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This here's directed at ole @BigFoot : is there an acceptable way to laser chicken giblets? (Asking for a friend in Oklahoma, USA.)

martym

I started way too young. I have 3 years and 1 month to go.
We had some cookies made and they really impressed me. The person who made them did a wonderful job.
7A87770A-A4A4-49BA-B699-58E18EB254DF.jpeg

martym

Under new system it’s 20 years of service.
For me it’s 28 years of Federal service or 60 years of age.
But I did 10 years working for a local police department so that does not count toward this retirement.
I guess you could actually say I started too young and at the same time I started too late.
I was a 21 year old victim of a federal hiring freeze so I went local to get experience and have a job. It took me 10 years to get in after that.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Probably my last post for awhile, expect to lose power later today, possibly for weeks. Next post will probably come from the workplace (hospital) whenever I can return to work.

Top Bottom