What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This, I am afraid, is very true now that healthcare in ANY form is being SO regulated by government rules. Pre-HIPPA, and electronic charting, things were a lot easier, BUT money has ALWAYS been a big part of the game of medicine, be it emergency, psych, geriatric, or just the old family doctor.

But now there is no pretense. It is ALL about money. I hate to say it, but I am so glad my son studied business. I really wanted him to go in to healthcare, but I could not in good conscience recommend it to any young person.

For the amount of responsibility, and liability, well, let's just say it's becoming as stressful as active duty in the military. PTSD is rampant. And the pay is good, in some states, and some specialties, but I think we made about a third of what we should have if life was fair. Lol, we got guys in the major leagues making millions working 6 months a year that don't even get on base 25% of the time!
Too things can be blamed for medical costs- I insurance and MBAs running hospitals. In our modern world, more and more people with only a diploma are running companies. Not too long ago people worked their way up the ladder, and had a good idea how the place ran. Now they just hire MBAs for management, and about the only thing they are taught is that the bottom line is the only important thing. As to insurance, the same thing that happened to college costs and student loans happened. Hospitals charge whatever the insurance company will bear (even if the same thing is drastically cheaper in another country). Insurance raises rates. They can now bear more, so hospitals charge more. Rinse and repeat.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Living room tv went out! Still under warranty. Same one not available. Upgraded to 75” from 70”. I’ll be able to watch my hunting and fishing shows in comfort.
Also connected Bose sound bar so I can Bluetooth to my Bose headphones. Now I won’t bother household with “my” shows. Life is good!

but…. I really tried to talk her into the 82” or 86” but she was having none of that.
A man has got to know his limitations.

Ah TV. What they used to think was ruining our kids before internet came along LOL

I very much enjoyed our old cabinet tv with the knob that us kids could barely turn. It made a very satisfying "clunk" when you changed the channel. And there ain't a wall made that would hold that weight LOL. And the entire "screen" had the picture on it. Rather than my "widescreen" TV that still has a black bar across the top and bottom a good bit of the time. Why have a screen that big if ya only gonna make 75% of it show the picture?

" Rather than my "widescreen" TV that still has a black bar across the top and bottom a good bit of the time. Why have a screen that big if ya only gonna make 75% of it show the picture?"

You might go into the "settings" of your TV and/however the signal/"picture" is coming in and check what the "aspect" settings are. Most modern stuff is now produced in a 16:9 or 21:9 aspect such that the bar issues can sometimes be reduced or eliminated. Your old TV was likely 4:3

I do acknowledge many programs/movies, particularly on broadcast TV, have been "reformatted" such that the bars may be present. You may have to experiment a bit to see what looks good to you.

" Rather than my "widescreen" TV that still has a black bar across the top and bottom a good bit of the time. Why have a screen that big if ya only gonna make 75% of it show the picture?"

You might go into the "settings" of your TV and/however the signal/"picture" is coming in and check what the "aspect" settings are. Most modern stuff is now produced in a 16:9 or 21:9 aspect such that the bar issues can sometimes be reduced or eliminated. Your old TV was likely 4:3

I do acknowledge many programs/movies, particularly on broadcast TV, have been "reformatted" such that the bars may be present. You may have to experiment a bit to see what looks good to you.
Thanks for the pointers. "settings" have a tendency to make me aggravated and things work less or not at all LOL. I mostly just deal with it. I do not watch that much TV anyway. If it is light outside I feel like I need to be out there doing something. Right now it is light from 6am to 9pm or a bit longer. That is enough day for me.

I am however part chicken (sun up get up, sun down go to bed) so in the winter my days are considerably shorter LOL

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
but…. I really tried to talk her into the 82” or 86” but she was having none of that.
A man has got to know his limitations.
I managed to talk my wife into an 85” so it will fill the “tv space” in the built-ins of the house we bought. I feel kind of strange saying this, but now that we have it it’s almost too big. From a distance it’s great, but from where our couch sits It’s pretty overwhelming.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I managed to talk my wife into an 85” so it will fill the “tv space” in the built-ins of the house we bought. I feel kind of strange saying this, but now that we have it it’s almost too big. From a distance it’s great, but from where our couch sits It’s pretty overwhelming.
I bet you get used to it. We once had a humongous Sony rear projection TV back in the day, or so it seemed, it "shrunk" over time. Not sure how big it was, probably less than what you have now, but at the time it seemed excessive. When we finally got rid of it, it was just heavy, not big, picture wise.

martym

That’s what my wife is worrying about. That we would have to move the sofa all the way to the kitchen island
So we compromised and did what she wanted.

martym

I have been married 33 years. That statement is the key to marriage longevity.
Amen
I also use:
Yes dear. You’re right. I’m sorry.
if i really mess up I will add: I don’t know what I was thinking.

But I will never ever say:
I won’t do it again.
That sets her off because if it involves hunting or fishing I will probably do it again because it usually involves losing track of time and not answering my phone.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
not firearms related, but found it funny. Luckily, this place is not like the rest of the Internet

How Many Forum Members Does It Takes To Change A Light Bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 to hijack the thread and ask how to change the horn
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
not firearms related, but found it funny. Luckily, this place is not like the rest of the Internet

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
13 to say "do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again
Imma necro this post in 2026!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well I have successfully cleaned EVERY weapon I own. Got a little time off due to catching “something” last week. Came back negative on a rapid test (Tech said I shouldn’t have. WTH?) but was running a fever so work freaked! Sooooo bored! Another day and I’ll be dry firing to keep from losing it! 🤣🤣🤣

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I just plain can't STAND that ONE DUDE asking how to change the horn....

Top Bottom